RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dog deaths in Dalyan
Around 2 weeks ago there was a message on the loudspeaker in Dalyan that many poor dogs were poisoned and for any witnesses to come forward. We heard the amount was near 30 - then a few days ago heard the amount was actually near 50.
This is such a tragic sad thing to have happened to many innoncent dogs - lots of them were even owned by people, whoever is responsible is cruel and
hasn't got a heart. (maybe authorities)
Does anyone in Dalyan have any update info on this or hear anything different?

Richnkim

Last edited:

ZiaCa'

Dog deaths in Dalyan
About 10 days ago a friend told me she had heard that around 30 dogs had been poisoned with strichnine that had been put in fish heads...

How cruel can people be.

Unfortunately, a couple of dogs have also been run over due to careless/reckless driving.

melody

Dog deaths in Dalyan
I couldn't believe this is not right and fare. They have a life too. I love dogs they are the most loyal things. Somebody should do something.

Dog deaths in Dalyan
We have the same problem here in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus. Every week we here the same problem and unfortunately the dogs usually belong to ex-pats as the locals tend to tie the dogs up and not take them for walks as we do.

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dog deaths in Dalyan
Also forgot to mention cats were also among the dead.
Our friends suspect their cat got some poison as he was very ill and nearly died now he has sight problems.

We know what you mean Carla about the reckless driving. We see drivers going very fast and not slowing down if dogs/cats are in the road they just hope they will move out the way. They just get so close and then decide to brake and just miss them by an inch - its terrible.

Richnkim

Last edited:
Dog deaths in Dalyan
There is a petition if anyone wants to sign it. Captain June has it and will be taking it to the Mayor. It is asking that he orders a criminal investigation in to the matter. Anyone interested can come along to a meeting at 4pm sunday Dalyan Central Park Hotel. Up the side of the small shop on Ataturk Caddesi (New Otraca Rd) on the left before you reach the island.

dalyansteve

Dog deaths in Dalyan
Sorry Steph, I can't seem to place the Dalyan Central Hotel!!! Did it have another name and someone has decided to change it or is it a new one that I have not noticed yet???

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dog deaths in Dalyan
Sorry Steph, I can't seem to place the Dalyan Central Hotel!!! Did it have another name and someone has decided to change it or is it a new one that I have not noticed yet???

Steve,

its next door to Hotel Şahin and Manzara Villas.

richnkim

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Dog deaths in Dalyan
Around 2 weeks ago there was a message on the loudspeaker in Dalyan that many poor dogs were poisoned and for any witnesses to come forward. We heard the amount was near 30 - then a few days ago heard the amount was actually near 50.
This is such a tragic sad thing to have happened to many innoncent dogs - lots of them were even owned by people, whoever is responsible is cruel and
hasn't got a heart. (maybe authorities)
Does anyone in Dalyan have any update info on this or hear anything different?

Richnkim

such a shame!

PASH

Dog deaths in Dalyan
That is truly awful, i hope the person(s) responsible are caught and jailed. Your petition sounds a great idea, its time the autorities woke up to this barbaric practice. If they want to join the EU, they really must get their acts together, this is just not tolerated in a civilised society.

Dog deaths in Dalyan
Another sad episode thisevening. My friend was walking her dogs in the field opposite her house in Okular and witnesses her turkish neighbour shoot her english neighbours dog as it ran along the road infront of her house. I believe the dog was wounded and managed to run home, but not sure yet how serious it was. It is so scary, if it had been a few seconds later my friend could have been in the line of fire.

dalyansteve

Dog deaths in Dalyan
Look there are laws in Turkey designed to protect cats and dogs from this sort of behavior, if you witness something like a dog being shot it must be reported to the police or gendarme. I also think you will find that if said dog is of the type that kills or worries livestock, the livestock owner is in his rights to shoot said dog. The responsibility is on the owner of the dog to train it properly and not let it wander off. I think the law says that all pet dogs should be properly cared for and kept on a lead outside your own garden. OK, I know that in Dalyan, for example, the owners just let their dogs roam the streets and I don't know what the answer is to the problem. There is a dog that lives outside our gate, it is not mine as I am allergic to dogs, but I feed it when I can and would hate for it to be poisoned or misstreated. The owner is Turkish and sometimes lives next door for about 4 months of the year, it is irresponsible and perhaps the new petition will bring about some good.

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dog deaths in Dalyan
How awful Stephdenver for your friend to witness such a terrible thing.
We have heard this before that out in the farm places/more rural areas like Okcular they are not afraid to use a gun on a dog.
Its meant to be if the dog is causing trouble to their cows, goats, chickens etc... but we have heard about people threatning to shoot a dog just because it keeps coming on their land. (they like to have the power)
This is why our dog is always on a lead when we walk him its just not safe for him not to be - we either worry about him eating poison or him running off and getting into the wrong peoples hands.
Hope the dog makes a full recovery.

Richnkim

Last edited:
Dog deaths in Dalyan
As a serious animal lover myself it is obviously sad to see any animal have suffering inflicted upon it. However I must agree that the number of people who allow their dogs to wander around freely, especially in country areas, are being totally and utterly irresponsible and whilst claiming to love animals are not showing that love in their irresponsible actions. Many are saying "We love our dogs" but on the other hand are leaving them for hours and days on end wandering around freely. This is not love, this is selfishness. I know for certain that in this country lane two Turkish neighbours have lost many,many chickens at the hands of these wandering dogs, who, hungry and wandering are doing what comes naturally - killing for food. Before our English emotions for our pet dogs takes over, we must remember that the people who are losing their livestock rely on them for food as many cannot afford the Western luxury of bobbing into Sainsburys (or Migros here) for their eggs and chicken breasts. Hopefully this incident will serve as a warning to fellow animal lovers that if you have a dog, especially in a country area, it is your responsibility to look after it and not leave it to its own devices wandering around looking for hours at a time whilst you are oblivious to its whereabouts or hunger for live food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dog deaths in Dalyan
I agree that people have the right to protect their land and live stock, and I also agree that people should be responsible for their own dogs. I do not however believe that people have the right to use fire arms on a public road in a public place.So if my friend had been accidentaly shot would it be her fault for walking infront of a stray bullet ?

Dog deaths in Dalyan
Maybe more time and effort should be concentrated on educating irresponsible dog owners (who appear to think that rescuing a dog simply means dumping it in another part of town and leaving it to fend for itself )rather than worrying about what would have happened if your friend had been a few seconds earlier/later, been in the direct line of fire, been unlucky,not been seen by the farmer (most unlikely if he could see a dog and not a human), been shot, been injured, worst still being killed etc etc., NONE of which actually happened. I have seen dozens of livestock slaughtered by stray dogs but can't recall any villagers hit by stray bullets. Remember, there would be no bullets fired if stray dogs (or rescued dogs imitating strays) were properly looked after. Its all about taking ownership. This debate wouldnt be happening if the dog owner looked after his dog. Maybe your friend should be taking the matter up with him and telling him her worries about being shot because of his neglect.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Dog deaths in Dalyan
People should not be using firearms in public places, its completly wrong. The main problem here also is many turkish people underestimate dogs and consider them to be worth nothing so if they shoot 1 dog - to them its no big deal.
We think people should look after their dogs all the time BUT the fact still remains that people should not be using firearms in public places.
How do we even know this dog was eating their livestock and not simply just passing by?

Richnkim

Dog deaths in Dalyan
' educating irresponsible dog owners' ?

I think Education about animals , pets is greatly needed in this country. Not just for dog owners but to start with animal education in schools. I dont think as children they ever have pets or are educated about the wonderful animals that God has provided. They are quick to use their religion about not even killing a fly, but as usual they bend according to their needs.

My dog was poisoned last year on the beach so this is a very sore subject to me. It really makes my skin boil at the ignorance of these people.

Will it change.... maybe in time many years but for now, the same thing will keep happening year after year.... a pessimistic view, but it cant be helped.

K

Dog deaths in Dalyan
We are not talking about main street dalyan here when you talk about public places. We are talking about country lanes, wide open fields and the odd houses scattered around. Maybe the owners of this dog had been warned about its behaviour, maybe they chose to ignore that warning, maybe this dog had been caught killing livestock before. Maybe Stephdenvers friend may enlighten her and you to the background of this shooting. However to assume that the dog just happened to be passing by the area and was hit by a mad sniper is somewhat unlikely. I refer you back to my original point, stop looking for scapegoats to blame for irresponsible dog owners and trying to make it into a dramatic "people could have been killed and are lucky to be alive" scare story. We are talking country life in rural Turkey and for every Turk who you allege shoots dogs because they are worthless and passing by (although in four years here I have never see that happen) there are hundreds of others protecting their livelihoods and trying to feed themselves and have just as good morals and beliefs as people sitting in judgement on the Turkish bad guys and favouring the animal loving bullet dodging Brits. If the farmer in question has been shooting willy nilly at innocent passing by dogs (which I doubt), and allegedly endangering human life I am sure he will have been visited by the jandarma and charged accordingly. Maybe other TLF members will keep us updated on that.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom