Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerpaul

bootneck
dog crate
does the pet shop in didim sell dog crates,or cages for keeping your dog in whilst going out for safety and so he wont rip things up as hes a chewer

carolk

R.I.P
dog crate
Yes Paul they do. Various sizes. My friend bought a fairly large one a couple of days ago, it was 350tl. They are quite expensive - but if you have a chewer :help: !!!! lol. Most have a good choice.

boxerpaul

bootneck
dog crate
just for the record my dog is a collie hes leeroy hes a rescue dog had him for 4 years,the cage is only till he gets used to his new surroundings,i cant let him run loose as he will get lost,have a lot to do residency etc unless your vlountering to pet sit as you seem so bothered by it,doing it this way is the safest and yes its because we love him dearly we are looking after him, he will spend not long in a cage,does that help you,perhaps you should look around mevishire and dolphin square,now theres dogs that need helping,thats some thing you could do.

claire1976

dog crate
Crates are invaluable with pups and older dogs, they must used correctly and not in terms of punishment or as a cage. My dogs loved their crates as they were used as dens and I often used to leave the door open for them to come and go as they pleased. They have kennels outside now but I always use a crate for travelling or safety with a young pup, chewing can be dangerous and its far kinder to use a crate when you are out than risk coming home to a dog poorly from chewing something it shouldn't.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
dog crate
Have you thought of getting a price at the local iron forge most will make up light weight items

martin

carolk

R.I.P
dog crate
Yes thats true, its not a punishment, its often for safety reasons. My dog doesn't need one but then, Ive had him from a pup. If you rescue a dog sometimes you can not get them out of bad habits. I tried rescuing a street dog who chewed wires, she chewed through the elec blanket wire, nearly killed herself and blew the whole house. Unfortunately she was poisoned by some tw*t as I couldn't keep her in the garden - she could get through the gate when she heard her other street dog friends!! She was most upset abut being kept in unlike my 'own' dog. She was a lovely little thing, she had an owner who had gone off to Germany for 3 months and left her. I and a neighbour fed her all winter. Very sad.

claire1976

dog crate
Don't get narky mate, I was only giving friendly advice that might have been a help to you.

If you cage your animal prepare to live with a 'caged' animal, its your problem not mine. I'm sure poor leeroy will soon get used to his surroundings from inside his cage. I'm not volunteering anything, I am busy too which is exactly why I can't give a dog the time it needs and deserves. You know collies are working dogs right and need to be kept busy too? You'd probably chew too if you were bored. Good luck.

I'm sorry but that is just tosh, 'caged animal'??! Come on. I've had dogs for years, 5 is the most dogs I've had, now I have 4. They are very well balanced and well behaved dogs despite most of them having appalling starts in life.
Crates (if used correctly) are an extremely safe and kind tool to use during training, although I would never confine a young or adult dog in one for more than a couple of hours.
You are right about Collie dogs, they are clever working breeds which require lots of mental and physical stimulation. I don't know the full details about Leeroy but I'm sure his owner has his best interests at heart.
As for the dog whisperer - great TV I admit but this man has no dog training qualifications and his methods are somewhat dubious. Many respected dogs trainers in the UK will tell you that they have seen an increase in behavioural problems as a result of trying to replicate Cesar's methods.

stevecarol

dog crate
(Caged Animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) What on earth is Crash Tester going on about, its plainly obvious to me that that paul only has his dog interest at heart, and as the the dog wisperer, you do realise that this is a tv programme and dog behaviour cannot be changed (just like that) as Tommy Cooper used to say.

Gin&Tonic

dog crate
I've always used what they call a puppy playpen, its the same as a cage but without a top and its just metal bars so they can see out, they're perfect for training, during the daytime the door is left open and they can go in and out when they like just at night they stay in there with the door closed.

If a dog has to be left on its own whether its in a cage or just in the house always make sure they can see outside, this will keep them calmer, they are much more likely to panic and chew things if they can hear noises but cant see what the problem is.

claire1976

dog crate
I'm not really bothered about what advice you may or may not have given this person before. I'm only interested in commenting on the things you have said about crates as I believe, from personal experience, that they are effective and useful if used correctly.
He came on here asking for advise on where to buy one - it was you who kicked off the debate which I feel qualified to talk about. I have been involved with dog training for many, many years and hold certificates in dog psychology so I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about!
If a dog is clearly unhappy or displays behavioural problems as a result of using a crate then it has been used in a completely inappropriate manner and therefore I would cease using one immediately - in fact this happened with a springer that I rescued. He was crated from an early age and spent far too long in one, as a result his legs grew bent and he was traumatised. In this instance during rehabilitating him I never used a crate, however he will go into one quite willingly now as he see's it as a safe haven rather than confinement and this is the difference. I could go on and on but I see no point, you've made your opinions already on whatever experience you have.
Cesar Milan is not qualified in dog psychology and using the old 'dogs are wolves' angle is outdated and an incorrect fact.
I am purely commenting here in support of boxerpaul who needs to use a crate - my comments are intended as polite and nothing more also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom