1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
If they are going to be used on public roads they should be registered and insured and owners should have a full licence.

I am not arguing that they should not be on the road, but I am stating that IMHO all motorised vehicles that are on the road should be insured for 3rd party. I have a friend who is being sued by the driver of an uninsured e-scooter who drove thorough a red light. How does that work?
I was rear ended by an uninsured scooter driver. Not impressed by your logic
Currently there are no laws as far as i know in regarding fast types of scooters ( not the public ones like Marti for example ) but if government wants people to insure their scooters they should provide them with a straight forward way. A friend of mine wanted to convert his driving license into Turkish driving license and the office that is in charge of that which is called Nufus I think doesn't recognize foreign identification numbers so you're basically lost in the first step because how are you meant to apply for insurance while not having a license . The facilities are very poor in here and I have heard people have been waiting for hours and hours just to get a plate number outside of the offices because they don't let people in anyways in extremely cold or hot weather . That makes people not wanting to go after these things and they will be forced to use public transport . And in regarding your friends case I don't know who's fault was it but I have seen bout stupid people who use a 18km scooter to drive on 120 roads( without a single gear or helmet ) and I have seen people trying to race a 18 km scooter with their audi or blocking the pathways. Every kind of stupidity exists istanbul you never know

Kanga

E scooters in Turkey
As soon as the trafik polis get involved there will be plenty of law thrown at any scooterist who causes a problem.

Your friend can apply for a Turkish id number, he doesn't need a property to get one.

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
As soon as the trafik polis get involved there will be plenty of law thrown at any scooterist who causes a problem.

Your friend can apply for a Turkish id number, he doesn't need a property to get one.
Again there are stupid car drivers and stupid scooter drivers. In istanbul the municipality has tried to build lots of bike lanes on sea fronts and other places but they need to build more of them because the people who are on e scooters like marti which have a limiter on them that limits the speed to 18km max are risking their lives driving them on roads with cars. And he does have a Turkish identification number which starts with 99 for foreigners but they don't recognise it on their website for appointment because their system is not connected to the immigration. And they told him to wait basically .how long will he have to wait who knows honestly

Camden

E scooters in Turkey
In English and Turkish

DUALTRON Electric Scooter Models Meets with followers in Turkey

THE RULES WERE ADDRESSED​

The prominent topics of the arrangement announced at the meeting led by the Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Adil Karaismailoğlu were listed as follows;

1) The maximum speed of electric scooters will be 18 km per hour.

2) These vehicles will not be able to be used on highways, intercity roads and highways with a maximum speed limit of 50 km / h.

3) 18 age limit will be sought for electric scooters. Those between the ages of 16-18 will be allowed on the condition that they have an M and A1 license.

4) More than one person will not be able to use electric scooters.

5) In these vehicles, other than personal belongings, goods / cargo cannot be carried.

6) These vehicles will not be allowed to endanger pedestrians and disadvantaged groups (disabled / elderly).

7) Electric scooters will be used in integration with public transportation vehicles.

8) The use of protective equipment such as helmets, knee pads, reflectors and jackets will be encouraged.

9) Piling up of electric scooters in certain areas will be prevented.

10) Usage will be provided in a way that will not disturb public order and create noise pollution.

35 THOUSAND PIECES IN TURKEY HAVE ELECTRIC SCOOTER
the number is declared the 35 thousand units in Turkey. Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Eskisehir, Gaziantep, Istanbul, Bursa, Izmir, Antalya, Mersin, Muğla, while Kahramanmaras and Kocaeli forward shared as provinces where the electric scooter use in Turkey, 10 million overlay made so far in Turkey electric scooter The distance covered in the journey reaches 15 million kilometers.

Last edited:

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
In English and Turkish

DUALTRON Electric Scooter Models Meets with followers in Turkey

THE RULES WERE ADDRESSED​

The prominent topics of the arrangement announced at the meeting led by the Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Adil Karaismailoğlu were listed as follows;

1) The maximum speed of electric scooters will be 18 km per hour.

2) These vehicles will not be able to be used on highways, intercity roads and highways with a maximum speed limit of 50 km / h.

3) 18 age limit will be sought for electric scooters. Those between the ages of 16-18 will be allowed on the condition that they have an M and A1 license.

4) More than one person will not be able to use electric scooters.

5) In these vehicles, other than personal belongings, goods / cargo cannot be carried.

6) These vehicles will not be allowed to endanger pedestrians and disadvantaged groups (disabled / elderly).

7) Electric scooters will be used in integration with public transportation vehicles.

8) The use of protective equipment such as helmets, knee pads, reflectors and jackets will be encouraged.

9) Piling up of electric scooters in certain areas will be prevented.

10) Usage will be provided in a way that will not disturb public order and create noise pollution.

35 THOUSAND PIECES IN TURKEY HAVE ELECTRIC SCOOTER
the number is declared the 35 thousand units in Turkey. Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Eskisehir, Gaziantep, Istanbul, Bursa, Izmir, Antalya, Mersin, Muğla, while Kahramanmaras and Kocaeli forward shared as provinces where the electric scooter use in Turkey, 10 million overlay made so far in Turkey electric scooter The distance covered in the journey reaches 15 million kilometers.

Bout inokim and dualtron are companies that sell fast electric scooters that go way over 18km even the cheapest kids version goes more than that . And on that article that you posted it just says the maximum limit is 18km and it's not mentioning anything about faster scooters

Camden

E scooters in Turkey
Bout inokim and dualtron are companies that sell fast electric scooters that go way over 18km even the cheapest kids version goes more than that . And on that article that you posted it just says the maximum limit is 18km and it's not mentioning anything about faster scooters

I posted what is presently in Law ... Most Turks would drive faster than the limit set if their machine sold to them goes faster ... So would depend on the Police ...and if an accident happened ... the law as is, would be applied ...like many laws in Turkey the interpretation is fluid... on whom or why and when applied. They are sold in Turkey so the machine is not illegal.

ps many cars in the UK are sold that can pass the speed limit, but if used over the speed limit ... the law stands as is.

Last edited:

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
I posted what is presently in Law ... Most Turks would drive faster than the limit set if their machine sold to them goes faster ... So would depend on the Police ...and if an accident happened ... the law as is, would be applied ...like many laws in Turkey the interpretation is fluid... on whom or why and when applied. They are sold in Turkey so the machine is not illegal.

ps many cars in the UK are sold that can pass the speed limit, but if used over the speed limit ... the law stands as is.
Again I'm trying to figure out what will happen in case police gets you on a scooter going let's say four times the limit .. They haven't mentioned anything about passing those limits. For example this is the laws in france on E scooters.

Screenshot_20210224-200226.png

Camden

E scooters in Turkey
Again I'm trying to figure out what will happen in case police gets you on a scooter going let's say four times the limit .. They haven't mentioned anything about passing those limits. For example this is the laws in france on E scooters.

1378xab It seem the laws at the moment are consensual led to 18km but an AKP MP wants an amendment to 25km .. The faster bikes aren't illegal and some Turks will ride them faster will they be stopped . ike I said it would depend on the circumstances and on what actual charge a police officer could bring. But unfortunately in Turkey the law is implemented at will and fluid ... so the risk will always be there by going faster ... You shouldn't expect a definitive answer to cover it or a legal answer as its in flux... that's why most Turks throw their hands up and say burasi turkiye

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
1378xab It seem the laws at the moment are consensual led to 18km but an AKP MP wants an amendment to 25km .. The faster bikes aren't illegal and some Turks will ride them faster will they be stopped . ike I said it would depend on the circumstances and on what actual charge a police officer could bring. But unfortunately in Turkey the law is implemented at will and fluid ... so the risk will always be there by going faster ... You shouldn't expect a definitive answer to cover it or a legal answer as its in flux... that's why most Turks throw their hands up and say burasi turkiye
I can agree with that and it's pretty unfortunate but that's what you should expect in a third world country anyways . I always tend to search for the highest penalty for each violation because they will give it to you specially if you're a foreigner. You shouldn't give them that opportunity.

Camden

E scooters in Turkey
I can agree with that and it's pretty unfortunate but that's what you should expect in a third world country anyways . I always tend to search for the highest penalty for each violation because they will give it to you specially if you're a foreigner. You shouldn't give them that opportunity.
I wouldn't class Turkey "third world" as it has the technology just not a reliable infrastructure of use,.... more a "developing country" but know what you mean .... I think the highest penalty would be within most foreigners pocketbook ... but if involved in an accident even not your own fault is a bureaucratic nightmare and off the beaten track dangerous in some reactions .

Last edited:

enoch

E scooters in Turkey
Like Camden is saying if you are in an accident in turkey and you driving an elegal scooter it will be your fault no matter the reason. And if someone gets disabled or dies you are responsible for the family for ever supporting them. As I understand so is the so called fun worth it.

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
I wouldn't class Turkey "third world" as it has the technology just not a reliable infrastructure of use,.... more a "developing country" but know what you mean .... I think the highest penalty would be within most foreigners pocketbook ... but if involved in an accident even not your own fault is a bureaucratic nightmare and off the beaten track dangerous in some reactions .
Like Camden is saying if you are in an accident in turkey and you driving an elegal scooter it will be your fault no matter the reason. And if someone gets disabled or dies you are responsible for the family for ever supporting them. As I understand so is the so called fun worth it.
In my opinion technology alone doesn't make a country to not be a third world country its the way that people use that technology. For example Saudi Arabia has all kinds technology from either military technology to roads and transport techs and they buy everything from US so does that mean Saudi Arabia is basically US . Of course not . Same thing applies to Turkey. The government is bringing e scooters in the country ( it's not like They've been smuggled by banana boats or something ) and yet they are not forcing people to ride with helmets or protective gear or making proper roads for them to ride on and they are blaming the scooters to be fast and trying to limit them and slower them to let's say 18km thinking that will solve the problem .in reality it will actually cause more fatalities because people will keep riding them on car roads because there are no proper bicycle lanes but now since they are going slower the chances of them being hit by a car is increased by a lot . And regarding your answer enoch faster electric scooters are huge and because of being electric and a very fast acceleration in electric motors you cannot ride them on places that people walk. they are meant for roads And the chances of those electric scooters killing or disabling someone is next to impossible but the chances of the driver injuries that is very likely because they are basically like motorcycles and they have no protection . But I don't drive mine anyways because before me actually driving it I check the rules and I always consider the worst scenarios and the highest penalty

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
E scooters in Turkey
Of course a foreigner can get insurance without having a Turkish licence. I wrote on this forum last week that I have just got my Turkish licence, but have been insured legally for at least 16 years (and made claims which were paid out). i was also admitted to the nufus office with an ID beginning with 99 ( I will concede that the online booking does not seem to accept 99 numbers).

I am curious to see who you would expect to pay for damage caused by an uninsured e-scooter or e- bike rider....

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
Of course a foreigner can get insurance without having a Turkish licence. I wrote on this forum last week that I have just got my Turkish licence, but have been insured legally for at least 16 years (and made claims which were paid out). i was also admitted to the nufus office with an ID beginning with 99 ( I will concede that the online booking does not seem to accept 99 numbers).

I am curious to see who you would expect to pay for damage caused by an uninsured e-scooter or e- bike rider....
I'm actually having the same issue as my friend I converted my license to Turkish driving license because it was forced back then I think they used to say if you lived in Turkey you have to apply for one after 6 months so I converted it and I lost my license and now I'm stuck basically. And they took my previous license so now I have nothing . And for your question bikes and e scooters are not capable of doing a huge damage to cars specially the e scooters like marti. The real problem is a car hitting those scooters. I was walking beside Vodafone's stadium in istanbul and I have seen people driving those scooters on roads beside stupid drivers that are going 100s of kms sometimes . It's not their fault as well there is nothing else to be on it's either the main road with cars or riding on a cobblestone pavement . Turkish government is making billions of dollars from these roads yet they are not spending a cent of it for the well being of it's people. It's not even foreigners.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
E scooters in Turkey
I cannot see why you are 'stuck' if you have a Turkish licence? Does it cover motorcycles and scooters? (B sinif). 'little damage' the scooter that dented my boot cost me 900TL 4 years ago. Maybe if it is not much you will send me a cheque in the post.
Turkish roads are amongst the best that I have ridden in recent years.
I think in Istanbul the cobblestones are left in place for historical reasons, and I, for one applaud this. Motorised vehicles have no right to be on the pavement or sidewalk.

Kanga

E scooters in Turkey
All public roads in Turkey have speed limits, which are marked in the usual way. If anyone using the road is not aware of the limits, or ignores them, or is a persistent offender, they deserve to be prosecuted and have licences revoked. If an uninsured rider caused me a financial loss or injury I'd be looking to sue.
We had a rash of underage kids using these electric bikes in Datca a couple of years ago, and one of them had an accident on the road near us. It seems to have died out now and the only bikes we saw last year were rented and helmets were worn.
The biggest problem with all bike and scooter riders everywhere seems to be the inability to remove earbuds. They drive around totally unable to hear what's going around them, and no idea of self preservation.

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
I cannot see why you are 'stuck' if you have a Turkish licence? Does it cover motorcycles and scooters? (B sinif). 'little damage' the scooter that dented my boot cost me 900TL 4 years ago. Maybe if it is not much you will send me a cheque in the post.
Turkish roads are amongst the best that I have ridden in recent years.
I think in Istanbul the cobblestones are left in place for historical reasons, and I, for one applaud this. Motorised vehicles have no right to be on the pavement or sidewalk.
As I said I lost the license and now I can't apply for a new one because they don't accept foreign identification number. And scooter license is different thing and scooters are considered as M class in here which they will be given to you with a car license even if you have never tried a scooter before . And no cobblestone pavements are left because Turkish government doesn't really care to fix them and its not just motorized scooters on the roads. Bicycles have to share the road with cars as well with no special bicycle lane .

1378xab

E scooters in Turkey
All public roads in Turkey have speed limits, which are marked in the usual way. If anyone using the road is not aware of the limits, or ignores them, or is a persistent offender, they deserve to be prosecuted and have licences revoked. If an uninsured rider caused me a financial loss or injury I'd be looking to sue.
We had a rash of underage kids using these electric bikes in Datca a couple of years ago, and one of them had an accident on the road near us. It seems to have died out now and the only bikes we saw last year were rented and helmets were worn.
The biggest problem with all bike and scooter riders everywhere seems to be the inability to remove earbuds. They drive around totally unable to hear what's going around them, and no idea of self preservation.
I think the main problem in Turkey are cars and stupid car drivers and they should instead focus on them which they wont because government is making so much money off of tax on cars they can't care less . And I agree with your statement about over speeding but in Turkey they like to lower the speed limit on e scooters that weight 14 killos max thinking they can do damage more than cars that weight at least a ton .and funny enough the reason they came up with this ban was a guy got killed on marti by a BMW.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
E scooters in Turkey
I am not against electric bikes, if I was 20 years younger I would be looking at one of these. i believe they have a dealer in Antalya, but helmet, leathers, insured, and on the road.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom