IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
This isn't right. My daughter got a card six days after I posted it. The PPT even forgot to put stamps on it, but Royal mail still delivered it without charge. xx

This is what my wife was told (our Turkish neighbour also spoke to the counter staff, and was told the same thing). When did you send the card? We had sent one 3 days before this and it was delivered on time.

Driving Licence Turkey
Ah, she received it on 14th October. Is there a reason the UK isn't accepting mail from Turkey, if this is the case? Can't blame Covid, surely, otherwise they won't be receiving mail from anyone. xx

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
Ah, she received it on 14th October. Is there a reason the UK isn't accepting mail from Turkey, if this is the case? Can't blame Covid, surely, otherwise they won't be receiving mail from anyone. xx

No idea what the reason was Mrs Abi was told this on Oct 9th,presumably your was before that date. Anyone successfully posted anything to the UK recently?

Driving Licence Turkey
I checked Royal Mail website, and the only thing I can find are a handful of countries where their delivery service is suspended. Turkey isn't one of them. All very strange. xx

navarro

navarro
Driving Licence Turkey
I too applied for a Turkish licence weeks ago. The required details were taken to our Nufus Office and we were told that the paperwork was posted directly to the DVLA, not the British Consulate. I have heard that the reason for any delay is not in the postal service, but in the fact that the DVLA have limited staff working from the main office due to Covid.

Why it was posted in this day and age I do not know, but thats the way they roll here and when you factor in the virus situation, I can see another six months going by before getting my Turkish licence.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Driving Licence Turkey
The uk is not accepting post from Turkey so it could be along wait.

I'd love to know where you got that from because the UK is not and never has been closed to receiving post from Turkey.

Having posted something out to Britain just last Monday and having another parcel to go off today to The Orknies, I popped into Side PTT before I came to the office this morning.
As I thought, Britain, as always, is open to parcels and general letter-mail from Turkey.
The Postal Worker explained that whenever a country is 'Closed' to receiving anything by post from Turkey, all PTT branches throughout Turkey are e.mailed at one time and then when the address is put into the system it is automatically blocked and shown as unacceptable.

When Corona first kicked off, New Zealand blocked all mail from anywhere in the world getting onto the islands. We held one parcel for 71 days, before they reopened and we were able to send it. However, with another 10 people or so testing positive for Corona last week, New Zealand is once again closed but not only to Turkey.
Kathmandu is in total lockdown and at the moment no post is being allowed into Nepal from anywhere outside which obviously includes Turkey.
I've been holding a parcel these last 6 weeks for Kathmandu, as and when the block is lifted, it will get to go.

Nothing worse than false alarms enoch. :27: Time-wasting at best but worse is the fact that some people could have believed you!

enoch

Driving Licence Turkey
I'd love to know where you got that from because the UK is not and never has been closed to receiving post from Turkey.

Having posted something out to Britain just last Monday and having another parcel to go off today to The Orknies, I popped into Side PTT before I came to the office this morning.
As I thought, Britain, as always, is open to parcels and general letter-mail from Turkey.
The Postal Worker explained that whenever a country is 'Closed' to receiving anything by post from Turkey, all PTT branches throughout Turkey are e.mailed at one time and then when the address is put into the system it is automatically blocked and shown as unacceptable.

When Corona first kicked off, New Zealand blocked all mail from anywhere in the world getting onto the islands. We held one parcel for 71 days, before they reopened and we were able to send it. However, with another 10 people or so testing positive for Corona last week, New Zealand is once again closed but not only to Turkey.
Kathmandu is in total lockdown and at the moment no post is being allowed into Nepal from anywhere outside which obviously includes Turkey.
I've been holding a parcel these last 6 weeks for Kathmandu, as and when the block is lifted, it will get to go.

Nothing worse than false alarms enoch. :27: Time-wasting at best but worse is the fact that some people could have believed you!
If you had read the post earlier i said i read it a couple of weeks ago, if it's not true nothing I can do about it. I wouldn't have mentioned it if it had not been for this post.

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey

We were told at the post office that the Uk was not accepting post from Turkey, my wife was told and also our Turkish neighbour, who was with her, went over to check. We were not impressed having designed the card myself, driven 100km to get it professionally printed and 50km to post it!

enoch

Driving Licence Turkey
We were told at the post office that the Uk was not accepting post from Turkey, my wife was told and also our Turkish neighbour, who was with her, went over to check. We were not impressed having designed the card myself, driven 100km to get it professionally printed and 50km to post it!

Thanks Abi so I am not going senile. An apology would be nice :27:

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Driving Licence Turkey

It's no use banging off against me on this.
We send many packets off each week all over the world and fortunately I don't have to drive 50kms to the Post Office. Where on earth would you be in Turkey when you have to drive 50kms to the Post Office? That's better than Cem Yilmaz!!
With the time difference between Britain and Turkey being favourable on this one, I've just been able to call, and speak to a Postal Service Manager in a London sorting office. He, exactly as our PTT office manager here in Side this morning, confirmed that at no time had Britain been closed to accepting post from Turkey and he's worked inside the Postal Service in London for the last 22 years.

An apology could definately be in order but I won't be holding my breath.

50kms to a Post Office?? Any other TLF member have to go that far I wonder or do you just go for an outing and make a day of it?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
It's no use banging off against me on this.
We send many packets off each week all over the world and fortunately I don't have to drive 50kms to the Post Office. Where on earth would you be in Turkey when you have to drive 50kms to the Post Office? That's better than Cem Yilmaz!!
With the time difference between Britain and Turkey being favourable on this one, I've just been able to call, and speak to a Postal Service Manager in a London sorting office. He, exactly as our PTT office manager here in Side this morning, confirmed that at no time had Britain been closed to accepting post from Turkey and he's worked inside the Postal Service in London for the last 22 years.

An apology could definately be in order but I won't be holding my breath.

50kms to a Post Office?? Any other TLF member have to go that far I wonder or do you just go for an outing and make a day of it?

Yup round trip, there is one 8km away but they only have collections or deliveries once a week. You know where we live

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
I was wondering if any recent contributors on this licence thread have received their licences or news of licences yet

Driving Licence Turkey
They are starting to come through- I know 5 people who have gotten the notification and done the fingerprints etc, and 3 of them have received their actual licence. 3 had applied in late Feb/early March, 1 in mid Sept, and 1 in early Oct. These were in Fethiye, Ortaca. and Dalaman.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
I finally got my Turkish licence today. I received a call from the nufus office about 3 weeks ago to say that they had received a reply from the UK DVLA, and that I sould make the payment and get a health check completed and take the documents in to the nufus office. The health check is carried out at the local health centre, and really consisted of a very brief eye check and colour blindness check. The difficult part was to make the payment, despite having a list of driving licence fees on the wall the tax office refused to take the money. I had to go to a PTT who asked me how much it was, eventually he looked it up. I did pay an extra 220TL to add my bike licence included. I am chuffed that I can drive a tractor too! Timing was just right as my last trip out of Turkey was 3rd Sept, so I would have been due to leave again by next Wednesday.

enoch

Driving Licence Turkey
I finally got my Turkish licence today. I received a call from the nufus office about 3 weeks ago to say that they had received a reply from the UK DVLA, and that I sould make the payment and get a health check completed and take the documents in to the nufus office. The health check is carried out at the local health centre, and really consisted of a very brief eye check and colour blindness check. The difficult part was to make the payment, despite having a list of driving licence fees on the wall the tax office refused to take the money. I had to go to a PTT who asked me how much it was, eventually he looked it up. I did pay an extra 220TL to add my bike licence included. I am chuffed that I can drive a tractor too! Timing was just right as my last trip out of Turkey was 3rd Sept, so I would have been due to leave again by next Wednesday.
where could you have gone without restrictions ,could you have gone back to the uk as a transit passenger ? Ps I'm glad you got sorted

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Driving Licence Turkey
I am not sure if i could have gone to TRNC and back without leaving the airport, expensive, waste of time and not good for the environment. Very relieved to have got it. Wife's 6 months up mid March, but at least one of us can drive. We are tens of km away from anywhere here.

enoch

Driving Licence Turkey
To me it's a stupid law. They should only be interested in people driving safe. A school certificate doesn't keep the roads safe.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom