Denial costs lives.
I'm in Kenya right now and getting eye-witness reports from Somali development workers as we develop emergency plans for sanitation for the countless refugees. consensus is:

1. everyone saw it coming, and there was more than enough warning
2. it was ignored as the disaster was intended to run its course so that foreign interests could more easily manipulate a Somalia that was on its knees than one that was on its feet

If this disaster was known well in advance, then it is simply silent warfare against the Somali people - Libya without the mess, aid as a weapon, and will turn into another PR stunt along the lines of Haiti. Call me a cynic, but Somali NGO workers see this as a planned disaster allowed to happen to bring the nation under globalist influence.

giglets

Denial costs lives.
It is indeed questionable, that the charities and related organisations have waited so long to launch a massive aid campaign, when analysts and aid workers alike, knew that the situation was so critical well in advance.

More questionable however is the lack of responsibility of the Governments in the countries concerned and throughout the Continent.

Criticising the West and accusing it of constant interference does not preclude them from taking matters into their own hands. Unfortunately, at the moment, it seems that the Continent is not yet ready, or does not have the resources and capabilities, to deal with it's all too obvious problems, on its own.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Denial costs lives.
We have "Climate Change" pushed down our throats by governments and World Wide organisations - mainly as an excuse/reason to increase taxation. But I donĀ“t see much evidence of this argument being used to question whether some areas can sustain populations that currently just barely exist.

Surely the main point, rather than trying to feed millions of people, is whether millions of people can ever be fed by the available land and its new climate; de-population may be the logical conclusion.

Ian

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Denial costs lives.
Stupid and inhumane denial of clear facts is adding to the misery of these famine victims.

What a shame theres no oil to be had from Somalia!

Bearing in mind that the country has been gripped by civil war during the last 20yrs, since the last famine 1991 which killed over 300.000, we have not made much progress have we?

Now looking at a situation where possibly over 10 million people are moving towards death by starvation if you look at Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya together.

Where is the aid from U.S.A? Oops, sorry, no oil to be had.
What we need is another Sir Bob Geldof to stand and scream in front of politicians. We can also help in the meantime by texting CRISIS to 70000, every text means a 5pound donation to East Africa Crisis Appeal.

Help save a life, Please.

Hilsjw

Denial costs lives.
Wouldn't give them a penny. It's all their own fault i.e. corruption, civil war (s) deforestation etc. Where has all the millions of dollars gone that has been sent year after year ? No progress at all. And don't talk to me about BobGeldorf !!!

Hilsjw

Denial costs lives.
Of course it's gastly and heartbreaking to see. BUT it is their own Governments fault. Where has all the money gone ? It's not helped those poor people in anyway at all. Just look at the crisis that they are in now. Most of the money sent will just enrich the few at the top. Seen the big cars and bank accounts that they've managed to get ?

panther

Denial costs lives.
Drought is the factor. Just look at the animals dying. Does this mean its the fault of the powers that be.

It is too hot a country and if it doesn't rain then no crops. No water to drink.

In years gone by we have had droughts here, if some people can remember. I remember when I was a kid going to a council wagon and got pales of water.

giglets

Denial costs lives.
There are plenty of other countries which have annual/bi-annual droughts, but plan accordingly and avoid the kind of disaster now hitting Somalia and other nations in the Horn of Africa.

The incompetent and corrupt Somali Government must shoulder the majority of blame for this catastrophe, BUT, the response of both the EU and US has been slow and insufficient to the needs of the people there.

This reluctance to give the amount of Aid needed, is, in no small part, due to the fact that Al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab militants kicked out most of the International Aid Agencies in 2010, from exactly those parts of the country where the famine has hit hardest and then completely denied that any food shortage existed.

Now that they have allowed those agencies to return, it is to be hoped that Aid will dramatically increase - however, the danger still exists that this organisation will now grab a substantial amount of the food and other commodities for their own purposes, rather than let it get to those who really need it.

Very complex situation and far too simplistic to fling all the responsibility at the Big Bad West.

One thing is certain though - those poor sods who are on the receiving end of all this and may die as a result, CANNOT be blamed for anything in this bloody mess.

They have no power, no influence and, unless we all get our act together, no future!

Last edited:
Denial costs lives.
i cant forget the last famine in this country..
the haunting picture of a starving baby dying in its starving dying mothers arms.

the rights and wrongs don't matter when this is the end result..

they need help.....and this is a rich world...

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Denial costs lives.
Wouldn't give them a penny. It's all their own fault i.e. corruption, civil war (s) deforestation etc. Where has all the millions of dollars gone that has been sent year after year ? No progress at all. And don't talk to me about BobGeldorf !!!

People with your attitude just leave me cold.

Send the text, it costs you a fiver. I accept that half the aid going into any drought ridden country almost always ends up going to the armed forces. It still means that for every 2 million going in, ONE million is providing vaccines, food, water and sanitation for those most in need.

You think it right that a Somalian child should have to walk out of his own country to Ethiopia, his parents having been killed? He takes 4 siblings into the camp with him only to be told that 2 of them have died through the night. They are dying because people like yourself do nothing to help.
5 pounds, not even the cost of 3 Efes!!!
You probably claim to be Christian too.
Bob Geldof? You probably never even met the guy so how would you be qualified to malign him?

So easy to shout about Political wrongs, not difficult to help those in need.

Denial costs lives.
Is the Somalia Government to blame? Probably yes, they will have skimmed cash from previous aid given, but no one can make it rain, and until we get these people clean water to drink and give to their animals, crops etc, they are starving to death before our eyes. Should we help them? Yes. Why? Because we can. Mothers are leaving their babies by the side of the road because they have two or three other children who need carrying, and the one that is left is too weak to walk on their own. Imagine having to make that decision. I have just popped along to sainsbury's and spent about a fiver, got myself a sandwich and a drink and a bag of Wotsits, also in my nice office I have clean water to drink any time I want. I know times are hard in the UK, Turkey - all over the world in fact for various reasons, but we're not dying. I am a Christian, but I'm not helping Somalia or asking you to because of that, I'm doing it because I can, and as a human being I think I should. Babies are dying, and whatever their parents have done, or their leaders, governments etc, no baby should die for lack of water and food, and no parent should have to see it. Please give what you can. Thanks.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Denial costs lives.
Wouldn't give them a penny. It's all their own fault i.e. corruption, civil war (s) deforestation etc.

Hello again.
Just dawned on me, I didn't ask you to give them a penny, I asked you to text them a fiver!! A penny is no good to man nor beast in this day and age.

I see there are 20.751 TLF members. Excluding Hilsjw who seems to be holding Somalian children responsible for corruption, civil war and deforestation (???????), that leaves 20.750 of us.

If we all sent just ONE text, we'd contribute 103.750 pounds. Allowing for the fact that the army keeps at least 1/2 of all incoming aid, the change would still provide 100.000 or so Cholera vaccines, or food, or whatever.

I'll give it you again. Text CHRISIS to 70000. 5 pound immediate donation to fund. Cash is the only thing at this moment that can help provide what these refugees need in the short-term.

A little help is worth a lot of pity.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom