immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Dog Worms
And just remember that the next time it licks it's bottom and then licks your face.

Ian

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Dog Worms
I make sure Monty (dog) is wormed on a regular basis. It must be so irritatating for them as they chew at their back end trying to relieve the discomfort that worms must give them.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Dog Worms
Also the way they blend in with the dirt.When the tapeworm releases a segment and exits out of the dogs butt.it has the color of a yellowy white,and in a few minutes it shrinks and hardens to blend in with the ground.Dogs tend to nuzzle the ground and pick up these dormant eggs with their noses.

Once the egg is inside the animal, it turns into a cyst[l think]and the whole cycle starts again.Always sweep and vacuum on a daily basis if there are kids around.Also if you have a partner that doesn't care if his sandwich lands on the ground and picks it up and eats it.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Dog Worms
Also the way they blend in with the dirt.When the tapeworm releases a segment and exits out of the dogs butt.it has the color of a yellowy white,and in a few minutes it shrinks and hardens to blend in with the ground.Dogs tend to nuzzle the ground and pick up these dormant eggs with their noses.

Once the egg is inside the animal, it turns into a cyst[l think]and the whole cycle starts again.Always sweep and vacuum on a daily basis if there are kids around.Also if you have a partner that doesn't care if his sandwich lands on the ground and picks it up and eats it.

OOOOOO Bob, I've just enjoyed me full english breakfast, lol. One of my black puddings rings rolled off the grill this morning, the seagulls enjoyed it. Seriously I'm very careful too in the home.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog Worms
While this is very informative Its bound to set the anti off dog brigade again !

What with them and the anti smokeing brigade I think i'll turn into a Recluse ...Diane

DAVIDO

Dog Worms
it always baffles me how owners let them lick round their face and mouth. many years ago my aunt , a dog lover did this with a stray. many years past and my aunt started having fits and forgetting things etc. not long after she died, a postmortom revealed that a ringworm i believe had entered her mouth and into bloodstream, and eventually travelled to her brain, from a dog that was affected. it took quite a few years to occur. we know that dogs sniff all kind of undesirable things and then people kiss them . crazy!!!

davido

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog Worms
Canine worms

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roundworms
Hookworms
Tapeworms
Whipworms
Prevention

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
Dogs are victims of several internal parasites frequently referred to as worms. The most common are the roundworms that infest most puppies at some time in their young lives and tapeworms that can be a big problem when flea infestations are high.

Evidence of roundworms and tapeworms can be seen without the aid of a microscope, but other worms are not so easily diagnosed. Occasionally adult whipworms can be seen in the stool when the infestation has already caused some debilitation or weight loss in the dog.

Early diagnosis of the presence and species of intestinal parasite is important, for not all worms respond to the same treatment. Therefore, stool samples should be taken to the veterinarian for microscopic examination if worms are suspected. Many veterinarians include the stool check as part of the annual health examination.

Most worm infestations cause any or all of these symptoms: diarrhea, perhaps with blood in the stool; weight loss; dry hair; general poor appearance; and vomiting, perhaps with worms in the vomitus. However, some infestations cause few or no symptoms; in fact some worm eggs or larvae can be dormant in the dog's body and activated only in times of stress, or in the case of roundworms, until the latter stages of pregnancy, when they activate and infest the soon-to-be-born puppies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roundworms
Roundworms are active in the intestines of puppies, often causing a pot-bellied appearance and poor growth. The worms may be seen in vomit or stool; a severe infestation can cause death by intestinal blockage.

This worm can grow to seven inches in length. Females can produce 200 thousand eggs in a day, eggs that are protected by a hard shell and can exist in the soil for years. Dogs become infected by ingesting worm eggs from contaminated soil. The eggs hatch in the intestine and the resulting larva are carried to the lungs by the bloodstream.

The larva then crawls up the windpipe and gets swallowed, often causing the pup to cough or gag. Once the larvae return to the intestine, they grow into adults.

Roundworms do not typically infest adults. However, as mentioned above, the larvae can encyst in body tissue of adult bitches and activate during the last stages of pregnancy to infest puppies. Worming the bitch has no effect on the encysted larvae and cannot prevent the worms from infecting the puppies.

Although roundworms can be treated with an over-the-counter wormer found in pet stores, a veterinarian is the best source of information and medication to deal with intestinal parasites. Dewormers are poisonous to the worms and can make the dog sick, especially if not used in proper dosage.

Hookworms
These are small, thin worms that fasten to the wall of the small intestine and suck blood. Dogs get hookworm if they come in contact with the larvae in contaminated soil. As with roundworms, the hookworm larvae becomes an adult in the intestine. The pups can contract hookworms in the uterus and the dam can infest the pups through her milk.

A severe hookworm infestation can kill puppies, but chronic hookworm infection is usually not a problem in the older dog. When it does occur, the signs include diarrhea, weight loss, anemia, and progressive weakness. Diagnosis is made by examining the feces for eggs under a microscope.

Tapeworms
Another small intestine parasite, the tapeworm is transmitted to dogs who ingest fleas or who hunt and eat wildlife infested with tapeworms or fleas. The dog sheds segments of the tapeworm containing the eggs in its feces. These segments are flat and move about shortly after excretion. They look like grains of rice when dried and can be found either in the dog's stool or stuck to the hair around his anus. Tapeworms cannot be killed by the typical over-the-counter wormer; see the veterinarian for appropriate treatment.

Whipworms
Adult whipworms look like pieces of thread with one end enlarged. They live in the cecum, the first section of the dog's large intestine. Infestations are usually light, so an examination of feces may not reveal the presence of eggs. Several checks may be necessary before a definitive diagnosis can be made.

Prevention
Several worms that infect and reinfect dogs can also infect humans, so treatment and eradication of the worms in the environment are important. Remove dog feces from back yards at least weekly, use appropriate vermicides under veterinary supervision, and have the dog's feces checked frequently in persistent cases. Do not mix wormers and do not use any wormer if your dog is currently taking any other medication, including heartworm preventative, without consulting the veterinarian.

When walking the dog in a neighborhood or park, remove all feces so that the dog does not contribute to contamination of soil away from home as well.

Dogs that are in generally good condition are not threatened by worm infestations and may not even show symptoms. However, it's a good idea to keep the dog as worm-free as possible so that if disease or stress do take a toll, you're not fighting worms in a sick dog

I Hope this clarifies all you need to know about worms . The roundorm egg can lay on the ground Dormant for 5yrs ...It can cause blindness in Humans But if you worm dogs every 2/3 months your dog should be ok . All bitches carry the worm eggs for life and pass them to puppies But Adult males do not carry the egg But can pick it up ...... Now i dont feel like Lunch .
May i say i love my dogs dearly . But never allow them to
Lick plates drink from cups or lick my mouth My dogs
won't go near a plate or cup I trained them not too !!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom