Philogic

Damaged baggage
Hi all, on arriving at Antalya we discovered one of our bags damaged, one of the wheels completely broken off. We got the proper Property Irregularity Report and sent it to the Thomas Cook Luggage Loss Adjusters three weeks later [when we got back] who replied that the conditions of the Montreal Convention state that claims must be made within seven days. This is pretty impossible from Turkey as most mail takes ten days anyway. A few years ago I had a similar problem when getting back to Gatwick, they paid up that time. I know we could claim through our own insurers but probably wont bother. Anyone else had any similar problems.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Damaged baggage
There is information here about what you can do.

I would certainly write back to Thomas Cook explaining why you didn't report within the 7 day deadline. If you're not in, you can't win as they say...

C

tomc1984

Damaged baggage
Think what the convention does say is that it has to be reported withing 7 days, so if you told someone at the airport and got a form you should be OK. In the meantime have a look at Rhod Gilbert the Welsh comedian talking about luggage damage, you think your's was bad, it's hilarious. Sorry if you are in Turkey, youtube won't work.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U]YouTube - Rhod Gilbert - Luggage on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow[/ame]

Philogic

Damaged baggage
Will certainly write to TC. Just a thought, as they charge a separate fee for bags, does that make them 'more' responible for it?

tomc1984

Damaged baggage
Just looked ast the convetion and it staes

"2. In the case of damage, the person entitled to delivery must complain to the carrier forthwith after the discovery of the damage, and, at the latest, within seven days from the date of receipt in the case of checked baggage and fourteen days from the date of receipt in the case of cargo. In the case of delay, the complaint must be made at the latest within twenty-one days from the date on which the baggage or cargo have been placed at his or her disposal."

this in my mind means that as I have said you must complain there and then to somebody and get proof, then make aa claim ASAP. Think though you are right to fight them, cases are not cheap these days.

Philogic

Damaged baggage
We got all the neccessary paperwork including the PIR at Antalya Airport [took just a few minutes] but there is no Thomasa Cook office in Antalya so how can you claim within the neccessary time limit? We were there for three weeks.

M

Mack

Damaged baggage
My wife returned from the UK into Antalya airport last night and I found my best Helly Hanson holdall had a handle ripped off :( . Unfortunately she didnt know about any claims procedure so it'll be given a proper bin burial but perhaps theyre hiring some not-so-delicate throwers (luggage handlers) down there now? Isnt it the responsibility of the airport though (Havas in the case of Antalya) as they employ the throwers?

Love the video Tom, thanks. :)

Roydsio

Damaged baggage
No it's the responsibility of the airline. Your contract is with them and not any baggage handling company. You claim off the airline and they in turn claim off the handlers etc.

With ref to Thomas Crook they are well known for dismissing claims at first point of contact. They send a standard letter in response to your claim and then close their file. You need to respond to their letter and give them a reasonable timescale (probaly 21 days) to settle your claim. They may then even try to dismiss it again. If they do give them a final notice letter advising them you will proceed to recover monies owed and will also persue debt recovery fees and interest - this should then do the trick.

Hope this helps

Sharon

Damaged baggage
Sharon is quite right,
the holiday companies issue standard "not interested" letters for most claims working on the theory that the law of averages is in their favour and most people will abandon their claim.
I had a 6 month battle with Thomas Cook over personal injury sustained in one of their properties (the last time we ever booked a package!), it went from not their problem to a payout in 6 months when I had threatened sufficiently...got to be determined though and record all phone calls and copy all letters you send (they tried the old.."we never received that letter" routine too!!!).
Don't let it go...

Damaged baggage
when my suitcase was badly damaged.I had to fill in a form at Dalaman airport.I was told I had to claim my own insurance which had a £50 excess for baggage.My suitcase cost less than £50 so no claim received.I had to bin the suitcase.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom