water

Dog Attack
Whilst out walking along Altinkum seafront on Saturday evening with my husband and our dog Honey (on a lead) A very large stray dog came off the beach and attacked Honey. It was terrifieing! Eric kicked it off and luckily it went away, poor Honey was screaming and bleeding, several Turkish people gathered around shocked at what had just happened and trying offer their help. As you can imagine we were very upset, I was in tears. We took her straight to the vets, she has 3 bite wounds which after sedating her he stitched.
I have reported it to the council, but not sure whether it will do any good, the vet even said that the council will not do anything. We know other dog owners here who will not take their dogs along the front because of the risk of attacks. Something should be done to get rid of these dangerous stray dogs, it's a bit bad when you can't walk your dog for fear of attacks. Honey loves a run along the beach and going in the sea, but dare'nt go there now.
Upset and angry Sue

janA

Dog Attack
we have the same problem in Akyaka we wont walk our two on the main beach, but if there is a dog causing problems like that they are rounded up and taken away to the local pound a couple of mile away.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Dog Attack
How awful !! I hope your ok and Honey is feeling better . I was walking my shih tzu and corgi last night when suddenly they were surrounded by 3 large GSD's and a collie . The shih tzu looked so tiny in the middle of them . The owners were driveing while the dogs followed the vechicle But this was in sheerwood forrest Nottinghamshire !!!!! You can buy a canister of Pet Correcter priced £9 46p it makes a whooshing noise thatdogs hate . I always carry it and used it last night . The dogs soon turned tail and ran away . If its not available in Turkey and you have friends comeing over maybe they could pick one up for you its available from vets and Pets at Home Stores Diane

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Dog Attack
I agree that something needs doing as I have witnessed a number of attacks and had packs of ferral or wild dogs chase my car on a number of occaisions.
The problem is what can be done ?

The locals will probably resort to poison if the council wont do anything.

martin

claire1976

Dog Attack
How awful !! I hope your ok and Honey is feeling better . I was walking my shih tzu and corgi last night when suddenly they were surrounded by 3 large GSD's and a collie . The shih tzu looked so tiny in the middle of them . The owners were driveing while the dogs followed the vechicle But this was in sheerwood forrest Nottinghamshire !!!!! You can buy a canister of Pet Correcter priced £9 46p it makes a whooshing noise thatdogs hate . I always carry it and used it last night . The dogs soon turned tail and ran away . If its not available in Turkey and you have friends comeing over maybe they could pick one up for you its available from vets and Pets at Home Stores Diane

The pet corrector is a great device, there is also another one called the Dog Stop made by Roger Mugford of the Company of Animals. It makes a high pitched squeal and will interupt dog fights or any bad behaviour. The only downside to these devices is that essentially they punish all the dogs including the one you are walking who isn't doing anything wrong! However, this is much better than your dog getting attacked. I would recommend the dog stop as it also works as a personal alarm and I always carry one when walking my dogs.

water

Dog Attack
Thank you for all your kind wishes. That pet corrector sound like a good idea, we go back to the UK soon for a visit, so we will bring one back with us. Think they would sell well here.
Sue

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Dog Attack
Blimey Sue, poor Honey is timid enough - she won't know what's hit her if you use one of those. She'll think that you are punishing HER as soon as another dog approches, talk about messing with her head! Better to see if you can find some sort of Mace spray/Pepper spray while in the UK.

water

Dog Attack
Maybe so Val, will have a look for pepper spary then. Just looking for anything to prevent this happening again.
Sue

Last edited:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Dog Attack
Thank you for all your kind wishes. That pet corrector sound like a good idea, we go back to the UK soon for a visit, so we will bring one back with us. Think they would sell well here.
Sue

So sorry to hear of this attack on your dog - a similar thing happened to Murphy about 5 weeks ago and he just WILL NOT walk past the place where it happened now
The thing is that although the cannister is a good idea it will also scare your own dog - also I don"t think it will be allowed on the aircraft !!
Get well soon Honey

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Dog Attack
Ever thought of making your own spray deterrant that dogs really detest.

Mixing some peppers with bitter apples and then dilute it so it can be sprayed onto the offending dog might work.
l can't garrantee it

Dog Attack
Sorry to hear of your dog being attacked,I enjoy walking but the street dogs make me too nervous to walk much on my own when it is cooler.

Dog Attack
Although i feel sorry for you regarding the dog attack'i would like to say i am surprised at some of the responses as all i got on this same topic last year by a.a members were as follows.

If dogs are attacking you or your dog when out walking i suggest you take a different route:

When suggesting some sort of cull for the reduction of dogs in a pack i was told they were here before the BRITS came so learn to live with them or go back to britain.

Also i said that it was sad to see these dogs starving in the winter so surely this was worthy of a cull only to be told that they have a process in place of neuter and release and will take time to work and the numbers will decrease as they die off from natural waste.

But that can never stop the street dogs forming packs as the turkish families come to the resort with smiling happy children as they have brought along with them a pet dog for the holiday but it will not be going back home with the family at the end,so the chain goes on.

And as i have said this problem is caused by holidaymakers who as i said bring the pups here and the do-gooders who stop the authorities doing what was natural for years to keep the numbers down.

The highlight of the holiday for two families in altinkum was the videoing of three dogs mating outside of charlies bar,

Maybe when these holidaymakers see the attacks or get attacked themselves then maybe the penny will drop and agree with stricter measures to allow people to have a happy holiday.

Maybe a survey to find out how many people are terrified of walking around where they know the dogs are.

Enough said

Dog Attack
Hi just to say that after posting this topic i have been locked out of a.a so it goes to show you can never express your feelings or enter into any kind of debate/
If this is so, how can it be called a forum as there is no freedom of speech all i did

:362jf:

was share all my responses from the a.a members,if this has upset anyone
on TLF then please bar me from the site.

Thankyou

Dog Attack
Not sure its fair to call a forum "crap"............its a forum for Altinkum and surrounding areas based members.
They do have a policy not to allow threads deteriorate into slanging matches/name calling etc and thats fair enough.
I imagine the topic was this same one on that forum,which besides informing people what has happened to Honey,is also a reminder about taking precautions when walking your pets.
Unfortunately,it always results in some people turning these topics into calls for mass culls etc,which is of no relevance to the post

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Dog Attack
Not sure its fair to call a forum "crap"............its a forum for Altinkum and surrounding areas based members.
They do have a policy not to allow threads deteriorate into slanging matches/name calling etc and thats fair enough.
I imagine the topic was this same one on that forum,which besides informing people what has happened to Honey,is also a reminder about taking precautions when walking your pets.
Unfortunately,it always results in some people turning these topics into calls for mass culls etc,which is of no relevance to the post

I for one see the relevance, as somebody who has sat on the fence regarding the emotive subject of a dog cull, these animals are not pets, they foul every where and still bite, lets remember they are a pack animal, They carry diseases that maybe passed onto whoever or whatever they bite, possibly including rabies.
Thankfully they attacked another dog and not a child !
Given all I have read on this thread and witnessed personaly, I would probably come off the fence and support a dog cull if it was the very very last resort

martin

Dog Attack
Thanks for a response to topic,

I too would go for a cull as a last resort,but what other solution to the biting of innocent people and the addition of puppies to the areas,maybe if they had to have all puppies tagged and licensed yearly.

Or maybe a few suggestions from the forum.

At least tlf never locked me out for having some input

Thanks as i say i am not looking to start wars over the dogs just putting my feelings across

Latest Posts

Top Bottom