• I like both

Votes: 71 43.0%
  • I like neither

Votes: 25 15.2%

• Total voters

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Dogs, cats, both or neither
I love all animals, we have a dog Monty 9 years old, who we adore and a Cockatiel (be careful) called Caspar he'll be 19 soon, he is a character, people say to me "oh he's only a bird", but when we go away he stays with our friend who has a Parrot, and when we go to pick him up and he hears my voice he goes mad, you have to see him to believe it. At the moment our neighbours are away and we're looking after their Cat Tinx and their Rabbit Bailey, and enjoying every minute as I love to watch and learn how each animals behaviour is different. Our dog is fed fresh chicken thighs and Iams dry food every day and Tinx is enjoying having her pouches with some fresh chicken thrown in, I checked with her owner before they went and he said, of course she likes chicken, lol. Bailey is enjoying Romaine Lettuce leaves.

I love to watch cats play, but they make my eyes itch. I have had both cats & dogs (small ones) in the past.

judi

Is the sun shining?
Cats, dogs, horses, guinea pigs ....love 'um all but not too good with spiders! Eurghh!

gizmo

Adore them all cept for earwigs! AAaaagh! my 1 pet hate. I love cats in particular - have four at the moment - 3 girls+1 boy. Gizmo, Angel, Dillon and the baby Dyson (shes a hoover and thus the name)They are supposed to be good for the blood pressure and stress if you sit them on your lap (not all at the same time) and stroke them.

My lovely dog - Paddy - passed away in February this year - heartbroken - he was a large dalmatian and had a wonderful personality. I see him now jumping from cloud to cloud in the sky - he used to love to run on the beach - the freedom he had with his ears flapping in the wind. I miss him so much but I know that he is now at peace.

Gizzo

Reactions: Mag

nanamo

I have always had pets - as a child i had a cat named Candy and as soon as I got my own home I filled it with pets. I've had hampsters, rabbits, tortoises, fish, guinea pigs, dogs, budgies, garter snakes and even a tarantula. I think a house is not a home without pets, the unconditional love they give you repays a thousand fold the costs and work involved. At the moment we have 5 cats and two fishes but I am so looking forward to having a dog when we move to Turkey (we cant have one where we live now). I intend to devote my spare time and energy to helping the stray animals in Turkey when we do finally move there but in the mean time this family have been busy fund raising to help provide medication and food in the winter and our two kids alone have raised enough money to spay several street dogs. I can not imagine a house that I live in to be animal free. Molly

Maidmarion

I used to have a cat named Gizmo also. I would have a housefull if I could but then I couldnt keep going to Turkey could I?

nanamo

I'd be interested to see how many people would help the animals if they knew how to. Molly

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Its a shame we are unable to sit around a table and throw ideas back & forth . First let me get the bad part out of the way . If any dog or cat is realy sick or injured and has no owner then it Should be put to sleep to end its pain and suffering . We have to do this with our own beloved pets its our duty to them . In Hisoronu i saw a young cat with its back legs paralised draging itself along . I just cried but it was wild and i just couldn't catch it . I still think about it . We have many animal lovers on here . We all have a computer and i expect a printer . So many of us could print up some leaflets on dog controle And give talks on animals to the young people of Turkey . Offer an incentive Like a quiz with prizes for those who get the most correct answers . { not many ! } The older generation won't listen so we should target the young . Start with rabbits . Then cats and Finaly dogs . Yes i'd leave them untill last Because they are told dogs are Dangerous . So slowly Slowly . Many of us have our favorite bars ect . They may be willing to have a quiz night at 1 lira per entry form To go towards spaying . Raffles are also good and could help the dog shelters . Theres a lot we could do . If we all pulled in the same direction instead of different ways . Diane

Last edited:

Mag

Firstly I am a cat lover...have an 18 year old moggie who is like a child and a one year old tomcat who my daughter treasures...I can take or leave dogs..dont like them in the house and have'nt got a big enough garden to keep one..but hate to see any animal neglected

nanamo

Sunny Seasider, what I'm trying to say is I'm sure a lot of holiday makers would help the animals if they knew how to. I'm sure many would donate money if there was a central account to deposit money into. This money could be used by pet owners who cannot afford to spay their animals. Maybe they could obtain a voucher, get their pet neutered and then hand the voucher to the vet who could then reclaim the cost from the fund. Lots of people return from Turkey talking about the animals and how they felt helpless, if they had a chance to help I'm sure many would. Molly

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Thank you Molly, now I know what you mean. Well, I for one would willingly make a donation to a central fund, if one could be set up and we were given regular newsletters etc as to where the accounts were being spent. As Pineapple1 (Diane) has pointed out in her post, we all of us have a computer and printer and it just need someone with the wherewithall to start it. Pineaplle has also mentioned this before too.

Also Sue (Luckycat) does a huge amount for the animals in Yalikavak, and has a pet fund box in the restaurant for donations, but as she is doing it mostly on her own, I only wish I was there more and could help drum up more funds.

We also need to keep in mind, as has been said many times the Turks need educating that dogs are not dirty vermin to be kept outside or left abandoned, and the quiz and talks Diane are great ideas. The biggest hurdle is where do we all start and I am willing to help in any way I can, albeit remotely, but the power of the internet can get messages to each other etc.

Lesley

Last edited:

nanamo

We need photos of homeless animals printed on handouts advising of the bank account number. All the animals could be named after currentcy i.e. Cash, Penny, Dollar, Copper - returning holidaymakes could display the poster on their fridge and donate whenever their heartstrings go ping. Molly

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
What we are talking about here is . Something along the lines of the PDSA . Has any of us tried to find out if theres a Charity that helps dogs abroad ? Then a few of us could become reprecentatives of that kind of Charity . Lets see what we can find . Diane

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Good point for a starter Diane, but in my opinion, we could take what's out there, and condition it to Turkey's needs. A stumbling block could be for charities already there is we are not in the EU and this may be EU regulated, I'm just drawing straws and thinking out of my arse hehe probably at this moment. But I would want it to be solely for Turkey. I remember Spain had this same problem when we first went there 25 years ago, and that isn't the same there now, so lets see what we can do. But you are quite right slowly, slowly.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
So ok lets find out how Spain sorted out thier problem and apply it to Turkey . Also check out the law of this idea . And i've been thinking = Everyone who owns an apt on a sitesi Could have a £5 or £10 a year fee to help with the dog problem . As it affects them and some grumble about the dogs . A case of put up or shut up in my opinion !!! Its not even the price of a Mc donalds = Yuk . Diane

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
There are already schemes and shelters in place that would appreciate funding no doubt. There are individuals also doing what they can but not coordinated.

My husband read on the Yalikavak council website the Turks are trying to raise awareness about people who come from the cities, buy a puppy then kick it into the street end of summer. I was pleased to hear that efforts are being made to make these people realise. Small steps but in the right direction.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom