Do UK Dongles work in Turkey?
Hi all,
I think this is the right place to ask, if not, apologies.
I would like to take my laptop with me to Turkey this year, however I'm wondering which would be the easiest way to get internet connection. If I got a pay as you go dongle from the UK would it work over there, otherwise, do any of the Turkish telecom companies offer something similar?
Many thanks,
Deb.

UK dongle will cost alot to use in Turkey.You can get Turkish dongles but you are probably better off going to one of the bars or cafes that gives free wifi use in most towns for the cost of a drink.

Whatever you do, DONT use a UK dongle. A pal of mine used his 3 network UK dongle here, took about five times to connect properly in about 5 mins and he then got a text message telling him the cost was £32. Suffice to say he never used it again. Vodafone Turkey are advertising bigstyle on Turkish TV at the moment for their dongle internet but I suspect it will be relatively expensive.

jandj

I bought a Turkcell dongle from Carrefour for 185 ytl. I get a 1 gb connection for a months unlimited use at a cost of 54 ytl for 300 knotors, which are converted at the Turkcell shop for me.

gren

Could you explain more please jandj?
185+54 = 239tl (£96) for unlimited downloads within a month, yes?

Sounds expensive to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. It seems quite expensive, it was Garys idea, to try and watch tv through the comp, I think I'll be leaving it at home.

jandj

Could you explain more please jandj?
185+54 = 239tl (£96) for unlimited downloads within a month, yes?

Sounds expensive to me!

The dongle is an outright puchase at 185 ytl, after that all you pay is 54 ytl per month.

Sorry the info was a bit confusing, the Efes fairy had been visiting as I wrote the piece.;)

The dongle is an outright puchase at 185 ytl, after that all you pay is 54 ytl per month.

Sorry the info was a bit confusing, the Efes fairy had been visiting as I wrote the piece.;)

Hi can you just pay for the months you need ( when we are in Turkey) a couple of months a year or have they got to be continuous.

Thanks

Jane

jandj

No you just pay for the month you want. For example my month runs out on Friday, so I'll go to my local Turkcell shop and pay for the 300 kontors. If I was going away for a while, I wouldn't bother, but when I did pay, the month would start from that date.

gren

You know, its probably cheaper to simply use your mobile phone as a modem dongle instead. Plug in in with a USB lead and set it up as a modem.
All info readily available on the internet. You just need a mobile with GPRS which most have and it will save you 185TL.

You know, its probably cheaper to simply use your mobile phone as a modem dongle instead. Plug in in with a USB lead and set it up as a modem.
All info readily available on the internet. You just need a mobile with GPRS which most have and it will save you 185TL.

I think this is really expensive, that money saving bloke was on GMTV say do not use GPRS as it cost a fortune.

Jane

gren

I think this is really expensive, that money saving bloke was on GMTV say do not use GPRS as it cost a fortune.
Jane

If you're referring to MY post Jane, you are wrong.
It cost me 25TL for 1 week internet via Turkcell (50MB max) doing it as I said.

Martin Lewis was probably referring to using a UK provider which does cost a fortune.

jandj

Martin Lewis was probably referring to using a UK provider which does cost a fortune.

1 week at 25 ytl = 4 weeks for 100 ytl, nearly twice as much as I am paying. It may be cheaper to use your method over the short term, but I am here for 6 months and am returning in May 2010, and wont have to fork out for another dongle, when I return.
You can do the maths, but I think long term, buy a dongle, short term, find the cheapest means possible. As they say, "if it works for you"

gren

1 week at 25 ytl = 4 weeks for 100 ytl, nearly twice as much as I am paying. It may be cheaper to use your method over the short term, but I am here for 6 months and am returning in May 2010, and wont have to fork out for another dongle, when I return. You can do the maths, but I think long term, buy a dongle, short term, find the cheapest means possible. As they say, "if it works for you"

Yes, if you're using it looong term your method may be better for you with your dongle (which is basically a mobile phone anyway).
My Turkcell 'plan' automatically renewed itself weekly unless I cancelled it.

Anyway, I don't use either anymore.
The local bar is 9mins walk away, has excellent pide, a great view and FREE WiFi !

Yes I think that might be it, your normal UK phone just switched on when you are abroad, so what would I need to buy and where would I buy it, to use GPS via Turkcell. (sorry for being a bit thick I am not very techni minded, turn it on and dial the number, perhaps the odd text is as complicated as it gets) I am asking for my other half, would be nice to sound quite intelligent when explaining to him lol.

Jane

gren

Yes I think that might be it, your normal UK phone just switched on when you are abroad, so what would I need to buy and where would I buy it, to use GPS via Turkcell. (sorry for being a bit thick I am not very techni minded, turn it on and dial the number, perhaps the odd text is as complicated as it gets) I am asking for my other half, would be nice to sound quite intelligent when explaining to him lol. Jane

It depends what phone you got. With my W800i i connect its lead to the USB port on my laptop and set it up as a modem. Then within the computer's dial-up networking options you create a 'new connection' to "Turkcell".

On the phone itself, you need to set up a data connection to Turkcell.

Then when you then select "Turkcell" dial-up from your laptop, it dials the Turkcell data service via your (connected by the lead) mobile.

And you sign up for the service either online at www.Turkcell or better at a Turkcell "Extra" shop such as that in Bodrum marina.

Your mobile has to be registered with them too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom