Mushroom

Did you need a degree to do your job?
I think the youth of today are far more up to speed on the value of a degree for their future wellbeing.
My Grandson at 15 has already worked out which degree he's going for & where he will obtain it. He had a choice of football academies, he chose the one that suited & would help with his further education onto a degree (sport related).
He's a cracking footballer BUT he knows how hard it is to become one of the chosen few.
He has his head well screwed on, I did at his age but mine tended to get cross threaded.
I dealt with an incident for a particular insurance company before I retired which involved a player who at the time was with Sheffield United and he had realised that he could make a good wage in football but that was likely to end at about 35. He was 33 when I met him and he told me that he had added Chartered Surveyor to his CV whilst still playing football and his intention in retirement with a friend was to go into property development.
To me that is the best of both worlds and something an aspiring footballer could consider Chips?

Kanga

Depends on the job. I left school with A levels and got a job, later did teacher training and then a degree in special ed while working full time with 2 children. Then went on to do a MScEcon while working fulltime, and changed career in my 40s.
Two grandsons have both started with apprenticeships, the elder one did 2 yrs with BA then went to uni and graduated 2 years ago and now has a good job with Welsh Water. His younger brother has just started an apprenticeship with Kia after 2 years college. Our only grand-daughter is a nursery nurse and finishing her qualifications this year while working full time, and the youngest grandson starts a medical science degree course this autumn.
Here endeth grandma bragging rights, but I am very proud of them all, and their parents, for the love and support they have given.

Saoirse

Before leaving Belfast I had been out of work for a while -infact quite a while

My last job there was lamp lighter ( Assistant Apprentice Stage 2)

I also at weekends followed draymans horse and cart as I made " collections" for local organic garden centre

Happy days

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Before leaving Belfast I had been out of work for a while -infact quite a while

My last job there was lamp lighter ( Assistant Apprentice Stage 2)

I also at weekends followed draymans horse and cart as I made " collections" for local organic garden centre

Happy days
That explains your penchant for bullsh1t

Chasey

Watched my eldest daughters Degree ceromancy for her Distinction masters Degree from UCL on Tuesday last week

Min 15 Angela Song Chase

In September she starts her Doctorate at UCL

On Wednesday ill be going to Guilford to watch my youngest daughters degree ceromancy for her first in her 1st Degree from Surry university

Both kids were studying Clinical Psychology

Both kids earn less money than I pay men who can barely read and write just to labour for plasterers (sub 24K per year) and about half of what a plasterer earns

Both kids have 60K + debt in store as a result of education (Youngest will start her Masters next year)

BUT

Work takes up 45+ years of your life

I hope as a result of their study, they will have rewarding and challenging jobs in more ways than just financial

Mushroom

It's not actually a debt, it's a loan and it has to be paid back, but only pro-rata to earnings for a maximum of 30 years.
Our two have loans, they pay it back slowly and if either of them were to either set up their own business or go freelance, with creative accounting, they would pay very little.
There's also the possibility that if they meet rich blokes and become 'kept women' they will pay nowt back.
Without their loans (or debt if you prefer) they would not have got their degrees and without their degrees, they would not have their current jobs.
Meanwhile my mate in his mid 60's took out a Student Loan for his History degree with the OU.
He is doing it simply for his own pleasure as he retired a few years ago, and realising that when it is completed, he will not reach the threshold for paying owt back as his pension and state pension will not reach it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom