ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Earthquakes
Just past the 10th anniversary of the 1999 Marmara earthquake, Turkey is pausing once again to remember the loved ones it lost and reflect on its readiness for future disasters. On Aug. 17, 1999, the Marmara region was struck by a major tremor that killed 17,000 and left thousands homeless.

More

Mustafa Erdik, director of the Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute at İstanbul's Boğaziçi University, has said the annual probability of a large earthquake in İstanbul is 2 percent, a likelihood matched only in Tokyo and San Francisco.

More

Another Istanbul earthquake is 'expected between 2010 and 2014' according to one expert.

More

C

loobyloo

Earthquakes
That earthquake was so terrible, We had just left that area when the earthquake struck and my heart still goes out to all of those familys x

Earthquakes
On august the 18th 1999 we had just picked my daughter up from the airport and had the radio on when the news came..it was about 3am.
İn Alanya many bars closed down out of respect, many seasonal workers from the İstanbul area lost their families. The TV showed the devastation and the rescue work round the clock,the images will never leave me. Afterwards they set up cities of tents for the homeless and in the winter some of these were knee deep in mud and freezing.
Lets hope that we will never see the like of it again.
A few years ago i was in Adana when a minor quake struck and the panic it caused was terrible understandable as Adana has had several big quakes.
Thankfully there has never been a quake in Alanya..just a few infrequent little tremors but on days when the sea is rough i would bet there's a lot of activity going on off the coast.

Last edited:

alison09400

Earthquakes
Shirley like you, I can remember that day like it was yesterday.

One of our local TV channels came to our house and interiewed my hubby and some of his turkish friends who were raising money to send to Istanbul to help those affected by the earthquake. I can't remember exactly how much was raised but they sent the money to Deniz Fener who built a street of pre-fab houses and called it Belfast Sokak.

The devastation was awful with entire streets falling into the sea. One of the news programmes the other night showed divers who went underwater and into the apartment blocks...furniture was still intact and they even showed a washing machine that was now a haven for small fish.

Last edited:
Earthquakes
Ali
What you and Shirley have said is so interesting!!
Earthquake experiences are alien to us Westerners and I find it fascinating.
Did the coastal areas collapse or subside into the sea en masse?
So these buildings are still there in deep water in the bays?
Was this in the North West near Istanbul?
Does anybody remember the Fethiye one?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom