Peony44

Divorce - need a lawyer in Izmir
Hi all,

I live in another country, had a divorce here, but now need to get a divorce in Turkey. Do most solicitors in Turkey do this? Anyone know what it would involve and how much it would cost?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You can get a very cheap divorce in 5 minutes if you both go to the family court, and you gave agreed financial terms etc, no lawyer required. Not sure how easy it is if you're not on sufficiently good terms to do this.

Peony44

5000 TL???? Oh my! Why do they need so much money? It's not even close to being that expensive in Australia!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm still on good terms with my ex. All kids are adults and there are no property issues etc.

Yildiz Datca and Beyazbayan, I will be going to Turkey soon to visit and file for divorce, but my ex will not be going.

I actually emailed a couple of solicitors in Izmir yesterday after I posted this and they gave me completely different information about the process. I'm soooo confused!

Is there a legit, independant organisation I can call that can provide advice on this for free? The process seems way too complicated than it seems it should be. I have a feeling some of these solicitors are trying to take advantage of the fact I'm from another country.

Tommie

Sun Worshipper
Turkish solicitors rip you off??? No way. They are too honest to do that!!

bickern

I have a feeling some of these solicitors are trying to take advantage of the fact I'm from another country.

Trust your feelings but I think they try and take advantage of whoever, whenever they can. I could be biased here but I think the majority are just snakes.

Peony44, you say you have a divorce in your own country,if so, why bother getting one in Turkey? Unless you want to remarry there, or you have joint assets there, what's the point? It's not necessary. If your ex wants to remarry in Turkey let him sort it out.

beyazbayan

Look at this site good and current info. url=http://turkishlove.yuku.com/topic/4922/Information-about-Divorce-in-Turkey

Peony44

Tommie, I like to think there might be some honest solicitors in this world haha

Yildez Datca, it's for closure more than anything. I just want to sever all legal ties.

Beyaz Bayan, thanks for the link. I signed up but now my membership needs to be approved.

There's a website called bosanma.com.tr I'm hoping I can call them and get some free advice (whether I understand what they're actually saying is a different matter). I understand Turkish but this legal stuff is just going waaaaay over my head. I need someone who has dealt with people from overseas before.

suzyq

I believe you are Turkish although you were brought up in Australia so you will still be regarded as married in Turkey. As you have already got Australian divorce papers you will need to get them recognised by a Turkish court.

Tommie, I like to think there might be some honest solicitors in this world haha

Yildez Datca, it's for closure more than anything. I just want to sever all legal ties.

Beyaz Bayan, thanks for the link. I signed up but now my membership needs to be approved.

There's a website called bosanma.com.tr I'm hoping I can call them and get some free advice (whether I understand what they're actually saying is a different matter). I understand Turkish but this legal stuff is just going waaaaay over my head. I need someone who has dealt with people from overseas before.

Ok, but it's expensive closure! I would suggest a luxury cruise, new wardrobe and a spa weekend - and you'll still have some change!! :smile:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom