icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Do you remember..
....when it was embarrassing to let your mates know that you had had fish and chips for dinner ?

It was considered such a "cheap" meal

Even worse was "dripping sandwiches" for school lunch oooooh it was good though

Leo

Do you remember..
....when it was embarrassing to let your mates know that you had had fish and chips for dinner ?

It was considered such a "cheap" meal

Even worse was "dripping sandwiches" for school lunch oooooh it was good though

Ok - all our yesterdays with food eh.....

1. Sugger butties The staff of life (as long as mum wasn't around)
2. Dripping on toast, with loads of salt on a Sunday evening (dripping had gone hard in a cup - storred since Sunday lunch)
3. Yorkshire puddings - cold left over ones with jam in for Monday tea
4. Beans on toast or what mum used to call 'skinheads on a raft'
5. Crisp butties - but only when we had enough dosh as kids to buy crisps
6 walking rather than catching the bus - so we could spend our 2p on 2oz of pear drops or chewing nuts
7. Tuesday tea - sliced oranges with suger on top, left for a couple of hours in the fridge before eating
8. Vimto - but only once per year, on our annual hols to Soth Denes in Lowestoft

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:roundgrin

JET

Do you remember..
Ahh! But then you lived in Suffolk surrounded by pigs, poultry and prime beef, us townies had to rely on corned beef and powdered egg. The first chicken we ever saw was on the Pathe News. The mice in our house used to eat out........

Aye these were the good old days.........

First up in the morning got to wear the long trousers and shoes - I had one brother, three sisters and was a heavy sleeper. Could never understand why I got the nickname Thrush; I just found wearing knickers a bit irritating.

Thanks JET for a loan of your laptop.

Ian H

Leo

Do you remember..
Ahh! But then you lived in Suffolk surrounded by pigs, poultry and prime beef, us townies had to rely on corned beef and powdered egg. The first chicken we ever saw was on the Pathe News. The mice in our house used to eat out........

Aye these were the good old days.........

First up in the morning got to wear the long trousers and shoes - I had one brother, three sisters and was a heavy sleeper. Could never understand why I got the nickname Thrush; I just found wearing knickers a bit irritating.

Thanks JET for a loan of your laptop.

Ian H

Ha Ha, now your talking. Being an old townie (and only Suffolk-ated in the last 15 years) I know exactly what you mean.... Our mice had rent books! and we were that hard-up we used forks in the suger bowl............

Do you remember..
Spending all weekend looking for pop bottles to take back to the shop to get the 2p back.

Going to the seaside and having a huge bag of crab claws and a stick to push the meat out for 10p

Sat outside the pub on holiday with my brother with a bottle of pop and bag of crisps while mum and dad had a drink inside.

White dog poo!

dalyansteve

Do you remember..
From a different perspective, I thought all houses had indoor bathrooms, central heating and double glazing, I also thought everybodys Mum used to buy a new car every couple of years and holidays were spent in France, Spain, Italy or Portugal or you went on a cruise somewhere. It was not until I had to fend for myself that I realised how wrong I was nor how lucky I was. I now live in a little old Turkish cottage on a shoestring and couldn't be happier.

JET

Do you remember..
Sent to the butchers by my Gran to get a bone for the dog (we didn`t have a dog) and she`d use it to make soup.

Woof! Woof!

McDHibs

Do you remember..
Spam fritters (spam in Batter) it was the only thing my Dad would cook Mum did everything else

Mike

Guz1

Do you remember..
Sand in the sandwiches on daytrips to the seaside. I genuinely believed that was where the name came from.

Firebrand

Do you remember..
Luncheon meat. I think my dad had that in his work box every day for 40 years! God he would turn in his grave if he saw how much I spend on poncie sarnies for my lunch.

angiesco

Do you remember..
do you still get the luncheon meat that had the boiled egg through the middle? I used to have that on my peeces(sandwiches)

Angie.

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Do you remember..
Ha Ha Val I found a Vesta chow mein the other week It was heaven.

Nestle's condensed milk sandwiches

Friday nights spending me sweet ration coupon

and wondering what was in the brown paper parcel my mum got occasionally.

Do you remember..
My nan sending us kids to the bookies to put a bet on the horses for her and bamp sending us to the shop for 10 woodbines.

Saturday night was faggots and peas night and we would all fight over who would put the big tablet in the dried peas and then put them in the net bag to cook.

We use to stay over nan and bamps for the night, no quilts on the bed just loads of blankets, and my bamps army coat if it was really cold, the only problem was they were so heavy once you were in that was it you had to wait for nan to come and get you out in the morning.

Jane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom