Nigel517

Don,t let your visa expire. Its 90 days not 3 months
Having just returned to the uk from Turkey we got a shock at the airport. We went out 0n 24th June 09 and returned in September for another three weeks leaving on 23/09/09 . They double checked our visa on the second occasion and happily let us through. When going back through the passport check my partner was let through without problem but I went through a different kiosk and was pulled to one side where an eagle eyed official pointed out that my visa was one day out of date. I thought it was a three month visa when the official pointed out it was 90 days and showed me the calculation of 30 + 31+ 31 = 91 days. They then dragged my partner back and fined us 326 lira.
I complained ,argued, (they had double checked it going in) and it was clearly a genuine mistake but there was no leeway, no compassion.
Great for public relations !!!
When I refused to pay they said I would not be allowed back into Turkey for 5 years. I would normally have told them to shove it but owning a villa in Turkey in an area we love I had no choice but to pay. It has left a very sour taste.
The airline officials and airport officials all got involved at some stage and whilst they agreed with me the police were not for changing their minds.

Be warned.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
A further warning to others.

The fact that "they double checked it going in" doesn't matter. They're only interested in your visa being valid for entry. It's your responsibility to make sure that your visa is still going to be valid whilst you're here and most importantly when you exit the country.

For those of you who are using the 90 days to the limit, be careful about arrival and departure times in Turkey around the turn of midnight. There can be days gained or lost during this period.

To make calculations a bit simpler in the future try using this calculator.

Calculator: Add to or subtract from a date

Remember though, the date of arrival is counted , so you should only add a further 89 in order to get the correct expiry date of a 90 day visa.

Last edited:

water

It's prnted on the stamp 90 Days! Why should they change the rules just because you played up
Sue

Nigel517

Sue you should maybe join the the Turkish Police or become a traffic cop. I am pointing out to others not to make the same mistake. The fact that there is no leniency and the fines are heavy.

alison09400

Having just returned to the uk from Turkey we got a shock at the airport. We went out 0n 24th June 09 and returned in September for another three weeks leaving on 23/09/09 . They double checked our visa on the second occasion and happily let us through

On what date did you enter Turkey in September?

The airport police don't ask you how long you're staying in the country so therefore wouldn't know what date you were returning to the UK. For all they knew you were only going to be staying a fortnight.

Unfortunately a rule is a rule and can't be seen to be levied for some and not for others.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
A timely reminder indeed. I would suspect that those checking the visas have no discretionary powers and that's why it appears harsh.

I think when you knew you were going to be so close to the time limit, it may have been worthwhile to pay another tenner coming in - but hindsight's a wonderful thing isn't it :D

C

Nigel517

23rd June. Thought it was a three month visa, guilty of not reading it closely. the passport official going in actually checked our leaving dates and did not see the obvious mistake. Clearly I am at fault but I just letting others no not to make the same mistake and not to expect any leniency. They seemed to work out the fine according to the number of days and around £70 for 1 day doubled because there was two of us I think is rather excessive. My post is to warn others not to make the same mistake, not be called by people like Sue. That sort of attitude stops people posting.

Peregrine

I have never been asked when I am going to leave, they only check that the visa is current to let me in

its up to you to know when you leave and to check accordingly

I wouldnt be blaming the authorities for this

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Nigel in fairness has only posted to alert others of what happened to him and why - don't think it calls for any smart remarks about what he now knows to be the case.

Just on this subject, the Turkish Consulate in London has updated it's website and now contains extensive information regarding visas for Turkey.

See here

C

Last edited:

tomc1984

Actually I love paying my £10 and would not quibble. NOT.......... where does it go anyway? Why do we have to have exaclty £10 notes if there are 2 of you, why not £20?

my husband went back to England he had only purchased his visa 3 weeks previously .He was gone for 2 weeks but was forced to buy another visa at Bodrum . The whole thing nearly got heated and they would not let him through unless he purchased another one, it was late at night wondered if they are trying to make money on the side

Our visas were one day out of date too and they would only accept £100 cash sterling, nothing else and it was only by a very strange and unusual chance that I had £100 on me!!!They would not let us pay by credit card either and said if we did not have it they would put a note on our passport and we would have to pay when we next came to turkey.If we never paid it we too would not be allowed back in for 5 years which of course we did not want to happen as we too have a villa.I had asked at customs when we arrived if our visa was valid for the length of our visit as I would have been happy to pay the £10 if needed and was told by them that it would be fine.Ha ha you live and learn!!!I got rather overheated at their attitude which was not very pleasant but my hubby told me to calm down as he didnt want to spend a night in a turkish prison cell!!!!!

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
If you live here then get residency. More expensive but a lot less hassle at the end of the day.

Harem

I've cliqued
I seem to remember quite a few threads on this subject - stressing that it is a 90 day visa and not three months.

23rd June. Thought it was a three month visa, guilty of not reading it closely. the passport official going in actually checked our leaving dates and did not see the obvious mistake. Clearly I am at fault but I just letting others no not to make the same mistake and not to expect any leniency. They seemed to work out the fine according to the number of days and around £70 for 1 day doubled because there was two of us I think is rather excessive. My post is to warn others not to make the same mistake, not be called by people like Sue. That sort of attitude stops people posting.

Totally agree with you Nigel, you have only posted to alert others, the smart-arse remarks are uncalled for , AND YES, it does stop others posting on what could be a very useful forum. Well done for trying to make your very valid point to 'help' others.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Is it possible to extend a visa for a few days without leaving the country?

The short answer is no.

There are a couple of ways in which it can be done under very special circumstances but just overstaying for a holiday doesn't apply.

parrot

As I have pointed out before there are two stamps,one for 90 days and one for 3 months I have both on my passport,this could lead to confusion.As for only accepting cash well that speaks volumes or am I being cynical again,a nice little earner.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom