Driving to Turkey
my husband and his brother drove from liverpool to marmaris,they got the ferry from ancona in italy to cesme in turkey and six months later drove back.as the car has to leave turkey after 6 months.

kelchocolate

Just Watch Me
Driving to Turkey
My husband drove from the Northwest to Altinkum last June,then drove back in August. We were planning on driving our Turkish car back at the end of the year. By that time the ferry from cesmse to Ancona will have finished for the year. Don’t want to risk driving through bulgaria e.tc cos of the weather.

Last edited:

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Driving to Turkey
Hi Herts
Use the Search facility (right end of toolbar) with various keywords as I have seen bits and pieces on driving to Turkey in the past on TLF. Just had a quick look in Planes, Trains & Automobiles forum & there is a 'sticky' by Dalid**? from mid 2008 which may be of use to you. Maybe a clever person will come along after me and be able to do a link to shortcut to that post (beyond me I am afraid). If you do do it please post your experiences as it would be interesting to read all about it.
All the best Carol

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Driving to Turkey
Well, you HAVE just replied. What do you not understand ? :roundgrin

Last edited:

Modgirl

Driving to Turkey
Sorry I am one of the new kids on the block first time in Turkish forum and its a wealth of information. I am a silver surfer looking for as much learning as possible from all you well informed lovely people.

kaplumba

Driving to Turkey
Sorry I am one of the new kids on the block first time in Turkish forum and its a wealth of information. I am a silver surfer looking for as much learning as possible from all you well informed lovely people.

Hi modgirl and welcome. It's probably a good idea to have poke about reading all the threads for a day or so to get used to it and then if you like you could introduce yourself in the introduction section. You'll find quite a few friendly folk will stop by and say hi to you. Not everyone is certain about using forums to begin with so don't worry and don't be intimidated by anyone who is a little harsh with you!.

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Driving to Turkey
We have driven to Turkey several times. The easiest route we took was ferry from Venice to Patras - drive to Athens - ferry Athens to Kos -ferry Kos - Bodrum. Plain sailing!!

kaplumba

Driving to Turkey
My son cycled from Uk to Turkey and took the ferry from Athens to Rhodes and then over to Marmaris. That's a slight variation on sonny Jim's route. I suppose some of the roads were not the same as you would take by car as of course they didn't use motorways but he said it was an easy route. They particularly enjoyed coming down through Dubrovnik and into Albania where the people were according to them the friendliest of the whole trip.

Martyn

Driving to Turkey
My son cycled from Uk to Turkey and took the ferry from Athens to Rhodes and then over to Marmaris. That's a slight variation on sonny Jim's route. I suppose some of the roads were not the same as you would take by car as of course they didn't use motorways but he said it was an easy route. They particularly enjoyed coming down through Dubrovnik and into Albania where the people were according to them the friendliest of the whole trip.

What a great adventure :roundgrin

Mushroom

Driving to Turkey
It's on my list of things to be done. I love driving but don't like the sea, so my route is definitely excluding the ferries.
Also have an additional problem as my car is contract leased and apparently at the Turkish border if the V5 (registration document) does not show me as the owner, which it doesn't as legally I don't own it, then it doesn't enter !
Does anyone have any experiences of this as otherwise, I will have to use the wife's, which is registered in my name, and as much as I am a fan of a Suzuki Swift Diesel, it's a fair trek in a little car!

wesaaron

Driving to Turkey
The name on the V5 is the registered keeper and not the legal owner although in most cases this will be the same. But dont know if the Turkish authorities will know this.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Driving to Turkey
Yes they do know that and in general they want the V5 to be in the name of the driver.

However Mushroom, you can get round it provided that the leasing company are prepared to allow you to have the original V5 for the duration of the trip together with a notarised letter and a translation in Turkish on the company's headed paper signed by a director, giving you permission to take the vehicle into Turkey. Simple as that ! :wink: Been there, done that.

Mushroom

Driving to Turkey
KKOB,

Thanks- gives me another option. Still, with a Suzuki doing near to 60mpg, I wouldn't grumble too much, although my back would !

JJD

Driving to Turkey
Has anybody dared to drive to Akbuk yet from England? If so any suggestions?
Yes Summer 2008, Rep of Ireland/ England /France /Italy ferry to Greece /Turkey ferry crossing at Canakkale skiipping Instanbul
Use google maps/ directions/ will help.
This route is all EU apart from Greece/Turkey border,make use all paper work in order(patience req here)

Maura

'THE GOLDEN GIRLS'
Driving to Turkey
We have driven to Turkey several times. The easiest route we took was ferry from Venice to Patras - drive to Athens - ferry Athens to Kos -ferry Kos - Bodrum. Plain sailing!!

Hi SonnyJim

We would love to drive to Turkey using the route from Venice to Kos, what are the costs and how long did the journey take. What route did you take from the UK.

Many thanks
Maura

Driving to Turkey
Yes Summer 2008, Rep of Ireland/ England /France /Italy ferry to Greece /Turkey ferry crossing at Canakkale skiipping Instanbul
Use google maps/ directions/ will help.
This route is all EU apart from Greece/Turkey border,make use all paper work in order(patience req here)
Could you do this trip towing a caravan?

herts

Driving to Turkey
hi, that's very interesting.how long is the ferry boat crossing from italy (ancona)to turkey(cesme). what ferry company did your husband choose and how much did it cost. sorry , all those questions.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom