val2661

Earth tremors
Did anyone else in the Alanya area experience the earth tremors at about 1.20 am this morning? For the first time since living here I found it scary as my building actually shook!

Val

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Earth tremors
There was a Mag 4 reported last night around that time. 79 kms below Antalya, Western Turkey. There was also a Mag 3 reported about an hour later.

Their times are UTC / GMT, so to get Turkish Time, add 3 hours.

EMSC - World Earthquake Info

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Earth tremors
That's the Bogazici University site. They were partying again last night and thought it was just part of the music ! :lol:

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Earth tremors
Good on them YAAAAAAAY!!!

That reminds me. Do you remember when 'Earthquake' came out in the cinemas in '75 and they were using a system called "Sensurround"?

We were sitting outside in the cinema bar while the earlier showing was on, and it truly felt like the place was shaking. We went in and I tell you, during one of those quakes, if one person had have ran out, I would have been right behind them LOL!!! I remember this vividly because I was hugely pregnant and maybe it wasn't the best film to see, LOL!!

PS, for the techies out there, I got this info from another site..... "In Sensurround equiped theatres they achieved 120dB SPL at 5Hz therefore simulating actual feeling of an earthquake!" & "Sensurround involved the installation of large, low frequency, horn-loaded speakers which contained specially designed 18-inch Cerwin-Vega Model 189E drivers in custom black wood cabinets. Three horn configurations were available, Model-C (Corner), Model-W (Folded Bass Bin) and Model-M (Modular). The Model-C and -M horns required stacking in groups of four, increasing effective horn mouth size to achieve the low frequency target. They came with special extenders used to widen the mouths of the horns and take advantage of the theater walls to further increase low frequency extension. The Model-M horn had a dedicated "Mouth-Extender" available when it was used in the front of the theater. While installation was customized and varied in each theater, the Sensurround horns were typically placed beneath the screen in front and in the back corners of the theatre. Often, rows or sections of seats would have to be removed to make room for the large Sensurround horns. In large theaters, up to 20 individual horns might be used along with custom-built bat wings and mouth extenders.

The deep bass signal fed to the Sensurround horns was controlled by a separate control box in the projection booth. Audio from the film soundtrack was fed to the control box which fed 1,600 watt BGW 750 audio amplifiers driving the speakers.[3]When triggered by control tones on the film's soundtrack, the system generated a pseudorandom noise between 17 and 120 Hertz at sound pressures ranging from 110 dB at the center of the theater to a maximum of 120 dB 4 feet in front of any horn.[4] The resulting rumble could be felt by audience members as well as heard."
Having been in some mild ones here in Turkey, I would dispute it being the 'real feel of an earthquake', but it certainly added to the effect of the film and gave you a feeling of being overwhelmed by the strength of something devastating.

For real audio geeks, read this Achieving 'Sensurround' LFE in HT aka. remember the earthquake. - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack

Last edited:

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Earth tremors
Basically the same as what we call subwoofers now. I have 4 cerwin vega speakers with 15 inch bass speakers and a 15 inch cerwin vega sub.....amazing sound

Biker Bob

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Earth tremors
Basically, yes, but the way it was set up AND the fact that the sound was cranked right up, plus the fact that the system was set up for the film, the effect was awesome!

Earth tremors
When we took the boys to Disney Florida there was a ride dedicated to the film. Every time I think back I have a good laugh about it. I wont go into what happened, suffice to say that the boys seem not to have any lingering after effects!

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Earth tremors
ROFL!! Sound eh, amazing.

Bob, I had a pretty good sound system in a car, I had to leave in UK :( (sadly). The day I went to pick it up from the dealer, I bought The Chemical Brothers - 'Surrender'. I put my foot down and shot on to the M4 as track 2 (Under the Influence), came on. I honestly thought I had broken my precious car. I was most impressed when I realised it was the sub!

Andy

Earth tremors
Sorry guys i'm more interested in the earth Tremors as i have an apt out there and visit on the 10th Oct, so any more info out there please.

Earth tremors
Never felt anything in Side and I was still awake at that time reading my book in bed. If I had felt it I would have known it was an earthquake and not snoring hubby who made the earth move for me!!

Sue

Earth tremors
Some people are obsessed with house prices.
I'll be just so happy if my holiday home in Turkey isn't hit by an earthquake in the future.
That's enough for me.

Mel

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Earth tremors
Sorry guys i'm more interested in the earth Tremors as i have an apt out there and visit on the 10th Oct, so any more info out there please.

Best to refer to those sites mentioned at the beginning of the thread. I was up at that time and never felt a thing. But then we aren't so close to it.

Last edited:

val2661

Earth tremors
It actually shook my apartment building and was the worst I've experienced in the 2 years I've been living here. Nothing in my apartment was damaged Andy.

Val

Latest Posts

Top Bottom