IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Eastern European Farm Workers
As I arrive back from an essential shopping trip I see that tents for seasonal workers have appeared where they were last year. Not a Bulgarian in sight.
I had to smile in town, the car in front of me honked at a lady walking past. Obviously the driver knew her, and wound the window down to speak. The pedestrian took off her mask to speak to her! duh

ridoskon

I totally agree with someone who said above that our unemployed who don't even care about working should be made to do these jobs and have their benefits stopped! I guess that would be much better for everyone, rather than letting them sit on their arse the whole day. Regarding the eastern European farmers, I would say they are working much more than we do. I met a Polish farmer back when buying a tractor at machinerydealer.co.uk. The guy was working more than 14 hours a day! And he wasn't a worker, and it was his own farm.

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Fact , farm growersdo nothavea local workforce available , they tend to be in the country . Which is why they employ eu staff and house them in portacabins .

Chasey

I totally agree with someone who said above that our unemployed who don't even care about working should be made to do these jobs and have their benefits stopped!

Is a fantasy many share but the reality would be disastrous.

Many moons ago the govt offered to pay 50% of the salary for long-term unemployed people who we gave work to. I took on two men in their late 20s or early 30s. They hardly ever turned up for work, when they did they did nothing much at all, and they were ALWAYS late. I reported them both and eventually had to sack them both (something which they were very happy about) but the benefits office took no action against them.

THATS the problem

The benefits office should not pay benefits to people who are given work but intentionally f it up. But we all know there will be errors and misjudgment and sob stories as a result of such action. No doubt the govt will be sued. It's just not worth it.

The other problem is the cost of admin far outweighs the cost of paying benefits.

It's simply cheaper for the govt to pay benefits and import foreign workers than it is to actually deal with the problem.

Hilsjw

It's strange that last year they were crying out for fruit pickers. Not one advertisement in our local paper for pickers. Some years ago, I answered an ad' and got a tomato picking job in Littlehampton. Early start but shared our car with another local lady. Really enjoyed it. However, I'm at the age that if you want/need money, you work for it. Why should the taxpayer bankroll people who are fit and young enough to work ?

Chasey

What about a gradually decreasing benefits system for those healthy enough to work?
I think the French system which entitles you to one month of full benefits for each month you worked and paid in the equivalent of NI is a great idea. I am not clear on the safety net below this level of payments but it should really be subsistence level.

I also believe that people should only get child benefits below a set income level and that single mum child payments should be limited to the first child only. We can all make mistakes but making them repeatedly when contraception is readily available is not to be encouraged and smacks of using pregnancy to milk the system.

Chasey

It's strange that last year they were crying out for fruit pickers. Not one advertisement in our local paper for pickers. Some years ago, I answered an ad' and got a tomato picking job in Littlehampton. Early start but shared our car with another local lady. Really enjoyed it. However, I'm at the age that if you want/need money, you work for it. Why should the taxpayer bankroll people who are fit and young enough to work ?

Again you must understand that press-ganged labor will deliberately f it up causing loss to the farmers, compensation payments and expenses in admin that far outweigh the cost of paying lazy gits to sit watching daytime TV

The govt bean counters did the math and this is the cheapest option.

It pisses off the gen pop so they play lip service to dealing with the issue whilst actually not doing a lot if anything.

See an example of this calculation below:

Hilsjw

Something's gotta change then Chasey !! The Government/taxpayer should not be held to ransom by lazy gits. Don't wanna work (if you can) then starve !

Chasey

Something's gotta change then Chasey !! The Government/taxpayer should not be held to ransom by lazy gits. Don't wanna work (if you can) then starve !

Agreed but are you prepared for the additional tax burden to pay for the consultancy, the admin and the inevitable lawsuits?

Maisie

I have always been of the opinion that whilst there are jobs to be had, then people claiming benefits should be told to take one of these or no payment. Of course, there are some claimants who, for various reasons, cannot work. Years ago, when my job was relocated fifty miles away, I went up there and 'signed on'.

However, I was told that this would only be paid for six months, and after that I would have to apply for a means tested benefit. During this time, I had to provide evidence that I was actively seeking work. Has this changed now? Although I had paid into the system from the age of sixteen, my contributions did not figure, apparently. Because I had a husband working more that fourteen hours a week, I would not qualify for any payment. Fortunately, I found a job fairly swiftly.

As I have said on here before, I can spit on the local job centre which is about 50 yards from my home. Consequently, I am in a position to watch those going in to 'sign on'. After parking their cars either in the car park opposite or in my road, many get out and remove jewellery, etc. before going in. I have even seen seemingly able-bodied young men changing their probably expensive trainers for another tatty pair and changing back when they return.

As to child benefit, this was not paid for the first child until Mark was fourteen years old. The amount was so small, I left it for four weeks at a time. Stopped again at his sixteenth birthday.

Maisie

Hilsjw

That's the trouble - too many "consultants" on silly money. Legal aid, lawyers etc. Something must/should change. But, you are right - nothing will. Probably get worse !!

Chasey

Every one hates consultants but the facts are simple

The elected govt hasn't got much of a clue about most things.

The Civil Service deal with the day-to-day running of the country and keep the cogs turning and the elected government pushes their political agenda. When a topic like the reformation of the benefits system crops up, they bring in experts to formulate a response.

A deeply frustrating situation but actually perfectly understandable.

Parliamentary Democracy is a seriously flawed system that just happens to be the best option we have. NONE of the alternative forms of government work.

Switzerland gets the closest to democracy with something like 300 referendums held with fixed dates in March June September and November EVERY year for the popular to vote on reforms to government and law.

This kind of works due to the population of about 8.5 million but truth be told less than 20% of the population regularly vote and its had some dodgy outcomes like the ban on facial coverings which is basically racist or anti-Muslim take your pic. They rejected limits on greenhouse gas emissions, they rejected a ban on artificial pesticides and they rejected a clean drinking water bill?????

The above pretty much proves democracy doesn't work as a government system

Top Bottom