Moggycat

Disappointed
In Gumbet today we came accross something we found hard to swallow ~ 2 very well known resteraunts ~ one of which advertises on here, also do money exchange and have big boards up outside with their rates clearly marked, at the first one it said at the bottom of the board ~ with food, we enquired what this meant as we have often changed money there before and were told we could only have the advertised rate if we had a meal there, if not then the rate was lower, we then walked on and looked at the board for a Chinese place and at the bottom of their board hand written in Turkish was the same thing, again over the years we have often changed money there. Is this a new general thing that places are doing and we havn't noticed before? Moggycat

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Disappointed
Well a couple of the restaurants here ( which I will not name ) do exactly the same thing - seems like false advertising to me !

We change money ourselves but we do not insist that you eat in our restaurant

parrot

Disappointed
Gone to (I think,if it's the same one)the Chinese place many times in the past to change money and eat,wasn't charged commision and also got a good rate,surprisingly.As one bitterly opposed to the rip off merchants,I could swallow this one.In drastic times and I would think these are drastic times for all these things will happen,airlines are now quicker to charge for meals and excess baggage so why not these places for providing a service.I would say yes it should be free to customers but not for anyone just passing by.
What was the saying about a free lunch,excuse the pun.

Helenm150

Disappointed
Gone to (I think,if it's the same one)the Chinese place many times in the past to change money and eat,wasn't charged commision and also got a good rate,surprisingly.As one bitterly opposed to the rip off merchants,I could swallow this one.In drastic times and I would think these are drastic times for all these things will happen,airlines are now quicker to charge for meals and excess baggage so why not these places for providing a service.I would say yes it should be free to customers but not for anyone just passing by.
What was the saying about a free lunch,excuse the pun.
I couldn't agree more Parrot - imagine how galling it would be if you owned a restaurant and changed money for someone commission free and at a good rate - and then they went next door to eat - what a cheek!

Moggycat

Disappointed
I don't think it is a cheek at all, if they are advertising at a certain rate, then that is what they should give, regardless of whether you want to eat there or not, we have eaten at both these places in the past and found them very good but will not now do so. It is our choice, if, when and where we eat. Nobody can tell me that they lose out on changing money even if they give a couple of Kurus more than the people next door. This seems a bit blackmailish to me!

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Disappointed
Well the way I look at it is nobody is forcing you to change your money or eat there and if they want to offer a higher rate to their customers, then good for them - during this credit crunch, it's a dog eat dog world.

Peregrine

Disappointed
....................., if they are advertising at a certain rate, then that is what they should give, regardless of whether you want to eat there or not, ..............................!

Why should they? They are quite up-front about their "eat here get a good rate service"

anyway, why change money at a restaurant? Surely the bank would be a better place to carry out that sort of transaction

After all, you dont see many people tucking into kofte at the bank do you?

Helenm150

Disappointed
I don't think it is a cheek at all, if they are advertising at a certain rate, then that is what they should give, regardless of whether you want to eat there or not, we have eaten at both these places in the past and found them very good but will not now do so. It is our choice, if, when and where we eat. Nobody can tell me that they lose out on changing money even if they give a couple of Kurus more than the people next door. This seems a bit blackmailish to me!
but they are advertising currency at a favourable rate, commission free, subject to you giving them your custom - this is their perogative - as it is yours to choose where you want to eat

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Disappointed
Why should they? They are quite up-front about their "eat here get a good rate service"

anyway, why change money at a restaurant? Surely the bank would be a better place to carry out that sort of transaction

After all, you dont see many people tucking into kofte at the bank do you?

:504xn: :closed_2:

ChrisBobs

Disappointed
:) To be boring and back to the topic... it may just happen to be illegal to change money without being registered business to do so? Accepting foreign currency as payment is ok..and perhaps they have been reminded of that by the man in the MALIYE van... (tax authorities)

cassıe

cassıe
Disappointed
Go to a Bank. Thats what they are there for, This is a holiday resort. Of course there is always a catch. They are desperate for custom. And if you are clever enough to work the exchange rate out yourself on a calculator you will find they are ripping you off. :3:

:gathering

Helenm150

Disappointed
cassıe;303280 said:
Go to a Bank. Thats what they are there for, This is a holiday resort. Of course there is always a catch. They are desperate for custom. And if you are clever enough to work the exchange rate out yourself on a calculator you will find they are ripping you off. :3:

:gathering
Or why not forget about banks altogether - just go directly to a friend with a sob story, how you are desparate - just until your pension starts ... 2,400TL not a bad result - allowed the 5 year party party party Turkey to continue 2010 - friend looking for work in UK and sleeping on the floor - but hey ho that's her problem, the sun is shining and there's a boat trip to be booked and another bar bill to be run up! Clearly works for some doesn't it - but then as you say people don't like being ripped off - and that is the catch!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom