Terry

Departing Turkey in Turkish plated van
I think I have most things in hand including the Green Card insurance (often mentioned not needed in EU) but my question to my learned friends out there is; Say I decide not to return in the van to Turkey which is likely is there some things I require to do just in case and if I stay out of Turkey and want to register the van in the EU somewhere and change the plates etc.
Many thanks

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
If your van is on normal Turkish plates you should not need anything else. You can re-register in the EU but will have to pay the import duty.

Terry

Thank you for that my friend. But I was wondering also if you needed a document or something to say the vans origin or certificate to complete the transfer smoothly to an EU country. I didn't want any problems if and when I come back into TR and leave the van outside the country as most things seem to come back and bite you huh.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Come to think of it it would be best to deregister it when you come back. you may need the plates for this and the document that shows importation into the EU country, the vehicle would also have to be in your name. If you don't deregister it you will be liable for road tax in Turkey each year.

flensdorf

Terry.
You will also need a eu certificate of conformity +VAT + Custom fees+in Portugal there is also an extra hefty registration tax+ probably emission tests (noise/exhaust) as the van is from outside of eu. A little too much of stress we thought when leaving TR.
We sold our car in Turkey and brought another in PT after the move.

Last edited:

enoch

Try looking here

https://www.justlanded.com

It seems to be saying if you have lived out of the uk for 12 mouths,owned the car for more than 6 mouths.Not in a Eu country payed vat and tax you could be exempt from duty only if you keep it for more than 12 mouths . I hope this helps

It also gives you the same info on the gov web site

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom