Maria-s

Thinking of moving
Driving from UK
Morning everyone...just wondering if anyone has driven from UK to Alanya.

I have so many bags thought this might be easier. If anyone has, what route did you take., l have heard it takes 3/4 days?

Any help would be appreciated.:angel:

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
Driving from UK
Hi Maria-s,

I drove to Turkey and back this summer. Going out we went via Italy and Greece taking the ferry at Ancona over to Igoumenitsa then down to Fethiye it took us 5 days door to door.
Coming back we went via Bulagaria, serbia, Hungary and Austria we did that in 4 days but it involved a lot of driving each day for one person.
Keep in mind that from entering Turkey either by the Greek or Bulagarian border i figure its a good 16 - 18 hour drive down to Alanya.

Pete

BruceK

Driving from UK
We drove from Scotland to Dalaman and back earlier this year and wrote a blog of the trip which you can see here -

Scotland -to-Dalaman | A bloody long walk

We did it as a once in a lifetime road trip, taking two weeks to drive to Turkey and four weeks to drive back.

Its a long blog, with pictures, and Wordpress lists blogs newest first, so you would have to start at the bottom and work up to get the correct sequence of events.

I hope this helps,

Bruce

Maria-s

Thinking of moving
Driving from UK
Hi Maria-s,

I drove to Turkey and back this summer. Going out we went via Italy and Greece taking the ferry at Ancona over to Igoumenitsa then down to Fethiye it took us 5 days door to door.
Coming back we went via Bulagaria, serbia, Hungary and Austria we did that in 4 days but it involved a lot of driving each day for one person.
Keep in mind that from entering Turkey either by the Greek or Bulagarian border i figure its a good 16 - 18 hour drive down to Alanya.

Pete
Great blog / pictures to read. Your an expert.. Don't think l could manage this driving alone.

If the search at the Turkish border is so thorough l would be there all day with all that l intend to bring. Looks like flying for me with daunting cost of excess baggage.
An more tips would be appreciated..are to living in Turkey.

Maria-s

Thinking of moving
Driving from UK
We drove from Scotland to Dalaman and back earlier this year and wrote a blog of the trip which you can see here -

Scotland -to-Dalaman | A bloody long walk

We did it as a once in a lifetime road trip, taking two weeks to drive to Turkey and four weeks to drive back.

Its a long blog, with pictures, and Wordpress lists blogs newest first, so you would have to start at the bottom and work up to get the correct sequence of events.

I hope this helps,

Bruce
Many thanks for your help. I think l would be a bit worried to drive alone all this way.
Sounds pretty expensive also..fuel,tolls and staying over to rest.
Are you living in Turkey?

Maria-s

Thinking of moving
Driving from UK
Morning everyone...just wondering if anyone has driven from UK to Alanya.

I have so many bags thought this might be easier. If anyone has, what route did you take., l have heard it takes 3/4 days?

Any help would be appreciated.:angel:
Thank you for the replies

Susiepink

Driving from UK
Hi Maria,
I am also going to live in Turkey in a few weeks time. I have looked at every option regarding get my possessions out there. I wanted to bring all my furniture, everything, but I had to abandon that idea as just too expensive. I have now decided to bring as much as I can on a flight. Jet2 allow 3 x 22 kg hold bags each at a cost of around £23. My daughter is coming out for a few days, that allows me to get 6 x 22 kg bags over there at a cost of £138. Then I have bought a holdall that folds up so on each trip home to the UK I will travel back with hand luggage and return to Turkey with another hold bag full of stuff. Eventually I will have managed to get all my small stuff out there at least. Jet2 fly into Dalaman from various UK airports, but not Gatwick.
Hope this helps, good luck
Sue:juggle:

giglets

Driving from UK
Good luck with your trip, Maria.

I'm sure you will have a few adventures along the way.

martin m

Driving from UK
Hi Maria.
Dont know if you know but in the search box top right, just put driving to Turkey and theres loads of threads that will come up from members that have done this over the years, with some excellent tips, its a topic that gets covered quite a lot, so you will probably find a lot of pros and cons. loads of things covered like expenses, with tolls and ferries, fuel, stopping points, dodgy places, good places.
good luck
martin

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Driving from UK
Jackie and self really fancy doing a London Bodrum run on one of our motorbikes , those of you who know Simon and Asli Cuss , ( Idealworld Bodrum ) might not be aware he did the trip in a week on his motorbike.

We would take a week or two to tour down , but we really do fancy it when we retire.

Good luck to all.

Steve.

tabetha

Driving from UK
-->: Driving from UK

Hi all i drove from north of England to İstanbul nearly two years ago just me and two kids 5 and 4. We came in a transit fully laden you could not have fit a pin in the van if you had wanted to. İ knew it would be alot of driving for one person but wanted to bring things over. Had no problems what so ever drove stopped and drove again met some lovely people on the way most of the time camped out stayed in hotels twice roads not to bad although did not drive after dark the kids loved it it was a great adventure for them arrived in Turkey safe and sound.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom