Dogs poisoned in Datca
Friends of mine live in Hizrasar, out in the back of beyond, well away from the village and with no neighbours. Last night their dog was poisoned - he was only out of their sight for about 5 minutes. Luckily they were able to get him to the vet in time; he is a very, very large dog and the vet said that this helped him pull through. He's still poorly but will hopefully make a full recovery.

The consensus is that it was probably put down in an adjoining field for the wild pigs which are a real nuisance to the farmers at this time of the year. This happens regularly in this area and people going out there to walk their dogs need to be aware of the danger and keep them on the lead - which defeats the object of the exercise somewhat!

This morning there was a dead dog on the beach below Ozbel, at the bottom of the steps - also poisoned - and I understand another dog died as well in the same area.

kaplumba

Dogs poisoned in Datca
That beach is by my house. This is total stupidity as this is the time when there are many families with little children in that area. What if one of them comes across the poison?

Dogs poisoned in Datca
The poison is usually put in meat which the animals eat so I don't think that it's too much threat to children, but I agree with you Jane - totally stupid. I heard one comment, from a Turk, that the Turkish visitors don't like dogs going on the beach and that's why it was done. I keep my dog on the lead all the time now that Datca is full of Turkish tourists, and take her for a swim very early in the morning. However even on the lead the little b****r still scavenges and I don't always see; it's a real worry.

carolk

R.I.P
Dogs poisoned in Datca
The poison is usually put in meat which the animals eat so I don't think that it's too much threat to children, but I agree with you Jane - totally stupid. I heard one comment, from a Turk, that the Turkish visitors don't like dogs going on the beach and that's why it was done. I keep my dog on the lead all the time now that Datca is full of Turkish tourists, and take her for a swim very early in the morning. However even on the lead the little b****r still scavenges and I don't always see; it's a real worry.

I agree Yildez. My dog is always on the lead and he still scavenges albeit well fed, you just cant seem to stop them!! I am forever taking things out of his mouth. He even tries to eat the vine leave with rice in them, I gave him one in the house (from a neighbour) and he wont touch them!! Its a real worry.

Dogs poisoned in Datca
When we were out recently in datca in ozbel, a lovely tan dog came around for the first 5 days and then just disappeared which is so unlike them so I hoped that he had not come to the horrible end of being poisoned!I am a real dog lover and hate the thought of it.By the way Yildez ona different subject, Emerald Lady and I called last sat but unfortunately you were out, but will call next time I am out, Arlene still there so she may try again.
The street dogs that I have met are more than laid back and friendly.

Dogs poisoned in Datca
Hi

Sorry I missed you - my landlady told me that 2 ladies had called but I couldn't think whi it could be! Do try again - would you like me to PM my telephone number?

Linda

Dogs poisoned in Datca
When we were out recently in datca in ozbel, a lovely tan dog came around for the first 5 days and then just disappeared which is so unlike them so I hoped that he had not come to the horrible end of being poisoned!I am a real dog lover and hate the thought of it.By the way Yildez ona different subject, Emerald Lady and I called last sat but unfortunately you were out, but will call next time I am out, Arlene still there so she may try again.
The street dogs that I have met are more than laid back and friendly.

Hi

Sorry I missed you - my landlady told me 2 ladies had called to see me but I couldn't work out who it was! Do call again - would you like me to PM my Cep number?

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dogs poisoned in Datca
This is terrible, unfortunately these poor creatures are always affected by these peoples stupidity. Most of the time its done on purpose and they don't care how many innocent dogs die.

Richnkim

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Dogs poisoned in Datca
There are live traps available for wild pigs, they are a huge problem in Texas and some other states also.

Biker bob

Dogs poisoned in Datca
Yesterday 2 more dogs were poisoned. One, belonging to an English resident, was treated by the vet but is still very ill, the other was a street dog which died. This happened on the beach near Ozbel again; as I said in an earlier post summer visitors with houses there don't like the dogs going on the beach, and apparently there are quite a few street dogs in the area.

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Dogs poisoned in Datca
This is obviously a widespread problem. Back in March a dog was poisoned here in Eski Datca - we managed to get him to the vet in time - we reported it to the police who advised it is an offence but what could they do?! Last week a privately owned, well cared for dog was poisoned and died - the reason, because her puppies were making too much noise??? It seems our pets are not even safe on their own property.

I certainly appreciate that some street dogs can be a problem, and any dog barking through the night is a nuisance - how about we poison the owners who allow it to happen and people that dumped them in the first place??!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom