bickern

Cricket 'was invented in Belgium'
New academic research claims cricket is not English, but was imported by immigrants from northern Belgium.

A poem thought to have been written in 1533 has been uncovered, which suggests the game originates from Flanders. In the work attributed to John Skelton, Flemish weavers are labelled "kings of crekettes", according to Paul Campbell of the Australian National University.

The discovery challenges the long established theory that the sport evolved from English children's games.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Cricket 'was invented in Belgium'

mollag

Kipper restorer
English "culture" pinched from Johnny Foreigner, oh dear, oh dear. :cheers:

TCJ

Surely it is a culinary reference? The Flemish being foodie experts, the kings of making potato croquettes. Australians wouldn't know about that being Johnny Foreigner cook-on-the-barbie types.

A89

Oh my God! My dad will be turning in his grave!!

:seenoevil:

alison

Chinook

Hardly new research Bickern its been around for some years. Didn't the poem refer to Flemish weavers who had settled in England. In which case they could have learnt from the local children.

Last edited:

mollag

Kipper restorer
Little wonder the foreign types so often give us a drubbing in the test matches, Cricket may well be a "borrowed" sport for England. Still and all, we never borrowed it off the Aussies.

martin m

I was surprised to learn (via Radio5Live) that the oldest international cricket match was between Canada and America.
Yes I heard the same this morning and the year was 1844.
martin

Two further cricketing extracts from my `store of useless information` are.. that the legendary WG Grace was also an English Lawn Bowls champion and Ted Dexter was a single handicap golfer....with both left and right hands.

Unfortunately - neither has been used in response to the various questions given out during the popular Friday night Quiz at Celebi`s (Akbuk).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom