Pygmallion

Didim Friends of Animals charity fund-raising event at Betty’s Café/Bar

Voices Newspaper
Sunday, November 20, 2005

On Sunday 20th November, Anna and Alan, two members of the Didim Friends of Animals charity held a fund raising event at Betty’s Café/Bar on the seafront and raised over 1000 YTL for the charity. With the help of other members and donations from Andrew, who owns the café, and hosted the event, as well as from Noelle, Anna, Jean, Liz and the two Hazels, they hosted a raffle which alone, raised over 400YTL. The event started at 1pm, with cut price Avon goods on sale, as well as a huge selection of other items that are difficult to find here, such as packs of Christmas cards, pickled onions, custard powder etc., as well as framed animal pictures, toiletries and other miscellaneous items. Orders for Avon goods were given a 10% discount. Anna spent all of the day before baking, as did some of the Turkish committee members, bringing home-made baklava, lentil kofte, potato and spinach pie and other edible items, which were sold by the portion. All the money raised from sales of goods, foodstuffs and the raffle went to the charity. As the event finished at 6pm, the full amount taken was 1,060 YTL with still more money to come from others who found themselves tempted but not having brought enough ready cash with them.
Hazel Sampson produced 20 limited edition colour calendars, featuring a photo of Muhsin Sengul, the original worker at the council dog shelter, who tragically died in an accident with an industrial machine a few weeks ago. The other months’ pictures are all of shelter dogs who have been and gone; ‘friends’ of the members who visit the shelter regularly. The calendars were all sold within 15 minutes, and Hazel will prepare some more, to be sold at the next charity meeting. She covered the cost of making the calendars from her own pocket, and wanted all the proceeds to go to the charity. The Charity also had their own calendars and bookmarks on sale, the printing of which was sponsored by Voices newspaper, and Prestige Property Magazine owners, Hasan Bayrak and Özgür Çankaya. These are available from Betty’s Café/Bar and The Welcome Inn Café/Bar for anyone who wishes to purchase them. All proceeds go the the charity.
The whole event had a happy atmosphere, with all like-minded people present, and even Kiki, Wolfie (known as different names to different members), and Sweetie from Altinkum Villas present too! These dogs have been around for a long time, and are well-known to all the members. Two non-members, Rosie and Yuksel said they will pay themselves, to have Wolfie doctored so he will not be a menace to the girl dogs around Dolphin Square, which is his normal territory. They already own Kiki, who likes to live on the street in the summer, but knows well where her owners live, and goes home regularly for food, and love. She has already been neutered, paid for by Hazel F last year, as has Sweetie, by a Dutch lady who visits Altinkum regularly.
There were 6 prizes unclaimed and the list of winners is given below. All the unsold items will be held and carried over to the next sale. Pauline H, a committee member will organize a raffle and maybe a quiz to be held before Xmas, and there will also be a jumble sale, offering almost new good quality clothing, books, and other items, including the Avon desk, after the New Year. Details will be given at a later date.
The unclaimed prize numbers are:
184 Ann
81 Andy Messias
174 Mark
86 Sharon
69 Sue C
175 Burdett
The prizes are at Betty’s Café/Bar awaiting collection by the winners.

The next animal charity meeting will be held on Friday 9th December at 6pm at The Welcome Inn Café/Bar.

Sylvia

This is great news, We know Hazel well and she really loves her dogs

BRUSANDRA

i was there when kiki had her pups under the tele in the ege bar she had 9 i think the father was scru ff who was always with her dont no were he is now but lovely dog hazil and all the other,s are doing great job
sandra

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
This is great news, and a worthy cause, being an avid dog lover, I do get upset on seeing some of the roaming dogs in Altinkum when I am on holiday, if I had enough money I would pay to bring them home with me. Well done everybody.

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
Congratualtions on all you have done and raised. I would love to do something like that down here. We have a lovely vet who tries really hard to raise awareness but I have not had the time to organise any event... I have organised 2 bazaars in Alanya in the past but these where for a childrens school. If I can get enough people interested to help I could do one here for animals but it really needs a team effort too much for one person... so come on Alanya animal lovers contact me...

brenda

brenda
The charity day was a great success and a good team effort .The other good news in Altinkum is that following a recent meeting with the vice mayor at which many issues were discussed , work has begun at the local shelter to build more shelter areas etc.We all hope that all this effort will lead to everyone involved working together in a more effective way and we can all feel more optimistic that things will improve .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom