lakegl

Eating out and such
We have tried quite a few places in Akbuk now and favour the Pasha on the seafront. An Irish lady married to a turkish guy and the food is great and good value. Always very busy so you may need to book. Live music some nights. A wonderful place to watch the sun set.
The Aquarium (also sea front) is good too. Great if you have kids with you. The chef often comes out and does a quick impromptu turkish dance!
In Altinkum we loved Friends which is down the side of the Burak Hotel. As you drive down to the sea front go right round as you are going back out of Altinkum again and Burak is just on the right. There is street parking there. Face Burak and down the side on the right is Friends. Mustafa, the boss, is charming and the food brilliant.
We visited the Temple at Apollon twice - couldn't believe the first visit! All of that just by the side of the road. It doesn't look much as you drive by but go in and wow! It costs just 3 lira - I've paid more for a cappuchino!
Opposite are 2 places to eat. Kenny's fish reastuarant and Apollon. Kenny is a character but a bit pushy!
We have never eaten at Apollon but were well received for drinks and Decco, the owner, offers a transfer to and from service if there are a few of you (more than 3) booked in for the evening.
More and more places are realising that we are there at the hillside and that they can get our business by offering lifts - this is a great help or one of you always has to go without a drink to drive!
We had a wonderful boat trip from Akbuk harbour. We recommend captain Musa of Hayalim boats. He is fun, charming and very handsome! It cost £10 each for a day out with lunch (barbequed on the beach) and there were various stops to swim. We found that many of the other boats are full of loud english people (surely not!) but ours had a great turkish family, traditional turkish music and (after a few beers) they were up dancing. It's so good to see how they all learn their national dances - the granny and the very youngest child and everyone in between danced the same dance together! (See photos)
Hope this all helps!
Glenda and Keith

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Eating out and such
Glenda

Lovely report, can you let me know how and where you booked your boat trip. Was it the one from the Castle Restuarant.

I love the boat trips , always gone into Altinkum but going from Akbuk would be much better

regards

Eve

manc02

Eating out and such
Hi , nice report on Akbuk restaurants, Donna in the Pasa is actually Welsh but I wont tell her you thought she was Irish.

lakegl

Eating out and such
Thanks manc02! Always have trouble with me accents!
Eve, Captain Musa (boat trip) is connected to the Aquarium restaurant. During the evning he has a booth outside his boat on the harbour and you can book direct from him - or at the Aquarium.
We have, before, booked from agents and found that it is cheaper to book direct.
Yes, we have gone from Altinkum before. We once went over from Altinkum to Akbuk for the friday market.
Might as well use the local ones though and much less hassle. We drove ourselves down to the harbour but he did offer a free transfer too.
He gave us helpful info at each stop - how deep the water was, which side to jump etc but there was none of the usual over zealous 'elf and safety' we get here!
He was happy to mess about with the kids pouring a bucket of water over the ones who showed willing to play but always aware of our comfort.
He had all the life belts, first aid box etc and dealt with a cut to my finger with iodine and a plaster without any of the usual 'not allowed to do that, I'm afraid!' you would get here!
And he has some great stories to tell about his long years on the boats - ask him about the scars (No, it wasn't a shark!)
All in all a great day out.
Have fun
Glenda

Eating out and such
You certainly are getting around Glenda and Keith. We have been back from Akbuk for just over a week now and your run down of events certainly made me feel that I was right back there. Glad you have been enjoying yourselves.

Ahhh! I wish..........

lakegl

Eating out and such
Ian - yes we had 3 teenagers with us so everything was tried and tested and we saw things from a different perspective! Bit too much of the inside of the riotous Dolphin bar in Altinkum for my taste but our teenage daughter loved it!!

Sunflower oil - go down to the harbour via the statue of Ataturk turn left and it is set back on some grass. It calls itself Akvarium on the sign but Aquarium on the menu!
Glenda

Jon & Mia

Eating out and such
Hi Glenda & Keith

Were back home too now (until September)
Great to meet you last week - would have liked more time to chat but the week was hectic with all the little jobs we had to do.
On restaurants we found a couple of good ones.
The Garden is well known apparently (a little further through Akbuk than Pasha) and one called Aydinhan which is very close to Pasha but across the main road. They did a very entertaining "turkish night" on Saturday at 25TL a head for an open buffet and the entertainment, (belly dancer, folk dancers, dancing with flaming torches, Knife throwing etc) no health & safety here either they has a girl out of the audience to throw knives at- using his mouth - blindfolded !!!!
the best of the lot was on the road between Didim and Altinkum (Turn right at Carrefour) it was called GoldenStar 2 - and was more upmarket - yet at the same price as the others nearby. Here, when you order fish they fillet it at the table and take every bone out for you. The octopus stew for a starter was incredible.
One thing to beware of with the restaurants collect and return service - if they pick you up from your appartment they know it is empty for the next few hours. Whilst most restaurants are reputable there have been burglaries. i would suggest getting them to collect you from the Pool area so they don't know which is your appartment.
Jon & Mia

lakegl

Eating out and such
Good idea John. Will remember that when booking transfers. Thanks for the recommendations. We are out in Sept too so hope to bump into you again.
Glenda and Keith

Latest Posts

Top Bottom