ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Donations
This is a tricky subject and all I want to do is give my views on it and not offend anyone :p

Some people posted recently about the rep points and thanks being displayed and thought it wasn't a good thing - some of course did.

Along the same lines, I feel quite uncomfortable about the donation icons on display - I don't think it's a good idea as it may make some members uncomfortable, embarrassed, or feel pressured because they haven't any icons displayed - I notice one now saying 'highest donation' - I'm sorry but I do find that a little vulgar.

Don't get me wrong over the laudable causes involved here - it's a wonderful idea.

Donations like this in my view however should be discreet.........

C

Guz1

Donations
I notice one now saying 'highest donation' - I'm sorry but I do find that a little vulgar.
C

The "highest donation" thing isn't even accurate. Presently, I have a highest donation star awarded to me since I bought two of Kaplumba's paintings, yet I just paid for the paintings whereas Kaplumba actually donated the proceeds...........more than a little embarrassing for me.

PASH

Donations
Personally, i do not have an issue with it, these sites are very expensive to maintain and to me its Mushtaq way of saying thank you. I would probably agree that one small icon would be enough rather than quantifying the donation!

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Donations
Well done for bringing this up, I have felt under pressure to donate from some threads but I keep to a strict rule on what I donate to. I don;t mind fundraising and giving my time to causes but am not in a position to be able to donate willy nilly to all.

It does become a bit vulgar when it is displayed in this way.

Regards

Eve

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Donations
hmmm....
I do agree with you, but I still think it shoudl be clear who bothered to give something for the maintenance of the forum and who didn't (because I think it is everybody's duty to give something )
As for the charitiy donations, they should not be mentionned in that way

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Donations
I have removed the awards system, some people don't want to show off that they gave and some don't want to feel guilty that they didn't.

Having the awards showing I think just keeps it visible that there is such a system without having to push the subject too much.

We had the same issue before when we had the TLF charity going before, lot of people complained about that too, mainly the people who didn't actually donated but felt under pressure because they it was visible that they didn't.

I don't think people should be pressurised to donate, it's either they want to or don't it's an individual choice.

I however would like to thank the people who bother to give something back, and that was my reason for having that award facility, maybe I'll think of another way.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Donations
Why is it our duty?

Its in people interests to keep it going if they like using it but being their duty..I'm not so sure.

I think what Sparrow is saying is that it's a moral duty to give something back, but lot of people don't care they will happily take something for nothing until it's available, and if it happens to not be there for some reason (lack of support for instance) they will just look for something else.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Donations
Look, if you want to give , then give, if you don't then don't. Why is such a symbol on the screen making a big deal? Are people not going to give because of that?
Everybody understands that not all, have the funds to give to something. If you are going to give because you think people will speak about you because you haven't, well , if the cap fits !!!!!!!!!!

RANT OVER

Jeannie

Guz1

Donations
Thanks, Mushtaq, for removing it. I don't have an issue with fundraising....just didn't like the gold bars and stars.

Donations
I can understand your reasoning Mushtaq but if I give,I do it because I want to.
I too found the awards thing embarrassing when I looked at it and I almost cowered at the sight of those bars.
Its not something I want to be thanked for really and for people like Pebble,it became more of a moral duty for me personally and my private decision.
Mind you ,you can click no publicity on the PayPal process I think.
Agree with Ceemac and very pleased he mentioned it!!

Last edited:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Donations
I am not actively seeking donations, it's there on the donations page and people do so if they feel like it, I have never asked directly for donations. The forum started Free and will stay Free as I never planned to monetize it, not that I haven't have offers over ther years to sell it to various parties.

The awards system is there for ALL donations, where people have donated for different causes, not just for TLF support.

I don't know why people make an issue of me raising some funds to keep the site running, I have spend over 4 years maintaining this site and spent countless hours to keep it going, I'm not looking for thanks or money but if someone thanks me or donates to the TLF fund then it's appreciated.

I have kept advertising rates on the high side because I don't want too many adverts otherwise people will complain there are too many adverts.

Martyn

Donations
Ok here is my tuppence on the subject. I will give and always will give where I think I should, I don't need pressure or gold bars etc. What I will say is that there are givers and takers in this world and indeed on this forum. I believe you should give something back and we can all plead poverty but I just think some people are tight and never give to anything. The fact is we all sit in front of computers, with holiday homes maybe and so are probably not poor. Yes we might have an overdraft, credit etc but have a look at the world today and make a comparison to yourself. People need their consciences pricked now and again to realise how lucky they are. Money isn't everything but it can make a massive difference to some people.

I think removing the donation icon is probably right but I can pretty much guarantee donations won't go up because of it being removed and maybe it pricked a few consciences being there.

Last edited:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Donations
I have nothing to hide... I'll proudly admit that since Pebbles fund started I've made several donations to it, but not only to Pebbles fund but to other causes here needing donations.. i was happy for others to see that i had made donations.. it showed that i was giving something back.
I've not disclosed on any thread how much i have donated but anyone can see those details if they wish to view another members profile.
It did embarrass me a little to have so many gold bars, anyone might thing i was made of money.. and i feel it wasn't necessary.. maybe just one bar to show that donations or a donation had been made would have sufficed.
Alan.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Donations
Regarding my remark that it is a duty to contribute to the maintenance of this forum, I exactly meant what I said........
You cannot expect a forum like this to run on water and sunshine, do you ?

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Donations
At the risk of sounding nosey how much does a web-site like this cost?

It is being nosey, but seriously though it's difficult to properly quantify, the cost of running the site is not that much, but it has taken months of man hours to get it to work, there are also many hours a month on maintenance and administration, not to mention the time moderators donate to keeping things running smooth.

I am an IT professional by trade, if I calculate the time I spend on TLF at my normal rates it would be very expensive to run, because lot of time I am doing this when I maybe should be charging a client my time.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Donations
LOL Mushtaq I bet sometimes you wish you hadn't started it. Do you ever feel like just deleting the whole forum?

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Donations
LOL Mushtaq I bet sometimes you wish you hadn't started it. Do you ever feel like just deleting the whole forum?

No, I'm very proud of the forum as it has archived a great deal and has taken a life of it's own.

It has been a labour of love from the start because I felt there was a need for somewhere to find information about Turkey, this was after I tried to find the information myself without too much success.

I never planned to make money from it, and funded it myself from the beginning, if I make some money from adverts or donations then it's a help otherwise it's not a problem, the lack of funding will not stop the forum from running, it's the members and the moderators that make the forum what it is.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom