newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Do you think sunshine makes people more friendly?
Something I can never get my head around...generally I find people appear more friendly when the sun is shining, but why?

If I see the same person walking down the street in Winter, they do not smile or sometimes even avoid making eye contact. Yet when I see the same person in Summer they have a smile on their face and appear to make eye contact. The only exception I've noticed to this Winter/cold - Summer/Sun thing is Christmas time when people do appear to make eye contact and smile.

So just what is it?

Do you think people from a colder climate country like U.K would be different if it had a warmer mediterranean climate...

Tess

Newhorizon, I absolutely love the Summer, Sun and long days. Not a lover of Winter and the short drab dark days. However I like to think I smile a lot, it is so much nicer than frowing and looking disheartened. Whilst I may not feel so happy go lucky in Winter, would like to think I could share a smile regardless. Smile and the world smiles with you, Cry and you cry alone. :) :) :) :) Smiling is infectious you catch it like the flu LOL!!!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I don't care what the weather, I always say Hallo and smile, a smile gives you less wrinkles too. If I don't get a smile warm greeting back, well it's their loss, me I feel good inside, because that's how I am towards my fellow human beings.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Something I can never get my head around...generally I find people appear more friendly when the sun is shining, but why?

If I see the same person walking down the street in Winter, they do not smile or sometimes even avoid making eye contact. Yet when I see the same person in Summer they have a smile on their face and appear to make eye contact. The only exception I've noticed to this Winter/cold - Summer/Sun thing is Christmas time when people do appear to make eye contact and smile.

So just what is it?

Do you think people from a colder climate country like U.K would be different if it had a warmer mediterranean climate...

The reason some people don't want to engage in conversation is its to cold to stand around chatting , So they avoid looking at you even pretend not to see you rather than chat , In summer they talk much more Don't take it personal i'm sure its the weather , I say Hello but just carry on walking my toes get to cold !!!.........Diane

jewel

Well it is a medical fact the sunshine produces feel good factors within our brains, I must say I have noticed that when in Turkey nearly everyone smiles and passes the time of day with a greeting (morning etc !!!) I will have to take notice in winter as Ihav'nt really noticed it. I do get what you mean by Christmas though,most people are in a happier mood generally speaking. jewel x

Reactions: GnD

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Well, I try to smile or make eye contact especially f I have been seeing the same person walking down the same street for last 2-3 years..yet I find this bizarre variation in attitude. Sometimes I do a test and deliberately, look up and smile and they look away! (so that must be personal to me!) This is on the school run btw;)

I had a similar conversation with some Turkish men last time I was out and they told me many of their friends met people on holiday here (i.e boyfriend/girlfriend type things) The girls call them back to UK and when the guy arrives in cloudy UK the girl doesn't want to know them?! Yet was so friendly in Turkey..Strange!

perfect1949

i just love my clique
a smile is good in any wheather , makes me feel good and happy, even when i feel down. and also its one of the few things that is free

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I don't care what the weather, I always say Hallo and smile, a smile gives you less wrinkles too. If I don't get a smile warm greeting back, well it's their loss, me I feel good inside, because that's how I am towards my fellow human beings.

Thats nice.:bigkiss:

Apart from the sun( which is beneficial ) i think that the Northern europeans ..and the british in particular have a less open character than Mediteranean people.
On holiday however they do loosen up in a way they wouldnt normally do in sunny Preston or foggy Flintshire..unless of course its open season for booze ...xmas and New Year,, when hilarity seems to be obligatory.
Once they get to anwhere along the Med they adopt the perceived traits of the locals...because hey ho its our holiday..and like xmas anything goes.

.....but its just an act..as have you noticed once everybody gets on the transfer coach or minibus back to the airport..they switch off again. The bosom buddies you partied with throughout the holiday have now reverted to norm. the touchy muchy feeley good factor has been relegated to the ranks of alcohol remorse ..and also they may be afraid you look up them and want to party again in little Marsden on the Marsh or wherever..and then what would the neighbours say.
..once you live here permanently you behave much as you would back home sun or no sun

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
You've put this point across so well. It's what I was thinking. I guess when you live in a place you can act the 'norm' but a 2 week holiday is just that, you go, visit, have fun, and return to your place of abode.

But why can't they smile?! I am not talking about strangers here I mean people you see in a quiet street a few times. I try to acknowledge and smile -whats the harm in that? Yet, the same person on holiday in Spain, Turkey, Egypt will no doubt smile to total strangers and start conversations.
What's the purpose of that? It's 2 weeks and over. Why not smile in your daily place of abode to the people you see everyday? That would mean something and be genuine. I do sometimes get 'fake' smiles back, I tried it the other day looked, acknowledged and smiled and said hello and got a false cheesy smile back..hmm maybe better to keep my head down...

Hmm I think I'm going to create the great british smile diary:)

Oh SMILE please -I'm taking your photo!!

If you smile, the world smiles with you. So what if it is cloudy, dull skies, if we acknowledge each others existence it makes the place seem jolly and bright. You don't need to go in 'holiday-mode' to be cheerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sunshine makes me feel good even in the uk during the winter, it lifts your spirits.
I'm quite a smily person even won a prize in the department store I used to work in for smiling the most.

It's a bit scary though as I'm getting older I look in the mirror and my mouth has a slight downward droop.....so why do I have so many "laughter lines" around my eyes?

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
The weather here in the North of the UK has been gorgeous since Saturday, and people are walking around seemingly happier, as we have had probably the wettest July and August for Aeons. We know that the temperature is most definitely on the downward slide, but it has just been so pleasant to enjoy this late summer treat.

Does everyone feel now that September is here that the days are rapidly becoming shorter, does SAD set in with you? (Seasonal Affected Disorder), having spoken to Turkish friends recently and they're saying now that winter is def on it's way, the temperatures are cooling and they are actually looking forward to some rain again. It doesn't seem to make them feel SAD. Or is it just us BRITS who moan about our weather?

I love to see the sun but here in Turkey hate the exteme heat that comes with it. I have had a face like fizz for the past 8 weeks lol. Today has been a joy after out little shower of rain yesterday, it has really cooled down to a pleasant barable tempreture

Latest Posts

Top Bottom