butt007

Warren
DANGER.Marble spiral staircase
My mate has a marble spiral staircase, I hate them they are so dangerouse in my opinion, narrow to a point at one side where you cannot put your foot, so you are forced to use the other side of the steps.
He was going up with a plastic cup of water in each hand and had reached the halfway mark when he spilt a little bit on the next step up, put his foot on it and ..........WWWUUUMMMPPHH went flying backwards on his side down to the bottom!!!!
He was very lucky not to get seriously injured, just badly shaken up (he's 67) he has'nt been to the hospital for a check-up, though I keep telling him he should as he is badly bruised down his left side and he could have a cracked rib or something "Oh, I'll go in a few days he says".
I dunno, something like that and I'd be there like a shot, anyway they are getting somebody in to glue strips of carpet onto the steps.
So I probably don't have to tell people, but please be very careful on spiral staircases they ARE dangerouse.
Warren

Not just spiral staircases.
I had hosed downthe patio as i do every morning & slipped, injured my face on a window ledge & pulled disc apart in my spine, luckly only doing nerve damage.
It took a week for the pain to start & 6 months of agony (I mean agony) before the healing process started & pain subsided on its own accord.
So yes people be carefull out there.

Karyn UK

I had a friend in Mexico slip on the marble floor after coming out of the shower and break his hip, repatriating him to the USA nearly bankrupt him. Ever since, in every house, I have always laid ceramics with a surface on them, normally porcelain ones, and if I have marble outside I use the matt travertine.

I've always been really fussy with the riser height of any steps as well, they all have to be the same, or your brain gets confused and it is easier to miss a step. It used to drive my workers mad the way I made them re do steps if they weren't all the same.

And after all that I fell down the stairs (wooden) in my house six weeks ago and got a bruise the size of Belgium on my backside. Not that there was anything wrong with the stairs, just because I'm a clumsy cow! I was lucky I wasn't my own next hip replacement patient.

Karyn

teresa

Free Thinker
True gwendy. We had to put in handrails on our marble stairs as there were none at all. We visited Burger King recently and they had the anti slip strips on the stairs - I thought they were very effective and I will be looking into getting them.

We are getting older and the stairs and floors here are not as soft as floorboards and carpet, which can help absorb the shock when we fall.

Last edited:

james1873

True gwendy. We had to put in handrails on our marble stairs as there were none at all. I visited somewhere recently with the anti slip strips on the stairs - they were very effective and I will be looking into getting them.

We are getting older and the stairs and floors here are not as soft as floorboards and carpet.

I have a wee Duplex in Altinkum with a Marble Staircase and I have also considered fitting a handrail. Her who must be obeyed fancies a Stainless Steel one so I am wondering if anybody knows a Supplier/Fitter in the Didim area and also a rough estimate of cost.

butt007

Warren
Yes Mushtaq they have those strips at 1inch wide on the steps-- 2 to each step but he still slipped somehow, this happened last Friday night 11.30pm and is still hobbling around on two sticks.
As freetime says any marble or tiled floor is very slippery when wet.
Warren

I have had alluminum handrails fitted, by the guy who supplies & fits all the alluminum rails around restuarants cafes etc in the Marmaris area . There must be one the same around your area.
Cost approx £50 per long rail with brackets fitted.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom