KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Dogs Poisoned in Kaya Koyu
I don't know the full story yet but both of the dogs at the Villa Rhapsody in Kaya have died after being poisoned.

Harem

I've cliqued
Wow, that's terrible. Please let us know when you find out what the full story is.

Tess

WHYWould anyone get any satisfaction from doing something like that. Dirty rotters!!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Thats it !!!! I will not bring my adorable dogs to Turkey , Lovely beaches scenery , lovely people ???? Dog murderers aren't so lovely !!!! My hubby won.t come to UK its to cold , Now i won't bring my dogs Looks like we have to go our seperate ways , Its my choice and i just made it , Either way my heart gets broken now crying my eyes out , Hugs to all of you , :boohoo: Diane

carolk

R.I.P
Diane, I brought my dog here. I am as vigilant as can possibly be, he is only walked on the lead (ever) and if he attempts to eat anything I get it out of his mouth straight away. I know it means they cant run through the fields etc but you also have to be careful of other dogs that roam and fight.

It can be done, so please re-think!!

Alan
When you next speak with Jeanne and Atilla, please tell them how sad we are to read about this.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
So sorry about this - please be vigilant with your pets - keep on lead always

ZiaCa'

Alan, I've just realised that these were Atilla's dogs? Ilhan's friend?

I really don't understand how anyone could commit such acts of cruelty...and as a previous post said, unfortunately, it will probably go unpunished.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Thats it !!!! I will not bring my adorable dogs to Turkey , Lovely beaches scenery , lovely people ???? Dog murderers aren't so lovely !!!! My hubby won.t come to UK its to cold , Now i won't bring my dogs Looks like we have to go our seperate ways , Its my choice and i just made it , Either way my heart gets broken now crying my eyes out , Hugs to all of you , :boohoo: Diane

I'm not aware of your circumstances of course Pineapple, but that sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut :dizzy:

I don't live in Turkey but I read an awful lot about dog poisonings on TLF.

What I do know though is that there has been a law since June 2006 obliging municipalities to solve their stray dogs problem by means of catch, neuter, vaccinate and return. Most of the authorities don’t comply with the law and in the rare case that they do, it is not done in the right way. Animals that are caught are not fed, are not neutered professionally and are afterwards dumped in desolated places to starve of hunger and thirst, instead of being released in their original territory again.

There also appears to be misconceptions within the Islamic world regarding dogs - ie they are dirty. The Koran in fact says " All the beasts that roam the earth and all the birds that wing their flight are but communities like your own. We have left out nothing in the Book. They shall all be gathered before their Lord." AYAT (verse in the Koran) 6:38.

There would seem to be therefore, a real ignorance about dogs amongst Turks and I think the only way to change this is through education and communication. There are animal rights organisations active in Turkey but they're a drop in the ocean and are viewed with some suspicion.

I know I've said nothing in this post that TLF dog lovers in particular don't already know - here are some links to organisations active in Turkey that are trying to stop these poisonings;

Abolitionist-Online - A Voice for Animal Rights

WAG - Welfare for Animals Global - Turkey

SASAS (STRAY ANIMALS SAVE AND ALIVE SOCIETY)
2011 Sok.No:8/5 Bostanli 35540 Karsiyaka, Izmir, Turkey
Phone and Fax:0-232-3367763
0-532-4162777

There are probably many more local ones that are not on the web and I think that is the way forward as even the law is ignored or given lip service.

The EU don't really want to get involved either as they say it's a local issue.

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Animals that are caught are not fed, are not neutered professionally and are afterwards dumped in desolated places to starve of hunger and thirst, instead of being released in their original territory again.

A bit of a generalisation there mate.

The Fethiye Friends of Animals operate an Animal Shelter and a Neuter & Return programme with the support of the local council. They've done a huge amount to improve animal welfare in the Fethiye area in the last few years.

There's an article, which I helped to write, about their programme in the Fethiye Times at

Fethiye Friends of Animals Association - The Hard Work Continues - Fethiye Times

Harem

I've cliqued
I think that the Fethiye Animal Sanctuary should be used as an example to many other councils in this country of the way it can and should be done.

The most terrible thing about the poisoning of Jan and Atilla's dogs is that they were not street roamers - someone must have put the poison into the garden.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
A bit of a generalisation there mate.

The Fethiye Friends of Animals operate an Animal Shelter and a Neuter & Return programme with the support of the local council. They've done a huge amount to improve animal welfare in the Fethiye area in the last few years.

There's an article, which I helped to write, about their programme in the Fethiye Times at

Fethiye Friends of Animals Association - The Hard Work Continues - Fethiye Times

I did say 'most of the authorities' which would tend to suggest not all.

Well read Mr Moderator :77wu:

C

I had my beloved first dobbie die from poisoning. Where did I live - Ally Pally, North London. My vet saw 8 dogs in 3 days. They all died. We never got to the bottom of it. I did not even know where he ate the stuff.... so it does not just happen in Turkey.
However it has taught me a lesson. I never let my dogs eat something they shouldn't (hard to do sometimes) and I never let them drink from puddles. Water can be laced with chemicals.
It is the worse thing to see... I still cry when I think of his sad, sad end....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom