Duty Paid alcohol into Turkey
Can anyone tell me if I bought alcohol say from Morrisons and took it into Turkey is there a limit to how much I can take in?

esb1841

Can anyone tell me if I bought alcohol say from Morrisons and took it into Turkey is there a limit to how much I can take in?

I don't think its makes any difference if you buy at Morrison or if you buy at the duty free shop in the uk the limit is the same

Duty Free Allowance for Items purchased Abroad
1L of alcohol over 22% volume or 2L of alcohol under 22% volume.

Duty Free Allowance for Items purchased at Airport Arrivals
1 litre Beverages containing alcohol more than 22% (Whisky, rakı, etc)
2 litre Beverages containing alcohol less than 22% (wine, champaign, etc)

jandj

My advice is...buy your vodka/gin and pour it into a plastic low calorie tonic bottles. Place it in your suitcase, and if questioned..I am diabetic and I need low calorie tonic. I doubt very much they will be checked!! I take 3-5 litres per trip and because the bottles are plastic, they weigh a lot less than glass.

Hilsjw

That's a good indea jandj. We always take bottles well wrapped in our suitcase and then buy the allowed amount in the Duty Free. Will do your trick with the plastic bottles next time lol !!!

esb1841

10 years ago you could take up to 7 bottles of alcohol as long as no more than 3 of the same type so you could have 3 bottles of jd 3 bottles of jim bean that was okay but 3 bottles of jd wasn't but it looks like they have changed the law

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
When we were in the Middle East we used to put it in plastic 'Platypus' bottles (available from camping stores) they are flat water bottles and they will not leak, they could not be detected even on the X-Ray machines

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
If you are using Antalya be careful.Next to last exit door they are pulling over random visitors and scanning their cases and hand luggage.I remember its over 10 years now one woman came out with a shopping trolley pull of cigs and bottles they never gave her a 2nd glance.How things have changed.
Trev.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
If you are using Antalya be careful.Next to last exit door they are pulling over random visitors and scanning their cases and hand luggage.I remember its over 10 years now one woman came out with a shopping trolley pull of cigs and bottles they never gave her a 2nd glance.How things have changed.
Trev.

If you fly into Antalya from TRNC they put every bag through the X Ray machine, it seems that they only switch it on for these flights.

Spurs

Spurs
Drink problem anyone?

We just buy ours at the duty free when we land in Turkey.

Hunt 23

Just out of interest, and I know that Antalya airport has been mentioned, but has anybody actually been stopped and had their bags checked?

I have brought several bicycles from the UK to Turkey by plane via Dalaman, usually in a cardboard bike box, and one one occasion I had to tear open a bit of the box to show them that it was a bicycle and not a television. I had allsorts of stuff in that box, good job they never opened it properly. Last time they had a scanner and the box went through that, luckily I hadn't put anything into the box that time.

Apart from these two times I have never seen anybody stopped and I must have entered 50 times or so.

I use a relatively empty carry on bag and buy vodka at the UK airport, enough to fill the bag. Also in the bag I have a fold up bag. On the plane I buy enough to fill that. I get about 12 litres in. Never been stopped, even when they checked the bikes that was all that they were interested in.

When we came through Antalya 3 weeks ago they were scanning all the bags as we went out the exit doors, causing a long que, and then were pulling people over to open their bags, assumed they were looking for alcohol, but didn't wait around to see,

sharon

I have never been checked from the UK to Antalya. Last time we had 6 litres of whisky and 6 litres of Martini in our hand luggage and bought another 4 litres of whisky on the plane, can't remember if we got anything in the airport duty free. We get 2 trolleys at the carousel and always go through customs separately.

Sue

Spurs

Spurs
1 litre of rum and 1 litre of cinzano wont last me 6 weeks though

Martin

Fair comment. Not a big drinker myself, its usually us bringing for others. I think I would be tempted to ask fellow passengers if they were buying booze, if its a no then put the cosh on them.

beyazbayan

10 days ago Antalya were putting ALL bags through the scanner and checking by opening about one in eight. İstanbul were checking all hand luggage two months ago by opening so think things have changed a lot.

429nufc

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what 1 litre Yeni raki costs in the Uk?

I was asked to bring one back for someone last week. They were sold out on the plane out & as I had a very short turnaround at Sabiha Gokcen I thought I'd just buy on in Migros in Yalikavak.

I picked it up with a load of other stuff so didn't notice the price which was 90YTL , approx £24!!

Erdogan strikes again?

Rumpole

Depending on weight allowance, we buy 2-4 plastic bottles of Brandy Run, whatever, and have them in baggage, then buy same in duty free, then again on the plane, 25 years travelling to Turkey, never been stopped.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom