Question for you

Camden

Does today's Turkey qualify for NATO membership?
Maybe this question needs to be asked of the present Turkish Govt ...with their stance on Ukraine and on Sweden & Finland joining NATO ...as Sweden has done nothing different than Greece with its support for Kurdish YPG that Turkey deems Terrorists ..

Many of the the Western Nato allies fought alongside the YPG against ISIS in Syria .. including UK Special Forces.... Prime example Kobane. Whilst our NATO Ally Turkey stood back and watched the YPG fight ISIS ... Our NATO ally whilst watching both treated ISIS injured in their hospitals then freed not detained , also their fighters were allowed to escape over their border ...

Does today's Turkey qualify for NATO membership?​

Last edited:

Mushroom

Turkey has been useful to Nato in the past as a location for accessing the Middle East for US airbases, but the focus today is on Russia.
It is obvious that Erdogan is happy to sell drones to Ukraine but not keen to apparently disconnect from Russian influence and all that it brings to Turkey.
Personally, I think it is dangerous to have a country which is prepared to veto Nato on behalf of Russia, as that is what it's really about.
On that basis, perhaps Turkey should be given a simple choice, support Nato or support Russia, but not both.
In the event of Nato actually being in a wartime scenario with Russia, which direction would Turkey be pointing weapons?

Camden

You beat me to it Rua .... his speciality is blackmail politics.... hostages with the US pastor.... the threat of swamping Europe with refugees.. for 6 billion

So don't be surprised that his stance on Finland and Sweden.... he is hoping to revive the US F35 jets deal and buy new F16's that broke down due to the US calling his bluff and refusing to sell ....

Last edited:

Mushroom

There is usually a bit of greed and blackmail behind anything that comes from Turkey in current times, but perhaps this should be the time to call his bluff as he is currently playing the part of a double agent.
Simple ultimatum - support Putin at the risk of losing NATO membership or support Nato at the risk of upsetting Russia (bearing in mind Putin is not going to be there for the long haul in my opinion - nor Erdogan) They all reach their 'sell by dates'.

Kanga

Turkey has been useful to Nato in the past as a location for accessing the Middle East for US airbases, but the focus today is on Russia.
It is obvious that Erdogan is happy to sell drones to Ukraine but not keen to apparently disconnect from Russian influence and all that it brings to Turkey.
Personally, I think it is dangerous to have a country which is prepared to veto Nato on behalf of Russia, as that is what it's really about.
On that basis, perhaps Turkey should be given a simple choice, support Nato or support Russia, but not both.
In the event of Nato actually being in a wartime scenario with Russia, which direction would Turkey be pointing weapons?
Never back anyone into a corner and force them to make a choice, it will never turn out well for either party.
Turkey wants the new F35s from US, and is very aware that the US/Nato base at Incirlik is vital to Nato. Push it too far and Incirlik could be closed which would change things dramatically.
Don't you play chess?

Mushroom

Never back anyone into a corner and force them to make a choice, it will never turn out well for either party.
Turkey wants the new F35s from US, and is very aware that the US/Nato base at Incirlik is vital to Nato. Push it too far and Incirlik could be closed which would change things dramatically.
Don't you play chess?

No. I play 'Risk'. More options and no set rules.
In a war scenario, and there is one happening right now in case you've missed it? you need to know who is behind you, who isn't and who you just can't trust.
Guess who Nato just can't trust?

esb1841

No. I play 'Risk'. More options and no set rules.
In a war scenario, and there is one happening right now in case you've missed it? you need to know who is behind you, who isn't and who you just can't trust.
Guess who Nato just can't trust?
Steady Eddy can point out to Nato which countries are currently funding Russia to the tune of one billion euros every day , will nato suspend those countries from membership and does anyone know who many tanks that those countries have are powered with electric motors

Camden

Luckily Incerlik is not the prize it once was...... so can't be used in Turkey's blackmail politics with the development of aircraft and mid flight re-fueling make Cyprus and Jordan's airbases able to operate a similar role with more reliable allies

B&B

As the west declines the east rises. I asked a neighbour once about Turkish politics. His reply was interesting. He thought the current incumbent might be the ONE. However if we didn't like it we can change it later. My Belfast friends have a local phrase "Turning Turk" for those who you cant trust. I suspect the east will become more attractive to Turkey and there may be a big pivot. One to watch. Desperate men do desperate things.

Rua

Remember when the Russian jet was shot down then he was straight on the blower to his Nato allies.I say they call his bluff.

Camden

As the west declines the east rises. I asked a neighbour once about Turkish politics. His reply was interesting. He thought the current incumbent might be the ONE. However if we didn't like it we can change it later. My Belfast friends have a local phrase "Turning Turk" for those who you cant trust. I suspect the east will become more attractive to Turkey and there may be a big pivot. One to watch. Desperate men do desperate things.

I agree B&B, your Turkish friend may think he is the ONE ... it will only be when he finds he doesn't like the One .. the changing of it ( him) later that might be the problem .. as this incumbent is entrenched , with his hands on all the Democratic/undemocratic levers ...

I have always thought the Turkish Govt under this guy, found the east more attractive , and seen in past policy like his neo Ottoman misadventure in Syria .

It's only the economic mess, of his own making, he see's a need for Western financial assistance, eg from the European Investment Bank (EIB) in cheap loans etc to shore up his mess ..... this offered through his never-ending application for EU membership......

this is without mentioning his own egotistical need, to be on the World stage, in a feeble attempt to overshadow the Ataturk legacy ..... A platform these Western alliances and institutions can provide ... these are a few reasons IMHO that has kept him tethered to the West. ....

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom