drownings in Alanya
There a have been a few tragedies in Alanya the past week due to drowning.
At least 5 people have been lost in and around the East side of town with onelocal person still missing. The yearly figures for drownings are considerable both with tourists and locals alike being lost either in swimming or boating accidents.

People should be aware of the sea conditions in some areas in and around Alanya.
Cleopatra Beach while it has a Blue Flag for cleanliness etc also shelves very steeply..you can only wade in a yard or two before it becomes very steep and its not suitable for kids or poor swimmers. İve also seen people struggling to get out of the sea on the Damlataş beach due to the strength of the waves washing them back out ..and also ive seen people get so much sand in their pants or bras as they are trying to get out they get weighted down...and they start to panic.
The shelving varies on the East side with some patches shallow and others steep a few yards in.
Added to this this the sea can be very rough at times..last week there was a
whirlwind out a sea...it was probably visible in other areas along the coast although İ havent seen any reports.
İf you have children or are not a strong swimmer the best areas are in Avsallar and İncekum..konaklı too has quite a long stretch of beach where the water is shallow...but also has a lot of stones.

İ dont want to alarm people or put you off sea bathing as Alanya is a wonderful place...but İ do think people whould be aware of the dangers and be careful

drownings in Alanya
Very sad to hear this.

I remember Kleopatra beach well Shirley - getting out was difficult 20 years ago, now with my tin knees I think it would be impossible! I used to go to a beach right at the end of Alanya on the west side, can't remember the name, and I expect that Alanya has outgrown the old city limits. It was less steeply shelving and much, much quieter - maybe you can tell me what it's called.

drownings in Alanya
I remember being in Alanya three years ago when the waves were absolutely huge, red flags and no swimming, although there were the usual idiots going in.

Must say I don't like beaches which shelve into the sea, we have one beach like that in Side which I never go to, much prefer the beach here where you can walk out for ages before it gets to your middle. Don't like feeling a prat trying to get out of the sea up the slope!!

Thoughts go out to the families of those drowned.

Sue

Last edited:

sygnylmz

drownings in Alanya
I recommend swimming at beaches with lifeguards if you are not a good swimmer. Also be aware that if you ever go to Black Sea Region of Turkey (North) the sea there is much more dangerous.

drownings in Alanya
I agree with Shirley the beach in Avsallar is much more family friendly, quite level so you can wade out away without it getting too deep.

Jane

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
drownings in Alanya
Spoke with my hubby this morning you know he works in Alanya . I mentioned the beaches . He says sometimes the problem is the hotter it gets the more people Drink and then go for a swim and get into difficulty , he said if only they wouldn't booze so much , he went on to say that unless your a very good swimmer go to a safer beach . But he wasn't immplying the unfortunate accidents of the last week . He says allways check with your rep about beaches in Turkey or ask locals by the beach , { beach bars } As for me i can't swim so i just paddle on the edge to cool my feet , I feel very sorry for the loss of life and condolances to all concerned ..........Diane

drownings in Alanya
Very sad to hear this.

I remember Kleopatra beach well Shirley - getting out was difficult 20 years ago, now with my tin knees I think it would be impossible! I used to go to a beach right at the end of Alanya on the west side, can't remember the name, and I expect that Alanya has outgrown the old city limits. It was less steeply shelving and much, much quieter - maybe you can tell me what it's called.
Hi Yidiz..i think thats Ulaş Beach...but like everything else its getting more popular and the Belediye have made lovely gardens at the top of the cliff and a restaurant..and all the trimmings..its near the new Marina...but a really nice beach

sahin1990

Gazipasa'li
drownings in Alanya
My dad being from Gazipasa, we go there every summer for 3 months. In them three months there are too many Drownings in the Alanya/Gazipasa Area.

Without enough informaion on new tourists it's hard to get the picture accross to them to what can and will happen to swimmers.

Espcially in the Gazipasa Beach the waves come unexpectantly and even people that know how to swim well find it hard to get back out of the sea.

The sea isn't a somthing to play with and all people looking to swim in it should be very carefull and not open up too far. Try and not go alone either.

My thoughts are with the Family and Friends on the people past away.

JoeyCee9

drownings in Alanya
So sad Shirley, my thoughts are with their Family & co. Must be heartbreaking to loose a loved-one that way.
I must say though the waves sometimes can be really dangerous, especially in Mahmutlar...I once thought it was the end of me when I saw a towering wave coming....slams you right down! Really serious......especially on the sea-rocks in Mahmutlar!

Ilica Park

The view is fantastic !!!
drownings in Alanya
Paddington Bear - What beach in Side were you referring to - is it Apollo Beach or the west beach? Just that we have three children and although they are very good swimmers we were not aware of the shelving. Thanks

Sian

drownings in Alanya
Guys that sea is crazy!! I was there from 15 to 25June. went in the sea once at beach bar 7!!! the Current was really strong. The further out you want it wasn't as bad but when you tried to get back to the shore it was a real struggle. I swim and half surf :) Normally in Abersoch so you can imagine the waves there and yet on that day in turkey i was knackered by the time i got to the shore!!!

Loads of rocks as well. cut my leg open being pushed onto them.

Carefull People!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom