Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving Licence Help
We now reside permanently in Turkey and are going back to the UK for a week at Christmas.

We wish to hire a car for our stay in the UK but have just realised our Driving Licences still have our old UK address on.

Help please, do we have to get an International Driving Licence and if so how do we do this.

Sue

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Driving Licence Help
We now reside permanently in Turkey and are going back to the UK for a week at Christmas.

We wish to hire a car for our stay in the UK but have just realised our Driving Licences still have our old UK address on.

Help please, do we have to get an International Driving Licence and if so how do we do this.

Sue

No. your old licence is fine. We go back to UK every year, hire a car with no problem.

zozatky

Driving Licence Help
Try this site if you need to change from Uk to International .
Your UK licence is good for 1 year here in Turkey.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 20

Harem

I've cliqued
Driving Licence Help
I went back to the UK for a holiday and wanted to hire a car. My old UK licence was accepted, but I did have to show a utility bill for the address I was staying at. Don't know quite what I would have done had I been staying in a hotel though!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Driving Licence Help
I went back to the UK for a holiday and wanted to hire a car. My old UK licence was accepted, but I did have to show a utility bill for the address I was staying at. Don't know quite what I would have done had I been staying in a hotel though!!

Never been asked for a utility bill.

mike dj

Driving Licence Help
Change address on licence to a relative or friend in U.K. I did this on line on D.V.L.A site new licence in 5 days and no charge. Just need to send old licence back and have new licence delivered to you by some one from U.K. or change to a Turkish licence ,never heard of stand alone International licence you still need normal one to go with it .Mike

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Driving Licence Help
Change address on licence to a relative or friend in U.K. I did this on line on D.V.L.A site new licence in 5 days and no charge. Just need to send old licence back and have new licence delivered to you by some one from U.K. or change to a Turkish licence ,never heard of stand alone International licence you still need normal one to go with it .Mike

I did the same.

JTN

Alanya Property Owner
Driving Licence Help
Hire Companies shouldnt ask for any other details unless you tell them that you live abroad. I have lived in Germany for 17yrs and have to deal with UK hire companies on a weekly basis. The worst thing that happens is my lodger at my UK address gets heaps of junk mail from them.

You can however be fined by the DLVA for not changing your address, but again someone needs to tell them there is a change. Basically - dont worry about it.

petere

Driving Licence Help
your uk driving licence is only valid in turkey for six months then you have to change it for a turkish licence - this rule applies to almost any country in the world, some only allow three months.
your uk licence will allow you to hire a car in the uk even though it shows your old address. at the time of leaving the uk you should have notified the dvla of your change.
if you change to a turkish licence you can hire a car in the uk on that- this was confirmed to me by europcar hire at gatwick.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Driving Licence Help
You can however be fined by the DLVA for not changing your address, but again someone needs to tell them there is a change.

It's a Catch22 with the DVLA. By law, you must inform them of a permanent change of address. However, if you live outside the UK, they won't accept a foreign one. So, you have to give a false home address to satisfy them.

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Driving Licence Help
As with most things in the UK once you spend more than 3 months out of the country you are no longer entitled to them ie. driving licence, national health.

For better or worse we decided to go ahead and get a Turkish driving licence. This is valid in the UK for upto a year, if you have given up the UK licence and then decide to go back there to live you have to re take your test!

zozatky

Driving Licence Help
How do you go about getting a licence in Turkey?? is it the usual nightmare?

Gary

An International one is not. All done online as long as you have a current uk licence . Any yes its good for Turkey had mine now for 5 years with no probs. Were ever I need to produce it its fine even in the Uk . Less hassle than applying for a Turkish licence.

Last edited:

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Driving Licence Help
There are other threads on this and not everyone agrees this is the correct thing to do or is necessary .....!!!!

We got our Turkish driving licence 2 weeks ago. The application was completed over 2 days, of course the main bugbear is the cost - 400tl pp plus a fee for a translator/agent for assistance.

zozatky

Driving Licence Help
There are other threads on this and not everyone agrees this is the correct thing to do or is necessary .....!!!!

We got our Turkish driving licence 2 weeks ago. The application was completed over 2 days, of course the main bugbear is the cost - 400tl pp plus a fee for a translator/agent for assistance.

As I have stated before each to there own Information was asked for and I gave it Wether its necessary or not & its a lot cheaper & main reason I got it its reconised world wide

mike dj

Driving Licence Help
Zozatky I checked all IDD license issuers out before I moved toTurkey .This is the info
Translation is valid for three years but can not be used for more than one year in same country or once the driver has established residence there. If the driver lives or stays in this country ,the motorist must apply for a local driving permit .IDD is only a translation of a drivers license . This is wording as on the internet site of a IDD provider .Mike

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Driving Licence Help
According to Greenflag and the AA, an IDP is valid for 1 year from date of issue. This is shown on the first link you have given!!

zozatky

Driving Licence Help
According to Greenflag and the AA, an IDP is valid for 1 year from date of issue. This is shown on the first link you have given!!

Yes you are correct on that . However if you dig deeper into the info you can obtain them for 3 years renewable providing your UK licence is in Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom