immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Crowd Trouble
I don´t know who Fethiye football team are playing tonight but the trouble has already started. Crowds of the visıting team´s supporters are rampaging through the streets with the police in pursuit.
Outside my apartment (at 18.30) dozens were ripping up posts to use as weapons, running through the traffic and chanting nasty things (one imagines, as we did not do football chants in my language course!).
Police firing their pistols in the air to frighten them back toward the stadıum - but they did not seem very frightened.
Locals gathering to step in if needed.

Not sure who won, and the match has not started yet.

Ian

Last edited:

Bubskar

Crowd Trouble
Oof don't sound good at all for an afternoon stroll along the cordon??? I've been to a few matches over the years and it's always been a bit narky but never seen anything like that. I bet the police saw a bit of action for once in this erstwhile quiet troublefree town. A bit worrying though for residents to witness. Fingers crossed for post-match. I must say a good Turkish match is not the same without a punchup I am told - sadly. How passionate these boys are about their little game of kicking a ball around!

lewknor

lewknor
Crowd Trouble
I think they are due to play Goztepe tonight - a newly promoted team who presumably are out to make their mark ! Keep indoors !

Crowd Trouble
30th Aug. Goztepe
13th Sept Tepecikspor
27th Sept Alanyaspor
7th Oct Eyupspor
18th Oct Akhisar
8th Nov istanbulspor
22nd Nov Turgutluspor
6th Dec Denizli
13th Dec Sariyer
27th Dec Konya Sekerspor

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Crowd Trouble
and Ive just been offered tickets for the man u besiktas game.. in the turkish end !!!

might not bother

martin

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Crowd Trouble
ive already got a bullet proof jacket as I drive past citys ground every now and then, but I dont want a gun

martin

Chudleigh

Crowd Trouble
And I was buying a property there too (not in the stadium I hasten to add). Sadly, that may not be happening after all. Sorry Bubskar, looks like we will not be meeting up after all - as per your suggestion all those months ago.
Shame- quite fancy getting closer to the action, very entertaining!!

Bubskar

Crowd Trouble
Well Goztepe certainly made their mark in our little bit of paradise. Last night at about 00.30 I was coming on the main highway road towards Ciftlik from Yanikler when I witnessed an unbelievable sight. For about 3 kilometers between Yanikler and Kargi (the main airport road) I saw that the road was awash with broken glass and rocks. Because of stationary vehicles and minibuses along the route, I just assumed that there had been a major accident, although thinking about it there was too much debris for even one truck to lose its load assuming the load was glass bottles! Police presence was vast as I neared Kargi and the 'locals' were out in droves. It soon became apparent that the away team's fans had left there mark to remember them by. This 'incident' for it is a mystery as to what actually happened, occurred between 10.30 and 00.00 and I am glad that I avoided the altercation for it must have been horrendous. I am sure this will be reported on our local TV station and would not be surprised if it reached the National stations also.

What a disgrace and how can behaviour of this nature be avoided in the future.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Crowd Trouble
It was strange because I did not hear a sound from the stadium during the match; usually I can hear the crowd cheering - but nothing; if the lights had not been on you would not have known there was a match going on. Obviously the cork came off the bottle, so to speak, afterwards.

Ian

Bubskar

Crowd Trouble
That is really strange. I can only think that maybe the match was 'fan-barred' because of earlier incidents and the police thought it safer? What I saw was too much debris for a road accident and also I was with a Turkish friend, who as is their custom, stopped the car to ask the crowds 'what had happened' and was told that it was vandalism from football fans.

saffie

Saffie
Crowd Trouble
Goodness me KKOB......
Well am glad I wasn't at that match. Looks a right mess
and no excuse for that sort of vandalism.

I love football,but see no reason at all for this sort of
disgusting behaviour.

Glad I only watch it on the tv these days.
Took my young Grandson to the Emirates stadium with my son a year ago
and it was such a pleasure to attend. I can't understand the mentality of the thugs who are responsible for this sort of vandalism.

saffie

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Crowd Trouble
Goodness me KKOB......
Well am glad I wasn't at that match. Looks a right mess
and no excuse for that sort of vandalism.

I love football,but see no reason at all for this sort of
disgusting behaviour.

Glad I only watch it on the tv these days.
Took my young Grandson to the Emirates stadium with my son a year ago
and it was such a pleasure to attend. I can't understand the mentality of the thugs who are responsible for this sort of vandalism.

saffie

Sadly it's everywhere, spoiling the game.

Bubskar

Crowd Trouble
Thanks for that Carol. I must say that I only witnessed the aftermath of this incident at 00.30 and can only imagine that this must have been a terrifying experience for the Goztepe team. A case of tit-for-tat unfortunately. As the team manager suggests, the facilities and security at Fethiye Spor were inadequate on the day and it would seem that the police and belediye were caught short on this occasion. Fethiye afterall is only a small town in comparison to the population of Izmir. I was a little surprised to read that there were 136 police! Where do they hang out on a normal quite day in Town? Anyway it remains to be seen what happens now by way of punishment for both teams and their supporters.

It was a sad and bad day for us here and hope there is never a repeat.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom