ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Driving in Turkey
Did you know that most traffic accidents occur during and just after Ramazan?

Seemingly, t[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]his temporary lack of food and stimulants may have a deleterious effect on levels of alertness, particularly for persons driving trucks, buses, taxis and cars, and the Seker Bayrami holiday following Ramadan brings a dramatic increase in intercity traffic and the highest accident rates of the year. [/FONT]

So take care during this time!!

Some other Turkish driving habits to be aware of;

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Passing on the right and cutting in front of other vehicles from the right side[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Pulling over to the right and letting vehicles pass before turning left[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Unexpected stops or turns without signalling, for no apparent reason [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Stopping in unexpected locations to pick up or let off passengers by cars, buses and trucks, including main highway entrance ramps, intersections, and along major highways[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Pedestrians seemingly completely oblivious to oncoming traffic who continue to walk or run in front of vehicles to cross streets and main highways [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Trucks parked on the highway at night without lights rather than on the side of the road[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Disabled vehicles parked without warning signs[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Inattentive drivers[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Unskilled drivers[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Taxis and other vehicles with bad brakes[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Unexpected lane changes and stops by taxis, mini-buses (dolmus) and city buses[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Tractors, horsecarts and farm vehicles travelling without lights at slow speed on highways[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—In the countryside, the use of stones or tree branches rather than warning signs to mark accidents, breakdowns, and road work[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—During rainstorms, accidents increase dramatically because of oil on the road surface[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Road surfaces that are much smoother and provide less traction than normal [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Vehicles backing up (in reverse) on exit ramps and on main highways [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Animals on highways[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—In the countryside, watch for herds of sheep, goats and other animals on roads[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Drivers who tend to drive in the middle of the road, making it difficult to overtake them (do NOT overtake on the right, even if there is room to do so)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Drivers that overtake on blind curves[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—At night, cars without lights or lights missing[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Oncoming drivers who flash their headlights whether you have your "brights" on or not[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Tyre-shredding potholes[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Tailgating drivers (ie, drivers following too closely)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Drivers that attempt to pass you while you are passing another vehicle[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Unmarked intersections (ie, no stop signs), primary road has right of way, but proceed with caution[/FONT]

Feel free to add your own.....

Source:Turkish Driving Habits

C

pldouglas

Driving in Turkey
Yup. That just about sums up the experience of driving in Turkey! The Dearly Beloved reckons its the most dangerous sport he has ever been involved with. We have ridden thousands of miles all over the continent and UK on motorbikes over the past 35 years, attended dozens of rallies and never once encountered the kind of crazy antics you see on the roads over there. Can be kind of fun though in an odd sort of way....

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Driving in Turkey
Forbes just rated Turkey the forth worst country in the world to drive in. Seen an accident today......young guy driving a Porshe fiat going atleast 100 in the city didn't think about getting Porshe barkes installed on that fiat of his and well lets just say the bus won....lol

Biker Bob

Driving in Turkey
I found driving in Turkey less scary than I had expected, mostly because of the funny and serious advice I got on here. I can say that driving in Athens, Paris, London and Coventry are far worse Ha Ha!

jakebeak

Driving in Turkey
Yeah, having driven across Europe I'd say Italy in particular is scary!! People tail-gating you at 100 mph. In Turkey slow drivers pull over so you can overtake easily and if they're driving fast they just overtake you. At least no one gets aggressive like they do in Britain with obscene gestures and invitations of battering you to death etc..Oh joy!

ChrisBobs

Driving in Turkey
I think it has improved over the years - generally- tho the heat and visitng drivers seem to add an extra dimension of silliness to drivers here in summer....and Ramazan starts in the heat of August this year.....this year watch out.......

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Driving in Turkey
Yeah, having driven across Europe I'd say Italy in particular is scary!! People tail-gating you at 100 mph. In Turkey slow drivers pull over so you can overtake easily and if they're driving fast they just overtake you. At least no one gets aggressive like they do in Britain with obscene gestures and invitations of battering you to death etc..Oh joy!

What were you doing going 100 MPH in the first place....can't say they are bad when you are...lol

Biker Bob

jakebeak

Driving in Turkey
It's not a question of being "as bad as they are", it's keeping up with speed of traffic on the motorways. Driving slowly can also be a dangerous thing!

Number6

Driving in Turkey
I found driving in Turkey less scary than I had expected, mostly because of the funny and serious advice I got on here. I can say that driving in Athens, Paris, London and Coventry are far worse Ha Ha!

You can't have tried driving in Ankara then!:77wu:

jakebeak

Driving in Turkey
Yeah, we've driven to and from Ankara too. We were with friends a couple of years ago in one of their cars in rush hour traffic, (although all day seems to be rush hour in Ankara), and we did think we were going to die as our friend was driving with one hand and talking on his mobile with the other! Happy days!

Top Bottom