jakebeak

Dog shelter and street dogs
Hi there, just wondered if it's true that the funding has been cut for the stray dogs in Didim and if this means the shelter can continue as before? I read a doom laden story in Voices and it made me sad. I'm sure someone out there knows what's happening and can tell me more about it.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Yes the Voices story is true. The council do not have the money to pay the vet or the dog catcher. They are still paying the shelter worker (at the moment) and the vet is 'volunteering' his services, but we are currently reliant on the public to bring in dogs for neutering - although I have heard that the Zabita are picking up the odd dog or two. :help:

The really awful thing is that there is no-one to collect injured dogs to bring them to the shelter. For example, I am currently fostering a 5 month old purebred Kangal puppy who had been hit by a car, her hip had been dislocated, her leg had been broken under the ball joint and she had a break in her pelvis. When the vet operated, he said it looked as though her injuries had happened a month ago. Can you imagine the pain? :19:

Also now that un-neutered dogs are not being collected and we are still getting unwanted dogs dumped in Didim from outside areas, I can see all our hard work starting to go down the drain.... :wow:

But I obviously understand that the council have spent a fortune on roads etc and as they are hugely in debt, spending on 'neuter & return' is way down on their list of priorities.

So sponsors who wish to pay for the services of the vet and the dog catcher, please form an orderly queue.... (I wish!)

Last edited:

jakebeak

Hi Valian, thanks for replying to me. It's a really sad state of affairs and I read that Ali is giving his skills for free now. We have got such a wonderful dog from the shelter. We were very impressed with how well it's run and how clean all the pens are. I really hope that it will keep going and people will rally round and try to keep they guy on who works there. I can understand why funds are allocated elsewhere and there must be a list as long as your arm of other things that the Council has to provide for. Let's hope the shelter can survive.

nanamo

I would help if i knew where to send a donation. I asked the mods a while ago to set up a donation site on the forum. There are people I know who will help by giving donations but have no where to send it. We've been here before, it all needs coordinating, I'm as helpless as the rest, I have good intentions but dont know where to start. I so want to help the animals but dont know were to go to do it. Molly.

I would help if i knew where to send a donation. I asked the mods a while ago to set up a donation site on the forum. There are people I know who will help by giving donations but have no where to send it. We've been here before, it all needs coordinating, I'm as helpless as the rest, I have good intentions but dont know where to start. I so want to help the animals but dont know were to go to do it. Molly.

I am sure val will get back to you regarding donations, She does a lot for/at the shelter. Steve

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Hi Molly and all

Donations can be made via PayPal to: didimdogshelter@gmail.com

Donations are mainly spent on dog & puppy food, wormers, bowls, tick/flea treatment, bleach, blankets etc etc, although occasionally, if an injured dog comes in who we think we may be able to rehome, I will pay for it to be operated on by the Vet at a heavily discounted rate. All donations are wisely spent and none wasted. Importantly, none is spent on admin or expenses.

I am very grateful for our loyal band of shelter volunteers - helping out in the blazing sunshine or horizontal rain - through the good times and the bad - there are some lovely people living here. :biggrin:

Also as far as donations are concerned, I have a separate account in the UK which is used for Direct Debits. Just a few pounds a month makes such a difference to us. Please either PM or email me if you would like the details.

Visitors to the shelter are always welcome - even if its just to puppy cuddle! :hug:

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
.....and of course huge thanks to our loyal band of Shelter supporters, who donate goods and cash and when over here on holiday, come to help out. Especially those who visit on a Sunday (the day off for the shelter worker) and find themselves being given a shovel to muck out the puppy pens - eh Judi? :5:

Many thanks too to Pat (Willip) for her bag of goodies - look forward to seeing you in October Pat. :9:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
VAL - i really wish I could help you but I have a problem here at the moment with hardly any funds in our Street Animal Box - not so many folks around this year and not so much spare cash - I am holding a raffle on Friday night during my Music Night so hopefully I will raise enough to pay vets bills and some spare for winter food for Yalikavaks four leggers !
I am really sorry to hear about the shelter because I know the good work you do in Didim - please dont give up - things hopefully will get better x
:36329ht5b

It has been noticed over the past few months that there has been a gradual decline in the numbers of street dogs being collected by the belediye for neuter and release,and now there is the steady increase in the numbers of puppies being taken to the shelter.
Also the numbers of un-neutered dogs dumped in the council yard has increased during the last couple of weeks.
It seems at present the majority of the dogs at the shelter are ones whose owners have left them there due to them returning home-many to UK.Many of these would find it very difficult to adapt to life as a street dog after living in a home.
All these dogs want is kindness,shelter and food-hich they do get at the shelter during their stay.............but it costs money to give this,and I hope the belediye do continue to fund the shelter and neuter/release programme in the future.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom