immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Crunch Time
The problem with figures like this is that they don´t tell you much by themselves. Is 2,600 higher or lower than other years; is it a figure to worry about, etc., etc.

No indication is given about the businesses concerned - size, capitalisation, management style - although the clue comes in the accompanying statement which, typically, puts the blame not on the businesses, but, "He blamed very cheap all inclusive holidays for contributing to the woe’s of small business owners especially in Marmaris, and asked for Government support for small businesses in Muğla."

At some point businesses will start to realise that unless they follow good business practice they will go under. The training should be in how to conduct sound business not in how to get government support.

Time and time again on this forum we hear of sharp practice, dishonesty and price fixing to screw the foreigners. Businesses like that deserve to go broke, not pick up state handouts.

This official should be asking how the businesses can be more responsive, not blaming parts of the sector (all inclusive) who get it right and give the customers what they want. Unfortunately, this short statement could be seen as encompassing most of what is wrong with small tourist-related businesses in this part of Turkey - blame someone else.

Ian

carolk

R.I.P
Crunch Time
Thats a very good post Ian. They need to learn from it (they really do) not apportion blame!.

So many are going here in Altinkum for the same reasons you describe and I for one am not sorry to see some of them go.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Crunch Time
At some point businesses will start to realise that unless they follow good business practice they will go under. The training should be in how to conduct sound business not in how to get government support.

There is only one way to improve good business sense,and that is to have the sense to listen to the people and to stop ignoring what their gripes are about.Also they must take in what is read in the local papers and on the forums,since these are coming straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
lf they wish to ignore all the gripes from their future customers and carry on blaming others and not themselves,then it is just a slippery downhill slope for them, where they cannot climb out of no matter how hard they try.
ln other words, they have been warned of the dangers and they have made the decission to ignore the good advice that can help them to achieve a good profitable business to flourish.

One of the most important attitudes to have is to think the customer is your wage and your future,therefore isn't it best to use the customer to your advantage by giving the customer something for him to spread the news around about the business your in.
This is free advertisement for the business and the best advertisement of all is the wagging tongue.Why can't they see that.lt is so obvious

Last edited:

ted j

Crunch Time
Totally agree with you Bob, about the customer being your wage .I have always tried to do the best job i can for each customer and have never had to advertise word of mouth did it for me. Ted

gren

Crunch Time
I'm sure its not helped by the big boys muscling in to some areas, putting smaller local traders out of business.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom