saffie

Saffie
Customer rights in Turkey
Hi Guys,

Wondering if any of you can advise me about customer rights here in Turkey.

After the severe floods in October 2008 I had to buy a new wardrobe as much of my furniture was ruined because I was in the Uk at the time of the flood and got back to find the apartment full of water,mould and mildew and the wooden furniture all split apart.

I got a very nice wardrobe from Bellona/Idas shop here in Marmaris and was quite pleased with it until I returned from Uk to find one of the mirrors on the wardrobe door had fallen off and smashed all across the bed and bedroom floor. ( Just what you need when you walk in the door after a flight eh?)

I went to the shop to report the damage and was told a service engineer would call round. He did a few days later and I was told they would order a new door. Ater waiting a couple of weeks and no news of the new door I went back to ask what was happening about the new mirror door. They said they would send an engineer round!!! EH? Engineer duly arrived and noted the model and another trip back to the shop resolved that a new door would be ordered and I had to be patient. Many trips and phone calls back and forth to the store later ( 7 MONTHS actually.)...they finally said my door was going to be fixed. Engineer turned up.......with the wrong door!!!! Another month later I finally got the door replaced. All's well that ends well.

Or so I thought........went to the Uk for my daughters wedding and the honeymoon couple were using the apartment for their 2 week honeymoon and I got a call the night they arrived.....Mum....we arrived ok and took the suitcases upstairs and then made a cuppa and sat on the balcony. Then there was a huge crash and we rushed upstairs to find shattered glass everywhere.....the door of your gorgeous wardrobe has fallen off and smashed all over the place!!!

Went back to Bellona as soon as I arrived back here and relayed this to them.........they sent an engineer...despite me taking photographs of the damage and the model and the brochure. They ordered another door but I was still complaining that the doors are faulty because there are 4 doors each with mirrors stuck on them.....I mean huge mirrors guys....each mirror is 1.5 metres x 0.5 metre. That's a lot of glass to smash! Well they are "stuck" on with double sided sticky tapes about the size of a plaster??? I know the "Elf and Safety" brigade is well out of control in the Uk but really.........is it safe to hang mirrors of that size on a door in a hot country with sticky tape? Shouldn't they be screwed on or something?

They replaced the door again and a few days later my son and his family arrived for a holiday..............they have two babies aged 11 months and 2 yrs. One day their Mum was laying on the bed with the 11 month old trying to get him to go to sleep in theis heat for a bit and ..............CRASH!!!! The thrid door went crashing down covering them in splinters of glass and making a hell of a mess. Fortunately no one was seriously injured....( a few cuts and grazes.....but they COULD have been. It could have taken someone's foot off had they been standing at the actual door when it fell,and it could have spliced straight through a baby or toddler!!!

I was furious and stormed straight down to Bellona. Problem is none of them speak English and my Turkish isn't bad,but insufficient for this sort of thing. I got a friend to phone them also as I am Sooooo angry and I don't want them just to stick yet another glass door on which will,likely as not,do the same thing.

The doors are downright dangerous.....end of. I am getting kind of fed up with the shrugs and smiles and the" this is turkey!!" kind of response from them. Bellona/Idas isn't some two bit cheap shop and the wardrobe retails at 1900 TL.......so it's not supposed to fall to bits every few weeks. Am also sick of having to travel down to the shop and spend a fortune in phone calls over all this. I feel like I am part of the furniture there now myself!

Any advice guys????

dalyansteve

First of all, I am very sorry you are having these sort of problems. You could try talking to the Zabita, there should be someone who speaks English and they cover weights and measures so to speak. If this and everything else has failed, a lawyers letter threatening the law and asking for a replacement and damages. As the mirror doors are likely to fall off again, you could ,as a last resort, get a glazing company to mount them properly. A good quality silicon sealant should do the trick.

Peregrine

first point - did you have insurance for the flooding incident?

second point - if you buy a wardrobe and install it in a house you should reasonably expect it to be fit for purpose BUT if you leave it unattended in a damp house for most of the year you cant expect it to last ion the same way as in a normal house

and yes its normal to use sticky tape to fix things like mirrors to doors, BUT its not normal to leave them like you have

best advice - get a wardrobe door without a mirror on it

saffie

Saffie
Ok......I live here on a permanent basis. Only went to the uk for a couple of family visits so the house isn't left for any long periods of time. Just unfortunate that both times I did leave,this happened. I did have insurance for the flooding though only got around half what everything was insured for.

The house isn't damp. The flooding previously was because the balcony drain blocked with leaves and the water rose up the balcony and burst it's way under the patio doors. All the balcony drains have been replaced and made bigger with grids on to prevent this happening again. The wardrobe was bought AFTER the flooding and once everything was sorted out and the house properly dried out.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
There's some information here on Turkish Legislation on Consumer Protection.

Good luck

C

saffie

Saffie
Thanks for the useful info.....will go and check it all out and hope to resolve the problem. I did speak to a builder yesterday who has recommended using sycoflex when the new mirror is delivered to alleviate the problem once and for all. He reckons that this stuff would glue anything permanently,so will try it.

Guz1

Saffie,

Such a frightening experience for you and your family. Sorry I can't offer any advice about consumer protection. It did occur to me, however, that in Turkey it is best to position wordrobes where they or their contents cannot topple onto the bed during an earthquake. Please don't be offended if I'm telling you something you already know.......it's a hazard that others might not be aware of.

I hope you get a refund from the shop. Good luck.

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Not sure if a sealant is the ideal solution, obviously you will have to take the door off to apply!! Another idea (if the doors are solid), is to use the special brackets you use to fit mirrors to walls (maybe with sealant as well??). Food for thought.

saffie

Saffie
Thank you for the useful replies.

The wardrobe is well away from the bed so no danger of earthquake causing me to get crushed,was more concerned with getting my feet lopped off if it happens again when I open it or glass in my eyes. A 1.5 metre lump of glass could cause some serious damage.

Am going back to the shop tomorrow to see what they have done about it as they said they would fax the Head Office in Istanbul for advice. If they only agree to replace it am going to speak to the local glass bloke and get him to fit it more securely next time.

Thanks again guys.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom