Crime In Akbuk
This article in this week's Voices Newspaper surprised me a little.
We were always told that Akbuk was virtually crime-free (although it was by an Estate Agent!).
Maybe at one time, but not any more?
What do you think?
Mel.

..."THE rise in anti-social disorder among teenagers and youths in Akbük has sparked an urgent meeting spearheaded by the town’s mayor.

Mayor Erçin Sandalcı sat down with mukhtars and representatives of political parties and NGOs to seek measures to cut down the incidents of attacks, burglaries and graffiti in and around the area.

Mayor Sandalcı said: “The troubles, the incidents caused by some youngsters in Akbük have increased lately.

“This was already a problem in Akbük; we kept having similar incidents which some youngsters were involved in, for either disturbing us or because of disturbances amongst themselves or for political reasons.”

But he said there had been an upsurge of more violent crime, and cited the incident of the attack on the Sümer Café, the breaking of windows, assaults and general troubles flaring in the area..."

Source - Voices Newspaper.

jewel

Crime In Akbuk
Hi Mel, well like you I was very surprised to read of the young vandals and grafitti artists !!! I do hope it is just isolated incidents and the young of Turkey don't emulate what many of our teenagers have inflicted on comunities.I have to admit that in all my time in Turkey I have never personally witnessed any anti social behaviour from the teenagers, but of course that does'nt mean that it does'nt go onAt least the Mayor is takeing note. jewel x

Akbuk Rob

Crime In Akbuk
Crime has definitely been on the increase in Akbuk the last couple of years. Burglaries are up, but the more worrying issue is the rise in violent crime.

In he last 12 months violent crimes included the mugging of a pensioner lady who had to be hospitalised here in Turkey and again in the UK as a result of the attack.

A triple stabbing resulting in 2 deaths.

An attempted murder by a man armed with a gun on a local restaurant manager.

The violent attack at the Sumer Café as reported in Voices, I was told by another restaurant/bar owner that the same gang attacked that establishment several months earlier.

I personally witnessed a very nasty attack on a man sitting in a restaurant by a group of men armed with batons.

And this is just a sample.

jewel

Crime In Akbuk
Good God, so seems teenagers arn't the main worry then.Probably money orientated Turk against Turk so to speak. A lovely place Akbul but sadly not sheilded from some of the incidents that have occured over the years in Altinkum,re- shootings,burglarys etc etc. I think the afluent new lifes some of them have gained from the influx of foreign cash from property etc may have fuelled some of the troubles, although just my opinion. jewel x

SHAWY

Crime In Akbuk
Like to ask Akbuk Rob what he means by a sample.I visit your site regular and it influenced my wife and myselfs decision to buy property in Akbuk,we will become residents early next year.Can I ask the question is crime on the increase or are we looking at the isolated incident. I hope we are not jumping out of the frying pan into the ???????????????????????????????

Akbuk Rob

Crime In Akbuk
Shawy.

As a regular visitor to my website you would have read our reports on 3 of the major incidents I wrote above.

By “sample” I mean just that (sample, example, specimen), there are more crimes and not all are reported to the authorities. But we should keep things in perspective, crime and or violent crime is on the increase in many places, I am sure there are problems in Lancashire too. I don’t know Lancs so I do not know what “frying pan” you are jumping out of, but I do know that Akbuk is a much safer place to live than many areas of UK regarding crime in general.

Most violent crimes I know about here are related to personal matters between family, business partners, money etc. Random violence against members of the public, with the exception of the pensioner mugging, are as rare as rocking horse poo in my experience and I am not so sure I swallow this story about Akbuk youths & teenagers rampaging about, I haven’t seen it, likewise where is all this graffiti in the town?

Quote from the article
“This was already a problem in Akbük; we kept having similar incidents which some youngsters were involved in, for either disturbing us or because of disturbances amongst themselves or for political reasons.”
Political reasons - Youngsters!

So far I have found all youngsters & teenagers in Akbuk to be both friendly and courteous, but maybe I haven’t been in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can only speak as I find it. The memsahib and I have no fear about walking the streets here day or night.

If my website influenced your wife’s and your decision to buy property in Akbuk I hope you took advantage of the facility to contact us with your questions, it’s a big decision to buy property in a foreign country and an even bigger one to move there.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggie

Crime In Akbuk
Having lived in Akbuk for almost two and a half years now obviously I have heard of many of the incidents that have occurred here but in those few years no more than what would happen in one of the major cities in the U.K. in say a month.

Akbuk as a whole is generally a quiet sleepy little village if something happens here most people get to find out and usually gets dealt with one way or another.

Yes there is a bit of Graffitti on the old church in Akbuk but thats about all Ive seen.

As for youths rampaging Where???????

As previously stated I think the majority of problems here are familly related not general public.

All the kids I have met here have been very polite and show a great deal of respect for their elders and show a great interest in getting to know us Ex Pats .

Hugs Maggie xxx

SHAWY

Crime In Akbuk
Akbuk Rob,
I have visited Turkey on three seperate occasions this year and not once have we experienced any problems in any shape or form from the Turkish public.Yes I have read the reports on your web site and I am just trying to say that the crime rate in England at present is becoming ridiculous,especially the younger generation and booze related violence,this as well as other aspects of UK life is one of the reasons we have decided to move abroad. We fell in love with Akbuk on our first visit and are looking forward to becoming residents,so when I read about crime in Akbuk being on the increase it does make you think a little. Having said that if Al Capone made a comeback over there we will still be moving in next year. Just like to say I like the forum and also your web site.

Shawy.

Crime In Akbuk
My intention wasn't to put anyone off moving to Akbuk.
Like I said, I was shocked and surprised when I read the article; I was interested to hear other peoples experiences.
Thanks for replying.
We love Akbuk, and hope that whatever problems it has can be sorted.

Mel (and Anne)

parrot

Crime In Akbuk
After a break in and theft of personal possesions from one of our neighbours, on our complex earlier this year I now have a piece of equipment for my and my wifes personal protection,which I wouldn't hesitate to use in the right circumstances.The question is would I be in the right to use it for protection,as would be the situation in the United States,or be prosecuted for assault as would probably be the case in the U.K. where the offender has more rights than the victim.How does the law stand on reasonable force and self defence.

spitfire

Frustrated Bolton Fan
Crime In Akbuk
We were always told that Akbuk was virtually crime-free (although it was by an Estate Agent!).

Yes we were told the same thing about Altinkum by our estate agent !!

I don't suppose they would sell many apartments if they told the truth about the increase in burglaries!! :17:

Allan

Howell's

Crime In Akbuk
Parrot..When ı asked the jandarma what force can we use ıf someone breaks ınto our property he ınformed me you cannot kıll them ın any room apart from your bedroom or a chılds room ıs even better.. Not sure why but thats what they saıd. But they also saıd you only kıll them ıf they are armed ın some way and you feel threatened. So my husband saıd he would drag them up to the bedroom and kıll hım then put a knıfe ın the burglars hand, or push he off the roof terrace and say he jumped..
We thought about gettıng a gun but then you have to thınk would ı use ıt ? because ıf you pull a gun he mıght also have one and he wont hesıtate to shoot you. I know that ı would panıc and hesıtate so the chances are he would kıll me before ıve dragged hım upstaırs before shootıng hım.

LyndaCB

Crime In Akbuk
I have lived in Akbuk for nearly 4 years and, in my opinion, feel very safe here.

I have never felt afraid to walk around alone or with my children, even during the evenings.

Some of the 'incidents' mentioned on this thread were between families (usually due to financial incidents) and did not involve anyone else. Of course there is some crime, is there anywhere in the world were nothing happens??

It would be a shame if people were put off this lovely place .....:9:

Lynda

Latest Posts

Top Bottom