ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Dutch anti-Islam MP Geert Wilders makes strong showing in local polls
I think there was a thread about this guy previously but I can't find it.

.Geert Wilders, the radical anti-Muslim Dutch politician, was celebrating a symbolic breakthrough on Thursday as his party won control of its first municipality in a show of strength ahead of June's general election..'

Here

C

Saoirse

basically a Dutch BNP type dickhead

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Still in a democracy he is allowed to make his beliefs clear, as long as he remains within the law. It is called freedom of expression. Not freedom to say what you want unless i don't agree with it. That is something much nastier.

Steve.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Freedom of speech yes, but this guy is just out to cause trouble - why is Britain allowing him in?

'Far right-wing Dutch politician Geert Wilders has sparked angry scenes outside Parliament after claiming Islamism and democracy were "incompatible".
The controversial Dutch politician visited London to show his anti-Islamic film Fitna at the House of Lords.'

Here

C

jimskem

If Wilders is indeed allowed into England, it may be because of comments passed by the Judge during the Abu Hamza trial a few years ago.

Mr Justice Hughes said [I do not make the mistake that you represent Islamic
thinking generally.
You are entitled to your views and in this country [England] you are entitled
to express them, but only up to the point where you incite murder or use language calculated to incite racial hatred, that is what you did.]

So, as long as Geert Wilders does not incite murder or racial hatred, why not
listen to what he has to say.

Last edited:

teosgirl

I've started to wonder just how many of us are knowledgable enough to comment on whether or not Islam and democracy are compatible?

I have not read the koran in it's entirety, so I for one cannot comment on this man's opinions and the basis for them.

Charlotte

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Yes but by the same token, Britain has a substantial Muslim population and this guy can arrive, stir the sh1t in his public utterances, and go back to Holland leaving tension and unrest here.

Whether it's liked or not, the fact is that most if not all Muslims in Britain are British, and there must be understanding and tolerance to some degree if religious hatred is not to boil over.

C

Saoirse

its always a fine balancing act but in general I do believe if in doubt allow the freedom of speech ideal to prevail

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Dutch PM slams Wilders as "irresponsible"

At a recent news conference in London, PVV leader Wilders called the Turkish PM "a total freak". In his weekly TV interview, Prime Minister Balkenende denounced Mr Wilders' slur as "absolutely irresponsible". "One may disagree with policies, but it is unacceptable in international diplomacy to use these sort of terms. If the Netherlands is going to operate in this style, the country will face big problems," the PM stressed.

Mr Balkenende warned that statements such as the one made by Mr Wilders could harm employment and companies in the Netherlands.

Last week, the head of the Dutch employers' federation (VNO-NCW), Bernard Wientjes, also warned that Mr Wilders is damaging Dutch interests. He described Mr Wilders' remarks about the Turkish PM as "outrageous".

Source: Dutch PM slams Wilders as "irresponsible" | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

C

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Dutch MPs cancel Turkey visit over Wilders ban

Dutch members of parliament have cancelled a scheduled visit to Turkey after the Turkish government refused to meet with the delegation if anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders was part of it.

Here

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom