Votes: 70 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 18 14.0%

• Total voters

Martyn

DNA database a good idea?
What does everyone think? I was listening to the car radio today and someone on there said that because his dna was on record it stopped him committing two offences knowing he would be caught. We think of DNA being used to trace criminals but as a deterent, probably doesn't occur to us. Do you think all dna should be on record?

bobthenob

Non Active Member
The system that we live in,where every one is suspicious of each other due to the demonic minds amongst us, that take advantage of other people's kindness,are getting away with the crimes committed.The system has no choice but to install a database which can positively identify the person in question as the main suspect towards that crime.

The way the technology is nowadays.The criminal can use this know how in his favour to avoid detection,without the database installed.
This is why l have voted in agreeing with the database to be installed,so the demonic mind can be recognized as the prime suspect to the crime that has been committed.

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
How is taking a DNA sample going to enable "the demonic mind" to be recognised ?

M

Mack

Regardless of the real purpose of the database, I find it amazing how in just a decade or so people have been programmed to accept that they have to give up their rights for freedom! (The biggest contradiction in terms EVER and now people shout it parrot fashion). What would have been the reaction if the government had announced it was going to tattoo a bar code onto every newborns neck instead as it amounts to the same thing!

I for one refuse to be treated as guilty till proven innocent and invasive and immoral schemes like this do exactly that, I would never be happy having my childrens DNA on a database FOREVER, (yes it is, read the small print). The information that exists on databases about me I would willingly give to anyone, what I have chosen to share is exactly that A CHOICE.

The "if youve got nothing to hide" argument Im sure will get levelled is only valid if you have a 100% fair justice system, when only the guilty are punished and no-one is framed, the police and justice system are 100% honest I would accept that argument also.

No-one will mind till their life insurance premiums and medical bills suddenly start to rise or they get refused treatment coz of whats been found in their DNA, then they will be against it. But that would never happen would it?

Martyn

Of course they are as strong arguments for as against it and we will all have our reasons. For every reason you can give against it I can give one for it. The problem is life isn't perfect and what you say is true but it doesn't mean we should do nothing. They have got a lot of information already about us but surely dna would be the one that helps most.

M

Mack

If used responsibly and ONLY for the stated purpose Martyn yes I agree, but with Councils using the anti-terrorism legislation to spy on people putting rubbish in the wrong bins or who's dogs are taking a dump where just proves that the government and authorities are in my view 100% likely to misuse (or use as originally intended, not how it was sold to the public) the incredible power and information this could give them.

M

Mack

I have never had that experience KKOB, dont get me wrong though, theres an awful lot wrong with the Turkish system (if theres an ideal one anywhere please show me :)) but for me the nanny state doesnt exist here and despite the long list of shortcomings, for me its a better option (not the perfect one).

I have never been treated as being automatically guilty here by the Polis or Jamdarma, is this a constitutional decree? At the very worst what you are saying is that I am no worse here than the UK.

I voted "don't know" (not don't care! - I would have given two separate categories here)as I am quite confused over the issue. On the one hand I can appreciate that it is a great forensic tool and would greatly assist in catching criminals, which is a good thing.

On the other hand I am very nervous about the increasing amount of personal data being held and recorded. I do not trust the systems in place to keep the data safe and secure. And what a government with the data could do if it was so inclined is very worrying.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Mack,

Turkish Law, unlike that of the UK, is based on Napoleonic Code. In general, the accused is guilty until proven innocent. In day-to-day dealings with the Jandarma and Polis it's unlikely that you'll notice it, especially as a law abiding foreigner.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Code[/ame]

Last edited:

Martyn

Surely it's moving with the times, 500 years ago you would have less rights than you have now.

M

Mack

Mack,

Turkish Law, unlike that of the UK, is based on Napoleonic Law. In general, the accused is guilty until proven innocent.

Then Ill start to pack :D, Ive personally always been treated much better by the Jandarma (and to a lesser degree, the Polis) in the few "incidents" Ive been involved in in my time here than I have ever been treated by the Police in the UK but I suppose its how its interpreted and acted upon.

I wasnt aware of the Napoleonic outlook, Im just off to grass up a few innocents who have p'ssd me off in the past then, later :mod: :roundgrin

BTW, back on topic, I still think the DNA database is a BAD IDEA.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
It's not a good idea at all as someone's DNA could (and will!) be found at crime scenes when in fact they are completely innocent.

DNA should only be stored if there is a conviction, as is the case in most European countries. Exceptions should be made only for serious violent and sexual offences.

The public and particularly civil liberties groups need to monitor closely what the government are doing here because they will attempt to introduce many of these things by stealth.

I don't mind CCTV in our towns and cities as crimes can be prevented or solved quickly by their use, but this is completely different.

C

Martyn

Well DNA would be used with other factors but it could be the defining part to decide if someone is guilty or innocent.

M

Mack

Just reading up on the Turkish Constitution it doesnt seem to be Napoleonic based, take a look at the whole Constitution article [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Turkey"]HERE[/ame] and specifically the Article 19: Personal Liberty and Security (security of person) HERE.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The law on which Turkey based its administrative structure was the product of the first half of the 19th century and translated from the Napoleonic Code. Almost all the legislation aimed at turning Turkey into a Western country is the product of the same era, and France was taken as an example for this. During the early years of the Republic, France maintained this 'exemplary' situation. Our intellectuals spoke French and knew texts in French.

Fehmi Koru - 06.05.2009

:focus:

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The laws of the Turkish Republic are all based on Swiss, German, and Italian laws, particularly The Turkish Criminal Code which was based on the Italian Criminal Code of 1889, and which was adopted by Turkey in 1926.

C

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
I haven't voted because there are so many factors to consider. Ultimately I think it can do more good than harm, but its a liberty asking us to pay £60 ourselves to lose our privacy!

I won't be at the front of the queue to get one.

I dont mind having my DNA on record. Does not bother me at all. And if it helps having people's on record, it can only be a good idea. Cannot see in any way how having my DNA on record gives my freedom up as we dont have any freedom anyway,,,, it's called mortgage, work, life. No one is free.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom