peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Diary of a dead sports moped.
So today I got my head blasted off

As some may know I got my mitts on a Yamaha sports moped with the intention of restoring it to full showroom condition. Its in a bad way and will need a lot of tlc and spare parts as you'd expect from a moped almost 25 years old!
But I thought I'd keep a kind of diary of events here on TLF so that anyone interested can follw my progress. It'll be good for me to look back on too :)

To date I have only begun dismantling the bike and finding parts supplies. Much to Denise's dismay there is usually one oily bit or another hanging around the kitchen.

Because of the condition of the bike and some of the bolts it took me 3 days to drop the engine out! and typically that time was spent on just one rusty engine mounting.

Anyway its out now and I've begun dismantling it to restore. I took the head for bead blasting today and I'm well chuffed with the results as you can see in the pictures :)

Firstly, here she is in her glory, beaten & badly bruised!
yam025.jpg

And now, the cylinder head & barrel..
Before

After

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Pete

It looks older than 25 years, I had the same tank design on my xs 400 in 1977 and I have now got a 78 xs 500 which had the same design, until somebody painted it out

martin

ps fabulous colours !

Harem

I've cliqued
Pete, I was dead impressed when I looked at the "before" and "after" pictures and thought of all the hard work you had put in. Then I read your narrative - and was so disappointed to read that you had had the parts bead blasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
Pete, I was dead impressed when I looked at the "before" and "after" pictures and thought of all the hard work you had put in. Then I read your narrative - and was so disappointed to read that you had had the parts bead blasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i must take exception there, Of course you have them bead or sand blasted!! what do you think he was going to do sit down for three years with a tin of Brasso?:bottom:

Harem

I've cliqued
Well, yeah. Knowing what a dedicated man he is!!!!!!!!!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Why indeed Gren, noisy, smelly, slow then, but now ???

Steve.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
You're on the ball Uzicook. Its an FS1, an offshoot. Basically an FS1E without pedals. Slightly bigger tank & seat, but its an FS1E other than that.

Lol Harem, my dedication lasted about 30 minutes with some 600 grade wet & dry paper before admitting defeat and driving down to the bead blasters :D

Gren, apart from having a new hobby, when its complete it will be a classic bike in every sense. I'll be taking it to motorcycle shows. Hope that explains the why bit.

ukizook

You're on the ball Uzicook. Its an FS1, an offshoot. Basically an FS1E without pedals. Slightly bigger tank & seat, but its an FS1E other than that.

And don't forget the front frame thats absent on the FS1e ;) Good luck with the project and be careful it don't take all of you time, I've had a few classics and used to help run the old "Lancashire bike show" and still have an old CB 400/4 and Ducati Paso 906ie that sometimes come out of the wraps for a few shows. I preffer to ride them rather than polish them nowadays though ;)

Martyn

excellent Photos, but I would be in deep stuff if I hadnt weeded fist !

martin

Stand up for yourself man :) I wear the trousers in our house I just don't pick which ones and when to wear them :redface:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom