Do we need an accountant?
Our sitesi has a properly formed committee, constitution etc all in line with Turkish Law. We do not have a company.I get the impression from reading other threads on this forum that if you have a company in Turkey you have to have an accountant, by law. That makes sense really. But, presumably, individuals and groups of individuals eg property owners on a sitesi don't have to have an accountant. Can anyone confirm or refute this please? We don't want to pay for an accountant if we don't have to.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
as well as the committee you should also have an auditor who is indepenant of the main "voting" committee, in theory the committee should present the accounts to the auditor who in turn audits them and presents the results to the owners and the committee. In my experience I would employ an independant accountant especially if you use a site management company, the reason for this is you are allowing a 3rd party to spend your money under your instruction so it is wise to keep tabs on it.

martin

Hello Martin
Thank you very much for your helpful reply.I will pass it onto my fellow committee members.
Best wishes,

L

les&Tasha

Hi,

It all depends on whether you have a friendly, cooperative community. Many small apartment buildings elect a "house captain" who administers the maintenance etc. As long as everyone agrees then there is no need to have the accounts audited. However if one or more people object to the charges they can refuse to pay unless the accounts are independantly audited. The management committee will then have to get the accounts audited in order to legally enforce maintenance charge payments.

We are currently in this situation as major repairs are needed to the roof of our building. Everything was very friendly until this approx 5000 YTL charge(each) arose. Now the management of our building has been in court twice, the roof is still leaking and still no end in sight...

In our opinion you need to run the management company much like you would administer a limited company back in UK. Formal, minuted meetings, records of all votes and audited accounts. I know it sounds over the top but you need to follow the legal guidelines closely if problems arise.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi,

It all depends on whether you have a friendly, cooperative community. Many small apartment buildings elect a "house captain" who administers the maintenance etc. As long as everyone agrees then there is no need to have the accounts audited. However if one or more people object to the charges they can refuse to pay unless the accounts are independantly audited. The management committee will then have to get the accounts audited in order to legally enforce maintenance charge payments.

We are currently in this situation as major repairs are needed to the roof of our building. Everything was very friendly until this approx 5000 YTL charge(each) arose. Now the management of our building has been in court twice, the roof is still leaking and still no end in sight...

In our opinion you need to run the management company much like you would administer a limited company back in UK. Formal, minuted meetings, records of all votes and audited accounts. I know it sounds over the top but you need to follow the legal guidelines closely if problems arise.

It is a legat requirement law 634 that you have a seperate audit committee or person, there is no such thing as a friendly community.

you may have friends in the community ! until as you say !!!!

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom