susi

susi
dogs
Sorry if this upsets some people but we have just returned from 3 wonderfull weeks at our apartment in altinkum, well wonderfull apart from the street dogs barking all and every night, please tell me why there are objections to a mass cull which I and many people, both turkish and british, are seeking,the only objectors are the brits but why can you interfere in something the turkish have allways done when there would be an outcry if they were trying to enforce their customs here in britain, the people who are neutering these animals are not animal lovers as what better quality of life does it give them, we have a local bar by us which has a huge dog and they also feed 2 strays, when they go home at night to their nice quiet apartment we have to put up with the constant barking, these dogs are also very dangerous, there have been many reports of unprovoked attacks recently, imagine if it were a child,
This had to be said I am afraid as here in britain we would not allow dogs to roam the streets, I am sure I will get some comments but hope that many of you will agree with me,thanks, susi

dogs
The "people" who neuter the dogs are employed by the belediye,and are following Turkish Law...........it has nothing to do with the British.
A mass cull????And how do you suggest this is done-poison,guns????Please enlighten me on that one.
You say the bar own the dog that disturbs your sleep.........well this is not a street dog,but an owned dog.If an owned dog presents problems by being noisy due to the owners failure to provide care,then you can ask the Polis or Belediye Zabita to investigate.
We have noisy dogs near us-but they are all owned and left to their own devices(generally chained up on a balcony or in a garden) whilst the owners are out,or in.
Not all dogs wandering are street dogs.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
dogs
The law against culling is a Turkish Law.

The dogs have probably been here a lot longer than you have. Why should they be killed just to give you a good nights sleep?

Neuter and release is the way to go. The shelter do a great job.

So sick of the whiny Brits who think everythng should be like back "home". Well this is Turkey and if you don't like it don't buy here. You give the rest of us a bad name.

dogs
well susi.why dont you start the cull your self get some poison put it ın some meat and feed to the street dogs.and maybe one wıll end up at your house and die ın agony as dıd the brother of my dog last year.not nıce to watch but you wıll get a better nights sleep.rant over Jim.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
dogs
It is not the fault of the dog that it is homeless, and many people who move into Turkey (not just British) have given the "street dogs" (you called them), a good loving home and in return have many happy years of loyal friendship, an animal does not ask for anything material, just food and shelter, and love and we gain so much pleasure from them. The animal shelter, as has been said do a sterling job, as so do many others who have animal fund charity raising events to pay for the neutering/ spading of animals, "not to cull them". Whenever we go to our home in Turkey, we find that the dogs and cats in our village are very friendly and find it appalling when we hear that yet another dog has been poisoned, one that became quite special in our short time there was poisoned last year, it was heart breaking to hear this. I'm afraid you seem to have bought in a country where, perhaps, you knew what to expect, but now don't like it!!!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
dogs
I also had the problem with barking dogs all night. I went and bought an air conditioner for my bedroom and kept my window shut. Slept better in the cool also.

Biker Bob

carolk

R.I.P
dogs
Many of us have the problem of barking dogs at night but would never suggest what you suggest!! There has to be a better way forward and many people are doing their best to alleviate the problem and looking for a solution within the law. What you are suggesting is barbaric!!

parrot

dogs
Sorry if this upsets some people but we have just returned from 3 wonderfull weeks at our apartment in altinkum, well wonderfull apart from the street dogs barking all and every night, please tell me why there are objections to a mass cull which I and many people, both turkish and british, are seeking,the only objectors are the brits but why can you interfere in something the turkish have allways done when there would be an outcry if they were trying to enforce their customs here in britain, the people who are neutering these animals are not animal lovers as what better quality of life does it give them, we have a local bar by us which has a huge dog and they also feed 2 strays, when they go home at night to their nice quiet apartment we have to put up with the constant barking, these dogs are also very dangerous, there have been many reports of unprovoked attacks recently, imagine if it were a child,
This had to be said I am afraid as here in britain we would not allow dogs to roam the streets, I am sure I will get some comments but hope that many of you will agree with me,thanks, susi
Susi you have committed the cardinal sin of upsetting the doggy brigade.

teresa

Free Thinker
dogs
One thing I am interested in. Recently I considered that it is generally "us" who get fed up with dogs barking (our street dogs have just sounded off LOL). I have many Turkish neighbours and I have hardly ever heard so much as a shhh from the window at night.

We live here now and the barking does not disturb us as much as when we came for 2 weeks at a time. Are Turkish people used to it because it happens everywhere, are they more chilled or do they regard the dogs as security?

We had one of our street dogs "slaughtered" this week by someone - and that word is chosen because she was cut from side to side, possibly hit by a shovel as there are some workmen nearby. She did sometimes bark at night, she was excellent security and she is sadly mourned by a lot of people both British and Turkish. We all loved her.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
dogs
l always come across this type of attitude time and time again,where it seems the only solution to a closed mind is culling.
"Well"!,excuse for living,while the dogs gets the blame.lt is not the dogs fault to be roaming in packs and barking day and night.lt is the fault of us humans.

Humans are extremely selfish and closed minded,where they will put the blame on a another source instaed of them taking the blame and sort out the real root of the problem.
It happens every year,where many Turkish holiday makers comes to the resort with their dog and just before they head back to the cities,they dump their dog to roam and breed leaving the area with the problem.They don't care one bit of the well being of a living creature,so long as they get rid of something that they have grown tired of.

The only answer to this problem is to educate the people and also with stiff penalties.The answer is not to ignore the real root to this problem.Poisoning and shooting the dogs is a barbaric and very stupid attitude.But using a humane way of thinking will solve the problem far quicker and more effiently then the use of uneducated methods.

Lindacm

dogs
I would not wish any harm to any animal..unless it was a danger to someone else, animal or person alike. However, the dogs that bark all night are a real problem to everyone, Brit/Turk alike.

Most of the problems we have with dogs comes from dogs that are owned. I think these people ought to be held responsible for the noise that their dogs make. They ought to be asked to keep their dogs quiet at night, if not they ought to be reported to the police. Whatever the consequences of that is on the head of the owner.

We have a dog that barks all night behind our property. He disturbs all the neighbours. The owner lives in Germany and his 3 dogs stay on their own when he's away...although well fed and watered in a huge garden. One barks all night. We rang the owner in Germany and he did not seem at all bothered, he said the dog would be quiet when he comes...on 15th July!! This persons needs reporting to the police so that he can take some responsibility for the problems he has caused by leaving his dogs alone at the property.

I don't blame the dogs, but they cannot be allowed to disturb everyone either.

miela

dogs
Im afraid we have a similar problem in Yalikavak, there are so many dogs who have just come to live on the complex next to us, they are obviously being fed by the owners when they are on holiday and when the apartments are rented out, we get the nuisance of them when they are hungry and demanding food. Over the winter these dogs turn very nasty when they are hungry and tried to stop the lady who does our cleaning from leaving one of the apartments on the sitesi next to us. She was terrified, they were snarling at her and she had to fight her way off the balcony with a chair. She was terrified. Someone is going to get badly hurt maybe even a child.

Harem

I've cliqued
dogs
I would not wish any harm to any animal..unless it was a danger to someone else, animal or person alike. However, the dogs that bark all night are a real problem to everyone, Brit/Turk alike.

Most of the problems we have with dogs comes from dogs that are owned. I think these people ought to be held responsible for the noise that their dogs make. They ought to be asked to keep their dogs quiet at night, if not they ought to be reported to the police. Whatever the consequences of that is on the head of the owner.

We have a dog that barks all night behind our property. He disturbs all the neighbours. The owner lives in Germany and his 3 dogs stay on their own when he's away...although well fed and watered in a huge garden. One barks all night. We rang the owner in Germany and he did not seem at all bothered, he said the dog would be quiet when he comes...on 15th July!! This persons needs reporting to the police so that he can take some responsibility for the problems he has caused by leaving his dogs alone at the property.

I don't blame the dogs, but they cannot be allowed to disturb everyone either.

If his dogs bark all night, then phone him persistently in the middle of the night so that he is kept awake all night. Perhaps he will get the message.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
dogs
So like many other people you holidayed in Turkey probably several times , Are you actualy saying you not once Noticed groups of dogs ? And you never heard dogs barking ? If so were on earth in Turkey did you go ? I wonder have you noticed That most Turkish people live in blocks of flats some 6 storeys high , Many Turkish believe its dirty to have a dog in the home . And if your on the 4th 5th or 6th floor and the dog wants a pee its impossible to open the door to let it out on the garden . Thats one reason why they are outside ! If you love Turkey you have to love it warts an all , Dogs roam free all over Turkey includeing the big citys . However theres a solution for you as you can live up in the mountains were you'll hear only wolves and see snakes !!! You buy an apt and fly in for two or three weeks and think you can change the countrys culture , Yet people who have made it thier home fell in love with Turkey and its culture , If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen , the Turkish get blamed for poisening dogs But with people of your mind set this may not always be the case , No matter how long you holiday for or live in this lovely country you will never be Turkish you will always be a guest . Both I and my Turkish Husband suggest you be a guest somewere else !

aysel

dogs
People like critising as if they were perfect ;There is an Indian saying ''If you are not trying to correct the mistakes you are quilty as much as others ''So dont complain because that doesnt finish your responsibility for other living things whether you live in Turkey or somewhereelse.

Last edited:

pldouglas

dogs
We are animal lovers, have 2 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats and live our lives round them, they really rule the roost!
One visit to our villa in Yali last year bought me close to desperation with lack of sleep. We had arrived in the early hours after a long delayed flight, fell into bed and were woken 2 hours later by a pack of barking wild dogs, about 10 of them. They continued to bark for the next 5 nights also attacked and badly wounded a neighbours dog (I think they were after a bitch in season) I got so desperate for sleep that, had I got a gun, I honestly think I would have used it - and I am the sort of person who fishes spiders out of the bath so they don't drown! One night I ended up standing on the patio in my nightie screaming at the dogs while crying my eyes out, there is nothing like sleep deprevation to render you hysterical and unreasonable.
I have mixed feelings about a cull, if I believed there was a kind way to do it then I think I would agree with it - for thier own sakes as well as those of us humans.,

Lindacm

dogs
If his dogs bark all night, then phone him persistently in the middle of the night so that he is kept awake all night. Perhaps he will get the message.

Yes, sometimes I feel like that....either way, we don't get any sleep!

miela

dogs
So like many other people you holidayed in Turkey probably several times , Are you actualy saying you not once Noticed groups of dogs ? And you never heard dogs barking ? If so were on earth in Turkey did you go ? I wonder have you noticed That most Turkish people live in blocks of flats some 6 storeys high , Many Turkish believe its dirty to have a dog in the home . And if your on the 4th 5th or 6th floor and the dog wants a pee its impossible to open the door to let it out on the garden . Thats one reason why they are outside ! If you love Turkey you have to love it warts an all , Dogs roam free all over Turkey includeing the big citys . However theres a solution for you as you can live up in the mountains were you'll hear only wolves and see snakes !!! You buy an apt and fly in for two or three weeks and think you can change the countrys culture , Yet people who have made it thier home fell in love with Turkey and its culture , If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen , the Turkish get blamed for poisening dogs But with people of your mind set this may not always be the case , No matter how long you holiday for or live in this lovely country you will never be Turkish you will always be a guest . Both I and my Turkish Husband suggest you be a guest somewere else !

Well I had only been to Turkey once before I purchased a home there, I went to Gumbet and didn't see sight nor sign of a dog let alone the packs of dogs that are currently roaming Yalikavak.

These dogs are not cared for nor are they wanted by anyone. No-one re-arranges their day, week, month, year, lives or holidays around them or makes arrangements for them to be looked after when they are not around. Some people feed them intermittently when they are around to do so or have the left over food to give them and then they go back to England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales for the winter, leaving these animals to the mercy of the people who are left behind or you could say leaving the people who are left behind to the mercy of the animals.

I think it is cruelty to allow this to happen and whilst animals have the right to a decent home so do the people who live in the towns and villages that are plagued by these strays. I would never want to see them harmed in any way and am appauled that anyone would choose to poison them but I am equally appauled that some people feed them in the summer and leave them to starve and cause major disruption to the lives of the people who live there all year round.

If they don't have homes then no-body wants them then as with any animal left to its own devises they can and will turn wild and dangerous to humans. And we have to remember that not everyone is equipped to deal with these packs who sometimes confront people on their own, being frightened by them is the least of your worries, they can and sometimes are dangerous to humans. Those dangers are far more frequently played out than the dangers that humans pose to the dogs. Anyone feeding these dogs are presenting problems to the eating establishments in the towns and villages also as I and most others hate eating my dinner with a dog roaming around between the tables or a cat jumping onto the chair beside me.

Animal welfare is important but I don't believe that feeding these animals now and again, is enhansing anyones welfare, maybe not a popular view and I am an animal lover but I think that humans have rights too.

Miela

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom