yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Driving licence rule changes
DRIVING LICENCE LAW CHANGES!!!

We have just learnt today that as of 1st January 2016 if you wish to change to a Turkish Driving Licence your original licence will be kept by the Turkish Government when the Turkish licence is issued. You will also need an educational certificate (proof of education) which must be translated to Turkish.
Before Thursday 31st December these rules do not apply and your original licences can be kept.

Just picked this up on Facebook, anyone confirm or add anything Ti it ?

Martin

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Assuming that you are referring to foreign (eg UK) licences; how can the Turkish government legally confiscate and retain a legal document issued by another government?

I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to be honest, in a similar way a passport can be retained.

Martin

kemerkid

________
There have been a few stories flying around for six months or so here in Turkey. Mostly in womens groups and markets. The story that had worried my missus was that every man jack of Turkish driving licence holders had to have a medical on January 1st (eye sight, hearing and sanity) It has worried her because she thought she was going to have to do all the driving next year!

Spurs

Spurs
I suppose if you leave Turkey you have to go to "lost property" to get your licence back, seems a bit of an ar$e about face job to me.
I think I would get myself a duplicate UK licence & sling one to whoever if that became law.

REDDERS

I believe i know the Facebook site this 'news' has come from,a Turkish translators site,but i have not seen and cannot find anywhere on official sites on the net of this yet, but i shall keep looking for an official source.

The only new news on licences is that as of Jan 2016 new ones will only be valid for 10yrs for cars and 5yrs for commercial/bus licence holders.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Cheers martin,
they no doubt offering to sought it for you at a cost.

Martin

SLEEPY

What scares me is that the 'what driving licence is valid "argument will erupt …..How could you Martin and we are not even out of Christmas!

Kanga

I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to be honest, in a similar way a passport can be retained.

Martin

Hi Martin, there's a difference between retention and confiscation. The first post seemed to imply that your UK licence would be taken permanently, and I answered on that basis, whereas although the Turkish government can and does retain your UK passport sometimes it always returns it to my knowledge.

This is probably another of these Chinese whispers that go araound from time to time and nothing comes of it, remember the rumour last year that the RP was going to be changed and the 120 day rule abolished. Still in someone's intray I expect!
Happy New Year and welcome to the 2016 year of Turkish bureaucracy.

teosgirl

Just an FYI.
I learned to drive last year in Turkey, providing proof of education was not exactly an easy task.
To learn to drive in Turkey you must be a high school graduate.

I provided GCSE certificates as proof, translated etc, and was told in no uncertain terms that "No, these are not high school graduation certificates, you didn't finish high school".
The office manager opened his folder to see what official documents are considered acceptable by the state, and as he flicked through the pages for various different nations diplomas I spotted a GCSE example document and pointed it out.
He still refused to accept them.

I eventually left the office, very upset; even my husband was confused by their attitude. It was eventually resolved (not by me) but I would assume that until the staff become familiar with the various paperwork requirements, this may be an issue for others in the future.

Charlotte

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Update on the new licence rule:

The missus and I have been going to get a Turkish licence for a while, we got our UK licences translated and the translation notarised a while ago. After reading this post it made sense not to wait for the New Year, so we went to the provincial traffic office this morning. I am not Turkish but my Turkish is fairly good and I could understand what was being said.
When I explained why I was there I was told to 'come back in the New Year', I lied and said that we would be travelling at that time and need to do it today. Then he said that they would have to keep our UK licences for 6 months to check them out. I asked directly how they would check them. he said that they would sent them to the UK or the consulate.
I asked him what we would do in the meantime, I have to travel to other countries and need to hire a car. He said that we would do it using our Turkish licence.

He could tell that we were not happy with this, and went on to say 'Don't apply, you can continue to drive on your UK licence but keep the notarised translation in the car'

I know that this is re-opening an old bag of worms, but thought that some members may be interested in my morning. It was not a complete waste of time, I got the beer crate topped up.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Just an FYI.
I learned to drive last year in Turkey, providing proof of education was not exactly an easy task.
To learn to drive in Turkey you must be a high school graduate.

I provided GCSE certificates as proof, translated etc, and was told in no uncertain terms that "No, these are not high school graduation certificates, you didn't finish high school".
The office manager opened his folder to see what official documents are considered acceptable by the state, and as he flicked through the pages for various different nations diplomas I spotted a GCSE example document and pointed it out.
He still refused to accept them.

I eventually left the office, very upset; even my husband was confused by their attitude. It was eventually resolved (not by me) but I would assume that until the staff become familiar with the various paperwork requirements, this may be an issue for others in the future.

Charlotte

I have seen driving courses offered for 'Primary school graduates' too

teosgirl

In Turkey?
High school is the equivalent of orta okul (I'm sure you know this) which is completed at 14 years of age. Primary school is Ilk okul and finishes at 10 years of age.
I don't think so. In Turkey you're not allowed to drive until you are 18 years old.
You are legally required to attend a two week evening course to learn the theory, as well as take a minimum of 12 driving lessons.

If people are worried about leaving their UK license with the Turkish authorities then they could always take a Turkish driving course and get a Turkish driving license. You can have a translator sit in on the theory exam with you and the driving test itself is easy (you've seen the driving here right?). It's just another option.

Charlotte

Last edited:

teosgirl

Is your missus going to have to do all the driving from now on Pete? :)

I wonder if they'll start doing on the spot IQ tests...much like alcohol testing. I wonder if they'll first ensure the traffic police are qualified to administer the test.

Charlotte

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
In Turkey?
High school is the equivalent of orta okul (I'm sure you know this) which is completed at 14 years of age. Primary school is Ilk okul and finishes at 10 years of age - how would a 10 year old be able to take lessons?
I don't think so. In Turkey you're not allowed to drive until you are 18 years old.
You are legally required to attend a two week evening course to learn the theory, as well as take a minimum of 12 driving lessons.

If people are worried about leaving their UK license with the Turkish authorities then they could always take a Turkish driving course and get a Turkish driving license. You can have a translator sit in on the theory exam with you and the driving test itself is easy (you've seen the driving here right?). It's just another option.

Charlotte

Yes, a couple of years ago, the sign said something like 'surucu kurslar ilk okul mezunlar için' and a starting date. I particularly noticed as our gardener is a primary school graduate and he does not drive, I discussed it with him at the time

teosgirl

That may have been true a couple of years ago. I took the tests last year and the regulations specifically say learner drivers have to be high school graduates.
There was probably another rule change or an exception for people over a certain age. Lets not forget that until 2012 education was only compulsory for 8 years, that meant children could leave school at the age of 14.

Charlotte

Hunt 23

I suppose if you leave Turkey you have to go to "lost property" to get your licence back, seems a bit of an ar$e about face job to me.
I think I would get myself a duplicate UK licence & sling one to whoever if that became law.

Duplicate is the way to go.

I have three driving licences. I keep one in my wallet, one in my house in Turkey and other at home in the UK.

Just apply for a new one and tell them that you gave lost the original.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom