edeller

Damp....
Hello All!
Looking at all the empty properties on my visit last week. Most were between 5 and 8 years old, some had been lived in but only in the summer months and the rest had never really been lived in at all.

Damp prevailed :eek:, I suspect mainly due to condensation. Ive read up about this and the need for good ventilation etc etc so from that point of view it doesnt put me off buying (if I can put things right). However, theres always a chance I could be buying a whole can of worms of and that actually what Im looking at is also due a type of rising damp which may be in the early stages. I was at an advantage viewing properties at their worst, during and after rainfall/ in winter etc etc.

Does anyone know whether properties built over there say in the last 5 years or so have a proper damp course??

What should I look out for in a serious problem i.e not just due to poor ventilation over a long period of time?

Looking forward to coming back :roundgrin

Emma

juco

Damp....
Pretty much most of the builds do not have a damp proof course, some have only recently started to do this with new builds. The other problem is most builds are single skin and most do not have proper sealing around the windows & doors. If you have a flat roof then a lot have problems due to improper sealing.

Ventilation may ease the indoor problem but unless you start to tackle the cause it will never recede.

Over a period you can start to eliminate a lot of the problems. Bear in mind the Turkish over the years never seemed to bother about it and the houses are still standing.

panther

Damp....
Bowls of salt help. They attract moisture. New properties are drying out during the first few years.

To keep all inside doors open and keep furniture away from the walls. Keep kitchen and wardrobe doors open when you go away.

patrish

Damp....
New builds by law are meant to have a damp proof liner on as from near the end of last year.This is the first year we have not had any damp and a lot is the salt just drying out of bricks

carolk

R.I.P
Damp....
I had a lot of problems with mine last but this year, none after a lot of work. My flat roof was taken off and done as it would be if you were building a pool atop a hotel, so it can be done. Really, it depends on how much you want the house LOL.

Damp....
our apartment is not flat on the ground ie slightly raised and has an apartment above us who get damp from the roof. We put crystals or salt in the rooms and as above leave drawers, cupboards and wardrobes open in the winter months. We also have someone call in regularly and open windows. When we are there from May to October the wiows are aways open and even when we were out in January we left the windows open during the day to let the air in. Possibly if you are really close to the sea you may get more damp air not sure. You can only do your best to elimante these problems.Good luck, hope you find your ideal place

ZiaCa'

Damp....
I lived in a house that had a rising damp problem and it didn't get any better with ventilation, even in the summer. The damp was over a metre high on internal walls as it was rising from under the house.

I'd bear in mind that there are health problems attached to living long term in a damp environment and if you had to resell your property as it may well put off any buyers.

Last edited:

edeller

Damp....
Thanks Everyone,
Seems like par for the course. Its a ground floor apartment Im considering.....one more apartment above. If the roof or the terrace above needed replacing/repairing, what generally happens? I can see a slight gap in the grout of the terrace above which during recent rain has let a trickle or two into the ground floor ceiling. The upstairs owners are not expect back until mid summer.....
Emma

juco

Damp....
If the roof or the terrace above needed replacing/repairing, what generally happens?

You can go the full hog and lift all the tiles then put down a waterproof membrane and relay the tiles on top of that, however, a cheaper option to start with is a couple of tubes os silicon sealant and put this along all the edges, this may well cure the leak as the floor may already have a membrane but not sealed properly at the edges.

edeller

Damp....
Thank you Juco....I mean..... the apartment upstairs......because they "have the roof", presumably its their responsibility to maintain it? If its left empty for years without anyone maintaining the place and it deteriorates leaving me downstairs with lots of water coming in????? Do the management company step in?
Emma

edeller

Damp....
Will put a few pics in my gallery if anyone would be kind enough to give me their opinion. I think its mainly due to condensation except one area which looks like a leak from the upstairs terrace I mentioned.
Emma

juco

Damp....
presumably its their responsibility to maintain it? If its left empty for years without anyone maintaining the place and it deteriorates leaving me downstairs with lots of water coming in????? Do the management company step in?

depends on contract. I doubt if they will do it for free and they would likely need authorisation for access, and the `upstairs` owners probably dont care if not affecting theirs.

Have you access to the roof?

edeller

Damp....
Can get to it via the upstairs terrace, thats a good idea, might see if I can get someone on site to go and have a squiz at the roof....

juco

Damp....
Can get to it via the upstairs terrace, thats a good idea, might see if I can get someone on site to go and have a squiz at the roof....

Personally if you can access it I would keep quiet and get up there when nobody is looking with a couple of tubes of silicone, do all the edges (or at least the suspect ones) and deny all knowledge of ever having been there.

Wardentree

Aktas Gumusluk/Spalding
Damp....
Will put a few pics in my gallery if anyone would be kind enough to give me their opinion. I think its mainly due to condensation except one area which looks like a leak from the upstairs terrace I mentioned.
Emma

Edeller Your damp looks like mine its comes in when the wind blows and it raining hard you got to seal all holes round windows and on roof its penetrating because its only single skinned and water will always find a way in and get into the wall and wick from the plaster.

Martin.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom