Gamuret

Does any member have a Private Pilot's Licence
Are there any members who have a Private Pilot's Licence or above?

If so, are there are any flying clubs from where a light aircraft can be hired? Or is this type of activity frowned upon by the military?

I have been asked by a friend who would like to hire a single or even a multi-engined aircraft if he visits Turkey next year. He appreciates that he would need to have a check ride but he does have 300 hours on his log so he is no amateur.

I have accompanied him whilst he was training not only in the UK but in Spain and California as well. The experience in a light aircraft can best be described as "unique" and is certainly a novel way to see another country (especially at 9000 feet at night over Los Angeles when you are flying above 747's on their final approach and you are trying to return to the airport at Long Beach!!).

Any information would be very much appreciated.

hijo

in my own clique
...theres a flying club in selcuk..close to ephesus..flying was one of my ambitions ..i took 3 lessons about 35 years ago ..and realised i couldn,t afford £30 an hour anymore..:28:

Hi Gamuret,I have had a pilots licence for 25+ Years,flown in the states ,france and Spain,Sold our plane about 3 years ago and thought i would take up the boating,Still miss the flying ,but dosnt seem to be much where i am in Altinkum,Nearest i got was the guy who flies the Paramotor about.Was talking to him last year ,he flies from a field up by the sports stadium. He has a TV/Electronic shop on the Attaturk Boulavard near Maxi Tours.Not sure where you are but he seems in the know RE Private flying.He said he would take me up some time,but not quite the same as fixed wing,but Hey Beggars cant be choosers ?? If you are near Didim ,i can dig his number out ,maybe he will be able to help.PPPS if you do find somewhere to hire a plane and need a co pilot Let me know,Be good to get my backside in the air again !! (that sounds bad eh ? ) let me know Jeff

Gamuret

Thanks very much for this information, Jeff.

I have come across a young chap on PPRuNe Forums - Professional Pilots Rumour Network who is trying to do just the same thing. He is in Izmir on an exchange scheme. I shall send you the technical details on a PM. Needless to say, being Turkey, it is far far from a simple matter. PPR is required everywhere for example. He is on TLF but seldom comes on so pprune is by far the best way to contact him.

I do not have a PPL myself but took out a mortgage on my property to enable somebody, to whom I was in loco parentis, obtain his frozen ATPL. Whilst he was training I accompanied him frequently in the UK, Spain and California, where he obtained his IR in just three weeks!!

Although he has been qualified for two years now, he cannot obtain his first post due to the recession and is now teaching physics at a catholic secondary school near Gatwick. He has some 300 hours on his log but few airlines will recruit low-hours pilots and often insist on at least 500 hours. That was why I thought that it would be cheaper for him to hour-build in Turkey. I might have guessed that there would be problems!!

At the moment, I live in Hayle in West Cornwall but plan to move to Fethiye once I have been able to sell this property and pay off the mortgage!

Gamuret

Thanks very much for that information.

I have passed it on to the chap in Izmir who is undertaking research for his own benefit. If he manages to find out anything he will let me know so that I can put together something for my friend. The pprune site is an excellent one for those of us interested in aviation. I shall be keeping a close watch on it when UNITE hold the next ballot in their efforts to force BA into liquidation (or so it would appear!). There were some extremely interesting comments on it last time!

Do you think that the military are unhappy about private individuals flying around as we do in the West? If so, however are they going to cope with entry into the EU?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom