SAMIMI

EX MEMBER
Culture shock - what is your experience?
Now that my honeymoon period of living in Turkey has passed, I find myself getting angry and frustrated at how things are done differently here in Turkey.
I try to analysis it and am coming round to accepting that life is indeed different here.

I have to work hard at trying to integrate into life here. I know it does not get me anywhere by comparing life here to life at home. I realise that it is a privilege to be able to live in a foreign country and to experience a different culture.
I am now finding that people are very happy to accept us but we really have to speak the language or we will be left on our own.

I found this very interesting article and hope it will help others to adapt to the culture shock too.

BBC - h2g2 - How to Cope with Culture Shock

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
I too have not been able to adjust and it's been almost 7 years. Can't get my head around many things they do here. I have come to accept I never will but still find it difficult.

Biker Bob

red

Sammi - it is a really good article:) It reminds me I must make more efforts to learn Turkish - merhabba just isn't enough:) To turn a pipe dream into reality will take a lot more effort - you have made a/the brave step - I hope you don't lose sight of that:)

abla

I have been here for over 20 years and speak the lingo and I am still trying to get my head round the logic!!At the moment there are certain things they are doing to be the same as Europe eg.smoking ban and MOT tests.price rises but..............thought for the workers is not taken into account eg. hours and wages...........

I have been here for over 20 years and speak the lingo and I am still trying to get my head round the logic!!At the moment there are certain things they are doing to be the same as Europe eg.smoking ban and MOT tests.price rises but..............thought for the workers is not taken into account eg. hours and wages...........

You mean there's logic?????:hmm:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom