pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog attacks infant
Loved it , realy nice to watch . ...But dare i say with the right dog ???? ...Diane

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog attacks infant
Yes i saw that too . Both dog and baby in romper suits aww just warms your heart . Diane

Fastlady

Dog attacks infant
Am I the only person watching this video, thinking this is just another tragedy waiting to happen? Of course it's cute now - and who actually knows whether the pup was intentionally just going for the clothing or whether this was just accidental? Surely the pup was just a few inches away from actually grabbing the baby by it's foot??

arrian

R.I.P
Dog attacks infant
Am I the only person watching this video, thinking this is just another tragedy waiting to happen? Of course it's cute now - and who actually knows whether the pup was intentionally just going for the clothing or whether this was just accidental? Surely the pup was just a few inches away from actually grabbing the baby by it's foot??

no, you're not! i was shocked that anyone could find this amusing, in light of the recent discussion.

the next time, this "cute puppy" could be 12 months older, and unsupervised, and the outcome doesn't bear thinking about.

shame on you for finding it funny.

Martyn

Dog attacks infant
I'm no dog expert, I have had a couple of dogs myself, but i think there is nothing wrong there. The main problem seems to be not when a child is growing up with a dog but when one goes into the dogs domain i.e. their house/patch whatever you call it. My dog grew up with children and never had any malice at all with children. If one were to poke him in the eye, pull his tail or hair etc he would just go and hide away if it was bothering him. Yet if you needed protection he could also see off other dogs.

Just my tuppence.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Dog attacks infant
Wow, I am amazed. There are actually people here that think a puppy playing with a child is an accident waiting for a place to happen. That it's not ammusing to watch and I was even as much as shamed for thinking it was comical. These people with these thoughts can't be true animal lovers. If the reaction to this video is a true indication of how you feel about "PETS" then I am sure you would be the first in line to rid the world of them. BILLIONS...count the zeros.....of families have had incredible experiences with their pets and children and yet even when it's a damn puppy involved a few here think these animals should be terminated or kept in cages and not allowed to exist amongst us in society. I am aware that there are a very select few cases where dogs were involved in mauling or killing but be real people.....if your going to judge on these few cases then if you did the same to man kind where would we be? Most of the problem dogs in society are due to their owners, not the dog. Am I to believe that you feel any time a proven friendly dog is near a child that he is obviously going to attack....I will take my chances with almost any dog with my daughter then trust her in the arms of a "HUMAN" stranger, thank you.

Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog attacks infant
I read a story in one of my dog magazines . It was about a young mum born without arms . she married and had had a child of her own she owned a GSD , The dog used to pick up the baby and take the child to her when it heard baby crying . the child learned to walk holding onto the dog . the dog stopped the child climeing upstairs . and even took a bottle to the child when it was a toddler . This puppy will be the same with this kid . It was playing not attacting . Both these babies dog & child were enjoying themselves . in a way only the very young know how . And a adult was present to hold the video camera . they were not even left unatended . .I am in total agreement with SuperBogs .....Diane

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Dog attacks infant
Bob, most definitely agree that it is the human behaviour when the dog is a puppy that marks out how that dog will behave. We have a Lancashie Heeler who developed glaucoma at the age of 3 and had to have an eye removed and is blind in his remaining eye, we have no children so he has never been used to children around him, so when we have friends who come with young children we are very careful with him and introduce him slowly to the child to gain his trust and then he is fine, saying that I would never leave him alone, because as a pup he never had that contact, therefore he has never had that learned behaviour. We have friends with children and they play and enjoy their dog because they have become good friends from being so young.

Dog attacks infant
i dont think its wise to allow a puppy to learn that dragging a baby around the floor is acceptable..if you lookı the pup was growling and shaking the child..all funny..but sending out wrong messages..
when the puppy is bigger or becomes frightening to the baby the pup will be chastised ..and will really get mixed up.
ive been around dogs all my life and this kind of silly behaviour is not doing either the dog or the child any good.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Dog attacks infant
i dont think its wise to allow a puppy to learn that dragging a baby around the floor is acceptable..if you lookı the pup was growling and shaking the child..all funny..but sending out wrong messages..
when the puppy is bigger or becomes frightening to the baby the pup will be chastised ..and will really get mixed up.
ive been around dogs all my life and this kind of silly behaviour is not doing either the dog or the child any good.

A puppy playing with a child is wrong....is this what your saying Shirley?

Bob

Last edited:

claire1976

Dog attacks infant
A puppy playing with a child is wrong....is this what your saying Shirley?

Bob

In this instance I am inclined to agree with Shirley. This is a baby not a child and therefore it has no way of defending itself or indeed engaging in play.
I have been bought up with dogs and have 4 of my own, I am also actively involved in dog training and have dealt with some tricky dogs in the past with behavioural problems. I have a 7 year old son who plays with our dogs, he also trains with me so he has knowledge and respect and vice versa. I also have a 10 week old baby and when he is crawling there is absolutely no way I would condone any of my dogs behaving that way around him.
Play should involve 2 consenting parties in a controlled manner and tug of war games between young children and dogs should never be encouraged.
In this video the dog is instigating a tugging game and the baby has no choice - she cannot say no or nip/bite. Imagine the reverse scenario - dog is minding its own business and baby/child decides it wants to play, the dog gets tugged and pulled around and decides it doesn't want to play resulting in a growl/nip or worse a bite. Next thing you know the dog is on the front page of the papers and destroyed as being a 'dangerous' dog.
As adults we should always ensure that interaction between dogs and children is controlled and appropriate, unfortunately I don't see that in this video.

Dog attacks infant
hi bob i think claire has answered your question...
from my own experience of having dogs and other animals around when growing up and having bred working border collies on the farm i have a fairly good idea of animal behaviour.
my own kids loved playing with the pups and the dogs and cats we had and our dogs lived til they were 15 ..the cats also ,and they lived ok together just occasional spats.
But i remember my grandson when he was about four pestering one of the older dogs and annoying her she tried to avoid him ..she was shaking with nerves,and got under the table out of his way as she knew it would be wrong to snap at him ..but he persisted and went under the table , i told him to leave her alone and if Judy bit him it was his fault..he was really naughty and he wouldnt listen.... if the dog had nipped him whose fault would it have been?
however the video you seem to think is ok is really not ok...its giving mixed messagers to the pup who will mature faster than the baby, it was being encouraged to pull the baby around...would you let your baby be pulled about lke that....puppies have very sharp teeth.....

Fastlady

Dog attacks infant
I can see nothing wrong in encouraging interraction between children and dogs, and yes, the earlier the better. But this child was not interracting, as has been pointed out, it was being used as a toy by the pup, in the same way you would give a pup an old shoe or teddy bear for example. In my day we were encouraged to play with our pets, which meant throwing a ball or a stick - not using a baby as an old rag!

mintyk

Dog attacks infant
I really didn't think that the dog was a puppy! It looked a bit more of an older dog of a small breed.

I too have bred dogs, Englsih Springer Spaniels, wonderful dogs with families and children. I would never allow a pup or dog to behave like this with a small child. The dog was treating the child as all my pups and dogs have treated and played with a rag. It was not a rag.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Dog attacks infant
Yes, I am so sorry for missing the dogs intent to kill....I must be blind. I have had MANY dogs over the years and if they are not inbred and raised with love and care normally there isn't a problem. As a child our dog was a large male boxer....my parents would hold me upright as I rode around on his back.....he loved it. I have a veru large Collie/ Husky.....the kids in the neighbourhood would come over and ask her to come out to play...many were preschool...Sasha would jump up and take their winter hats so they would chase her....if it was attached to the jacket then the child would be drug around the yard on the backs laughing so hard they could hardly breathe......I didn't know my dog was obviously attacking these children...as mentioned before SHAME ON ME!!!!

Bob

Last edited:

claire1976

Dog attacks infant
Yes, I am so sorry for missing the dogs intent to kill....I must be blind. I have had MANY dogs over the years and if they are not inbred and raised with love and care normally there isn't a problem. As a child our dog was a large male boxer....my parents would hold me upright as I rode around on his back.....he loved it. I have a veru large Collie/ Husky.....the kids in the neighbourhood would come over and ask her to come out to play...many were preschool...Sasha would jump up and take their winter hats so they would chase her....if it was attached to the jacket then the child would be drug around the yard on the backs laughing so hard they could hardly breathe......I didn't know my dog was obviously attacking these children...as mentioned before SHAME ON ME!!!!

Bob

Bob I think you are over-reacting to some very valid comments made by myself and others. No-one but you has mentioned that the dog's intent was to kill. However it is clear, to me at least, that this was not a controlled situation involving play as it involves a baby, not a child. I have no doubt that you had good experiences playing with your dog as a child, as indeed I did and my 7 year old does now. However, as I said- this is a baby and it should never be placed in a position where it is vulnerable.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom