Wedgy

Death and Wills
I have just joined this Forum so that I could post this thread.

My husband, a dual national, died last June.

He made a will leaving everything to me.

Wills are NOT recognized here in Turkey by the courts.

Solicitor's here are charging huge sums to draw up wills which are not worth the paper they are written on.

Children are protected to the detriment of their parents. My daughter was only 9 when her father died.

Children receive three quarters of assets belonging to the deceased parent.

When I say children, this includes all children, children from previous relationships and illegitimate children.

I strongly urge all of you with assets here, to sign the petition on Kusadasi Biz for the right of the last will and testament.

The more who sign the better, so we can put pressure on the Turkish government. I do not wish to change Turkish law, I just want people's wills to be upheld according to their wishes and for the state to step in only when no will has been left.

hijo

in my own clique
Death and Wills
..we signed it Wedgy about 4 days ago ,every bit does help....and well done Joy for setting this up..:Flower:

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Death and Wills
Wills are recognised but they can not exclude people in the way, for example, a UK will might. Turkish friends of mine consider this a fair system.

When you say you do not want to change Turkish law, I am unclear what else you see happening - if the law does not change the status quo is maintained.

Ian

Guz1

Death and Wills
Welcome, Wedgy, to the forum. You won't be able to post a link to the petition until you have a few more posts under your belt so maybe someone else would do the honours (hint to Hijo).

It would be a weight of people's minds if your petition were successful but, as Immac says, I think it would require a change in the law which would affect Turks as well as foreigners.

Death and Wills
All that is needed is that the Turkish Government ammend the law to have a clause in the law which says foriegners wills are to be acted on as if they were in the land of birth or that a will made in your land of birth is recognised under Turkish law.

Martyn

Death and Wills
All that is needed is that the Turkish Government ammend the law to have a clause in the law which says foriegners wills are to be acted on as if they were in the land of birth or that a will made in your land of birth is recognised under Turkish law.

Would we do the same? I doubt it. It would probably be as per the British will system, I don't know just guessing.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom